• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video & audio recording glasses

John Hardin

antispam540

imported post

geojohn wrote:
Very cool. FWIW, the Sportsman 440 model is available in black, but it doesn't mention anything about prescriptions.
I'll re-paint anything for a fee, and I'm sure there are others in your area who'd do the same. Also, you can usually get prescription lenses in almost any shape - perhaps these are replaceable.

1245A Defender

imported post

1st time trying to upload a vidio,,, so we will be seeing if this thing works..
made this test
vid is very shaky, audio pretty much sucks.
the ignition of my car totaly ruins the audio with interferance.

click on the picture, it starts playing..

amzbrady

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
1st time trying to upload a vidio,,, so we will be seeing if this thing works..
made this test
vid is very shaky, audio pretty much sucks.
the ignition of my car totaly ruins the audio with interferance.

click on the picture, it starts playing..

Looks like pretty good video. how bout some specs, model of pen, where did ya get it, how much, what size memory card, how long will itrecord,maybe a link?

BTW looks like a pretty nice spot on the lake, or bay...

1245A Defender

imported post

i just looked up spy pens on the web, lotsa places have them for sale, plus glasses, watches, clocks etc..
came with cords, charger, booster battery. runs about 45 minutes on internal battery
no provision for expanding the 4 gig memory.
im sure there are much better models out by now.
had it almost a year, wore it on my 1st OC at a safeway in bremerton in July 09.
cost about 35 bucks.
thats Hood Canal about 3 miles south of belfair in my test vid, my front yard!

amzbrady

imported post

Yeah, I've seen many advertized, but I dont want to go through 3 or 4 of them finding a good one, so I am relying on honest real people reviews. I was pretty interested in this one, but am fearfull of Heartland because of the junk they carry. I would rather be able to walk in a store and buy one. Thing I like about this one is teh rechargable batteries.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?product=sling-shot-dvr-pen&PIN=87653&GUID=5CC7EA73-D64E-4268-91D9-EF85ABAD41F4&BC=S&DL=SEH1

DaemonForce

imported post

I don't know exactly what it is you guys try to do when you're looking for a cheap solution because you compromise way too much. I don't do that! Here is what consists of the common scenario you want to record:

You wish to document any and all potential threats. Doesn't have to be yourself or others. It could just be a situation you discover that needs to be chronicled quickly and efficiently without(like I said above) compromise. Ideally you want this to be in the form of audio/video and it must be high enough quality that you don't have trouble pinpointing fine details. So battery life isn't usually a problem unless you're a LEO or a security guard that doesn't belong in the field.

So far the most ideal set in this thread is the Sportsman Eyewear Model 465. I cannot suggest better. I can only suggest what you should find. Assuming the startup time is far shorter than the pen, you have a winner. The quality is okay, but you should be looking for higher quality recording capability if you need to capture fine details. Resolutions follow the trend: higher is better. 640x480 being the bare minimum standard, 800x600 being slightly better. If you ever find anything that records in 1024x768 and higher, chances are it's really awesome. Just make sure it records in a USEFUL video format like AVI or DivX. You don't want some cheap quality overpriced crap like my JVC camcorder that does 640x480 recording and uses a completely useless outdated Quicktime format that was dropped fromcode support. RAW formatting is something I can work with. Proprietary formats that no longer have any form of editing support are next to impossible. If I can do it, so can you. ;)

As long as the framerate touches 8 or 15fps you're generally okay. If you need to record something fast pace, 30fps is great. The most ideal recording state is 60fps. You will never find it at the price you're willing to pay so don't worry about that number. Just be careful about recording in dark areas. Like the above, higher is better. Just remember that companies that make these products make a bad habit of cutting costs because it's too expensive for mass production! This means the audio quality sucks(if you even get that option).

Remember-
Recording startup time: < 100ms (usually not a problem)
Resolution: >800x600
Framerate: >15fps
Record type: AVI, DivX, MPEG, XViD
Storage: >256MB

This BOM isn't ideal, it's just the bare minimum. If you can beat all of those specs, you have something worth holding on to. Don't let it go to waste. For those of you that find storage to be an issue, I haveUSB host features so I don't have that problem. I generally stick to audio like LEOs do. It just isn't necessary for me to need a snapshot device if I just need to record what I hear. For video, I'll use my N810 or some high quality snapshot device. The time for it will come but now isn't that time for me.

amzbrady

imported post

DaemonForce wrote:
I don't know exactly what it is you guys try to do when you're looking for a cheap solution because you compromise way too much. I don't do that! Here is what consists of the common scenario you want to record:

You wish to document any and all potential threats. Doesn't have to be yourself or others. It could just be a situation you discover that needs to be chronicled quickly and efficiently without(like I said above) compromise. Ideally you want this to be in the form of audio/video and it must be high enough quality that you don't have trouble pinpointing fine details. So battery life isn't usually a problem unless you're a LEO or a security guard that doesn't belong in the field.

So far the most ideal set in this thread is the Sportsman Eyewear Model 465. I cannot suggest better. I can only suggest what you should find. Assuming the startup time is far shorter than the pen, you have a winner. The quality is okay, but you should be looking for higher quality recording capability if you need to capture fine details. Resolutions follow the trend: higher is better. 640x480 being the bare minimum standard, 800x600 being slightly better. If you ever find anything that records in 1024x768 and higher, chances are it's really awesome. Just make sure it records in a USEFUL video format like AVI or DivX. You don't want some cheap quality overpriced crap like my JVC camcorder that does 640x480 recording and uses a completely useless outdated Quicktime format that was dropped fromcode support. RAW formatting is something I can work with. Proprietary formats that no longer have any form of editing support are next to impossible. If I can do it, so can you. ;)

As long as the framerate touches 8 or 15fps you're generally okay. If you need to record something fast pace, 30fps is great. The most ideal recording state is 60fps. You will never find it at the price you're willing to pay so don't worry about that number. Just be careful about recording in dark areas. Like the above, higher is better. Just remember that companies that make these products make a bad habit of cutting costs because it's too expensive for mass production! This means the audio quality sucks(if you even get that option).

Remember-
Recording startup time: < 100ms (usually not a problem)
Resolution: >800x600
Framerate: >15fps
Record type: AVI, DivX, MPEG, XViD
Storage: >256MB

This BOM isn't ideal, it's just the bare minimum. If you can beat all of those specs, you have something worth holding on to. Don't let it go to waste. For those of you that find storage to be an issue, I haveUSB host features so I don't have that problem. I generally stick to audio like LEOs do. It just isn't necessary for me to need a snapshot device if I just need to record what I hear. For video, I'll use my N810 or some high quality snapshot device. The time for it will come but now isn't that time for me.
Since I'm unemployed, I'm looking for the best for the least, I am looking for inconspicuous, I most always where button ups with a pocket so a pen would be best for me. The glasses are reallycool butway out of my price range.I dont think a recorder hung around my neck would be a good solution for me, and one on my belt recording video of someone elses crotch is not what I want either.