Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 121

Thread: MOC marching in Sterling Heights Memorial Day Parade!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastpointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,440

    Post imported post

    Yup, you read that right. Open carriers will be in the Sterling Heights Memorial Day parade. MOC members, OCDO friends and supporters alike are all welcome! Details will follow later today. As of now, I believe meeting time will be 8:30am with the parade starting at 10:00am. A ceremony in a park to honor the military will follow after the parade. Locations to be determined. Let's join together to honor our nations hero's!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Jackson , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    985

    Post imported post

    Will you be carrying a banner with you!!!

  3. #3
    Regular Member sprinklerguy28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    666

    Post imported post

    We will have an MOC Banner.

    We need to be in our staging area at 8:30 a.m.

    The ceremony will start at 9:00 a.m.

    The parade begins at 10:00 a.m.

    Our staging area is F9, I will have us checked in at 8:00 a.m. and will be waiting in the staging area for everyone to arrive.

    This is a huge opportunity for anyone who supports the 2nd Amendment. All are welcome to walk with us.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Clinton Township, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    93

    Post imported post

    And we will be OCing?

  5. #5
    Regular Member sprinklerguy28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    666

    Post imported post

    thekunk47 wrote:
    And we will be OCing?
    Of Course we will be OCing:celebrate:celebrate

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Clinton Township, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    93

    Post imported post

    Where do we meet?

  7. #7
    Regular Member sprinklerguy28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    666

    Post imported post

    thekunk47 wrote:
    Where do we meet?
    Staging area F. See map in previous post.

  8. #8
    Regular Member sprinklerguy28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    666

    Post imported post

    Bump

  9. #9
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    So we're (MOC) going to use this opportunity to help further our cause?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pontiac, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    285

    Post imported post

    im sure i can make it where do we park at when we come down there thanks. Glad to see there honoring the men and woman of the armed forces

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastpointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,440

    Post imported post

    dougwg wrote:
    So we're (MOC) going to use this opportunity to help further our cause?
    MOC is simpy honoring our nations fallen hero's and solidiers. It's a great way for our organization to show we appreciate the military fighting for our rights and way of life.

  12. #12
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    ok, so we want people to talk about how we (MOC) honored ourfallen servicemen and women.

    Right?

    This is the message we want people to come away with, right?

  13. #13
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Pretty much.. we are not interested in promoting MOC per say just getting out as an organization and doing something nice for the Vets!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  14. #14
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    ok...

    If we (MOC) actually open carry while walking in the parade what do you think people will be talking about?

  15. #15
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,446

    Post imported post

    dougwg wrote:
    ok...

    If we (MOC) actually open carry while walking in the parade what do you think people will be talking about?
    The weather? How nice the parade is? What great floats? Look at all those flags and veterans? My what lovely marching bands?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  16. #16
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    Sure all that, and that's as it should be,but it's my opinion that many will look negatively on OCing at the parade.

    I know.... I know we can't totally avoid "black eyes" I'm just for trying to minimize the hits we take.

    The more "black eyes" we get the more good we have to do to counteract them.

    "work smart, not hard"

    I'm all for carrying guns, hell even my AR in ANY OTHER parade, just not this one.

    This one I think we should be humble.

    Look at it this way. If we carry at this parade there "could" be a downside. If we don't carry guns there is far less chances of bad press. It could also show others that we're not crazy gun nuts but rather intelligent, thoughtful and understanding real people.

    I try to keep my eye on the goal, to win the war against the anti-gunners. I'm far less concerned with winning every battle.

  17. #17
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Doug I have OCed at the last 2 Memorial Day Parades in my town as well as at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Cemetery and have gotten nothing but hand shakes and pats on the back. No one acted concerned or even disapproving.

    Also you may be interested to know that there is much support within this community (where the parade is) for MOC to march in the parade.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastpointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,440

    Post imported post

    I can understand and appreciate those thoughts, dougwg. Point taken.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Taylor, Wayne County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,047

    Post imported post

    I also have thoughts & concerns similar to dougwg's. Just my 2 cents.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

    “Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

  20. #20
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    autosurgeon wrote:
    Doug I have OCed at the last 2 Memorial Day Parades in my town as well as at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Cemetery and have gotten nothing but hand shakes and pats on the back. No one acted concerned or even disapproving.

    Also you may be interested to know that there is much support within this community (where the parade is) for MOC to march in the parade.

    I understand, really I do.

    But maybewe can make it known that we are willing to sacrafice for our fallen, I believe it will speak volumes.

    Sometimes not saying anything, says more.

    Do you carry openly to get attention and handshakes and pats on the back? I would like to think not.

    scot623 wrote:
    I can understand and appreciate those thoughts, dougwg. Point taken.
    Thank you. And I'm glad you have taken what I'm trying to say as the suggestion that it is. I'm taking about an "idea" and they can be difficult to convey at times.

    BTW: I have planned on walking with you, along with my kid in his stroller, at the parade. I won't be OCing this time around but I'm sure that I'll be printing like a sumbich though.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756

    Post imported post

    My 2 cents... for what it is worth....

    Memorial Day is all about our Veterans. Men and women who took guns and fought for our freedom.

    I see no downside to ordinary people with guns honoring Veterans who fought for our freedom with guns. After all, one of the things those brave Vets fought for is the right for ordinary people to have............. guns.

    So ordinary people carrying guns in a parade honoring Vets seems to me to be extremely appropriate.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  22. #22
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    Bikenut wrote:
    My 2 cents... for what it is worth....

    Memorial Day is all about our Veterans. Men and women who took guns and fought for our freedom.

    I see no downside to ordinary people with guns honoring Veterans who fought for our freedom with guns. After all, one of the things those brave Vets fought for is the right for ordinary people to have............. guns.

    So ordinary people carrying guns in a parade honoring Vets seems to me to be extremely appropriate.
    And that's YOUR point of view and if that was all we were dealing with I would agree with you that we should OC in the parade ....but.

    I'm trying to get people to look at it from OTHERS point of view. You know, the one's that we're trying to convince to be on our side.

    I would rather, at this parade, make a small political statement and not steal any thunder away from the true meaning of the parade which is to simply honor our fallen.

    I like math, maybe some of you do to, so I'll give this a shot.

    I'd rather get a 10% positive, which is 10% in the right direction then get +50% good and -50% bad which is a wash. Smell what I'm stepping in?

  23. #23
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Doug I think you know the answer to your comment about pats on the back...

    I also don't think we will receive near the negative reaction that you feel we will... however that is just my opinion.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  24. #24
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    Just this one time

    I'm asking for us (MOC) to compromise.

    Remember, I'm one of the few, the VERY FEW that has EVER carried not only my pistol openly but also my Rifle into the Michigan State Capitol and into the Gallerywhich houses the legislative and executive branches.

    There is a time to yell and a time to whisper. At a parade given in honor of our fallen, I believe a whisper will be louder then a yell.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416

    Post imported post

    dougwg wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:
    Doug I have OCed at the last 2 Memorial Day Parades in my town as well as at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Cemetery and have gotten nothing but hand shakes and pats on the back. No one acted concerned or even disapproving.

    Also you may be interested to know that there is much support within this community (where the parade is) for MOC to march in the parade.

    I understand, really I do.

    But maybewe can make it known that we are willing to sacrafice for our fallen, I believe it will speak volumes.

    Sometimes not saying anything, says more.

    Do you carry openly to get attention and handshakes and pats on the back? I would like to think not.

    scot623 wrote:
    I can understand and appreciate those thoughts, dougwg. Point taken.
    Thank you. And I'm glad you have taken what I'm trying to say as the suggestion that it is. I'm taking about an "idea" and they can be difficult to convey at times.

    BTW: I have planned on walking with you, along with my kid in his stroller, at the parade. I won't be OCing this time around but I'm sure that I'll be printing like a sumbich though.
    I agree with dougwg.

    The fourth is a good day for something like this. I am a veteran, and feel it should be solely about those who sacrificed for us. What better way than self-sacrifice.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •