Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOC marching in Sterling Heights Memorial Day Parade!

Post imported post

Yup, you read that right. Open carriers will be in the Sterling Heights Memorial Day parade. MOC members, OCDO friends and supporters alike are all welcome! Details will follow later today. As of now, I believe meeting time will be 8:30am with the parade starting at 10:00am. A ceremony in a park to honor the military will follow after the parade. Locations to be determined. Let's join together to honor our nations hero's!

Post imported post

Will you be carrying a banner with you!!!

Post imported post

We will have an MOC Banner.

We need to be in our staging area at 8:30 a.m.

The ceremony will start at 9:00 a.m.

The parade begins at 10:00 a.m.

Our staging area is F9, I will have us checked in at 8:00 a.m. and will be waiting in the staging area for everyone to arrive.

This is a huge opportunity for anyone who supports the 2nd Amendment. All are welcome to walk with us.

Post imported post

And we will be OCing?

Post imported post

thekunk47 wrote:
    And we will be OCing?
    Of Course we will be OCing:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

Where do we meet?

Post imported post

thekunk47 wrote:
    Where do we meet?
    Staging area F. See map in previous post.

Post imported post

Bump

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

So we're (MOC) going to use this opportunity to help further our cause?

Post imported post

im sure i can make it where do we park at when we come down there thanks. Glad to see there honoring the men and woman of the armed forces

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    So we're (MOC) going to use this opportunity to help further our cause?
    MOC is simpy honoring our nations fallen hero's and solidiers. It's a great way for our organization to show we appreciate the military fighting for our rights and way of life.

Post imported post

ok, so we want people to talk about how we (MOC) honored ourfallen servicemen and women.

Right?

This is the message we want people to come away with, right?

Post imported post

Pretty much.. we are not interested in promoting MOC per say just getting out as an organization and doing something nice for the Vets!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

ok...

If we (MOC) actually open carry while walking in the parade what do you think people will be talking about?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    ok...

If we (MOC) actually open carry while walking in the parade what do you think people will be talking about?
    The weather? How nice the parade is? What great floats? Look at all those flags and veterans? My what lovely marching bands?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Sure all that, and that's as it should be,but it's my opinion that many will look negatively on OCing at the parade.

I know.... I know we can't totally avoid "black eyes" I'm just for trying to minimize the hits we take.

The more "black eyes" we get the more good we have to do to counteract them.

"work smart, not hard"

I'm all for carrying guns, hell even my AR in ANY OTHER parade, just not this one.

This one I think we should be humble.

Look at it this way. If we carry at this parade there "could" be a downside. If we don't carry guns there is far less chances of bad press. It could also show others that we're not crazy gun nuts but rather intelligent, thoughtful and understanding real people.

I try to keep my eye on the goal, to win the war against the anti-gunners. I'm far less concerned with winning every battle.

Post imported post

Doug I have OCed at the last 2 Memorial Day Parades in my town as well as at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Cemetery and have gotten nothing but hand shakes and pats on the back. No one acted concerned or even disapproving.

Also you may be interested to know that there is much support within this community (where the parade is) for MOC to march in the parade.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I can understand and appreciate those thoughts, dougwg. Point taken.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

I also have thoughts & concerns similar to dougwg's. Just my 2 cents.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Doug I have OCed at the last 2 Memorial Day Parades in my town as well as at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Cemetery and have gotten nothing but hand shakes and pats on the back. No one acted concerned or even disapproving.

Also you may be interested to know that there is much support within this community (where the parade is) for MOC to march in the parade.

I understand, really I do.

But maybewe can make it known that we are willing to sacrafice for our fallen, I believe it will speak volumes.

Sometimes not saying anything, says more.

Do you carry openly to get attention and handshakes and pats on the back? I would like to think not.

scot623 wrote:
    Thank you. And I'm glad you have taken what I'm trying to say as the suggestion that it is. I'm taking about an "idea" and they can be difficult to convey at times.

BTW: I have planned on walking with you, along with my kid in his stroller, at the parade. I won't be OCing this time around but I'm sure that I'll be printing like a sumbich though.

Post imported post

My 2 cents... for what it is worth....

Memorial Day is all about our Veterans. Men and women who took guns and fought for our freedom.

I see no downside to ordinary people with guns honoring Veterans who fought for our freedom with guns. After all, one of the things those brave Vets fought for is the right for ordinary people to have............. guns.

So ordinary people carrying guns in a parade honoring Vets seems to me to be extremely appropriate.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:
    My 2 cents... for what it is worth....

Memorial Day is all about our Veterans. Men and women who took guns and fought for our freedom.

I see no downside to ordinary people with guns honoring Veterans who fought for our freedom with guns. After all, one of the things those brave Vets fought for is the right for ordinary people to have............. guns.

So ordinary people carrying guns in a parade honoring Vets seems to me to be extremely appropriate.
    And that's YOUR point of view and if that was all we were dealing with I would agree with you that we should OC in the parade ....but.

I'm trying to get people to look at it from OTHERS point of view. You know, the one's that we're trying to convince to be on our side.

I would rather, at this parade, make a small political statement and not steal any thunder away from the true meaning of the parade which is to simply honor our fallen.

I like math, maybe some of you do to, so I'll give this a shot.

I'd rather get a 10% positive, which is 10% in the right direction then get +50% good and -50% bad which is a wash. Smell what I'm stepping in?

Post imported post

Doug I think you know the answer to your comment about pats on the back...

I also don't think we will receive near the negative reaction that you feel we will... however that is just my opinion.

Post imported post

Just this one time

I'm asking for us (MOC) to compromise.

Remember, I'm one of the few, the VERY FEW that has EVER carried not only my pistol openly but also my Rifle into the Michigan State Capitol and into the Gallerywhich houses the legislative and executive branches.

There is a time to yell and a time to whisper. At a parade given in honor of our fallen, I believe a whisper will be louder then a yell.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:

I understand, really I do.

But maybewe can make it known that we are willing to sacrafice for our fallen, I believe it will speak volumes.

Sometimes not saying anything, says more.

Do you carry openly to get attention and handshakes and pats on the back? I would like to think not.

scot623 wrote:
    Thank you. And I'm glad you have taken what I'm trying to say as the suggestion that it is. I'm taking about an "idea" and they can be difficult to convey at times.

BTW: I have planned on walking with you, along with my kid in his stroller, at the parade. I won't be OCing this time around but I'm sure that I'll be printing like a sumbich though.
    I agree with dougwg.

The fourth is a good day for something like this. I am a veteran, and feel it should be solely about those who sacrificed for us. What better way than self-sacrifice.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast