• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOC marching in Sterling Heights Memorial Day Parade!

scot623

imported post

Yup, you read that right. Open carriers will be in the Sterling Heights Memorial Day parade. MOC members, OCDO friends and supporters alike are all welcome! Details will follow later today. As of now, I believe meeting time will be 8:30am with the parade starting at 10:00am. A ceremony in a park to honor the military will follow after the parade. Locations to be determined. Let's join together to honor our nations hero's!

sprinklerguy28

imported post

We will have an MOC Banner.

We need to be in our staging area at 8:30 a.m.

The ceremony will start at 9:00 a.m.

The parade begins at 10:00 a.m.

Our staging area is F9, I will have us checked in at 8:00 a.m. and will be waiting in the staging area for everyone to arrive.

This is a huge opportunity for anyone who supports the 2nd Amendment. All are welcome to walk with us.

army74

imported post

im sure i can make it where do we park at when we come down there thanks. Glad to see there honoring the men and woman of the armed forces

scot623

imported post

dougwg wrote:
So we're (MOC) going to use this opportunity to help further our cause?

MOC is simpy honoring our nations fallen hero's and solidiers. It's a great way for our organization to show we appreciate the military fighting for our rights and way of life.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dougwg wrote:
ok...

If we (MOC) actually open carry while walking in the parade what do you think people will be talking about?
The weather? How nice the parade is? What great floats? Look at all those flags and veterans? My what lovely marching bands?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Sure all that, and that's as it should be,but it's my opinion that many will look negatively on OCing at the parade.

I know.... I know we can't totally avoid "black eyes" I'm just for trying to minimize the hits we take.

The more "black eyes" we get the more good we have to do to counteract them.

"work smart, not hard"

I'm all for carrying guns, hell even my AR in ANY OTHER parade, just not this one.

This one I think we should be humble.

Look at it this way. If we carry at this parade there "could" be a downside. If we don't carry guns there is far less chances of bad press. It could also show others that we're not crazy gun nuts but rather intelligent, thoughtful and understanding real people.

I try to keep my eye on the goal, to win the war against the anti-gunners. I'm far less concerned with winning every battle.

autosurgeon

imported post

Doug I have OCed at the last 2 Memorial Day Parades in my town as well as at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Cemetery and have gotten nothing but hand shakes and pats on the back. No one acted concerned or even disapproving.

Also you may be interested to know that there is much support within this community (where the parade is) for MOC to march in the parade.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Doug I have OCed at the last 2 Memorial Day Parades in my town as well as at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Cemetery and have gotten nothing but hand shakes and pats on the back. No one acted concerned or even disapproving.

Also you may be interested to know that there is much support within this community (where the parade is) for MOC to march in the parade.

I understand, really I do.

But maybewe can make it known that we are willing to sacrafice for our fallen, I believe it will speak volumes.

Sometimes not saying anything, says more.

Do you carry openly to get attention and handshakes and pats on the back? I would like to think not.

scot623 wrote:
I can understand and appreciate those thoughts, dougwg. Point taken.

Thank you. And I'm glad you have taken what I'm trying to say as the suggestion that it is. I'm taking about an "idea" and they can be difficult to convey at times.

BTW: I have planned on walking with you, along with my kid in his stroller, at the parade. I won't be OCing this time around but I'm sure that I'll be printing like a sumbich though.