• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOC marching in Sterling Heights Memorial Day Parade!

B

Bikenut

imported post

My 2 cents... for what it is worth....

Memorial Day is all about our Veterans. Men and women who took guns and fought for our freedom.

I see no downside to ordinary people with guns honoring Veterans who fought for our freedom with guns. After all, one of the things those brave Vets fought for is the right for ordinary people to have............. guns.

So ordinary people carrying guns in a parade honoring Vets seems to me to be extremely appropriate.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
My 2 cents... for what it is worth....

Memorial Day is all about our Veterans. Men and women who took guns and fought for our freedom.

I see no downside to ordinary people with guns honoring Veterans who fought for our freedom with guns. After all, one of the things those brave Vets fought for is the right for ordinary people to have............. guns.

So ordinary people carrying guns in a parade honoring Vets seems to me to be extremely appropriate.

And that's YOUR point of view and if that was all we were dealing with I would agree with you that we should OC in the parade ....but.

I'm trying to get people to look at it from OTHERS point of view. You know, the one's that we're trying to convince to be on our side.

I would rather, at this parade, make a small political statement and not steal any thunder away from the true meaning of the parade which is to simply honor our fallen.

I like math, maybe some of you do to, so I'll give this a shot.

I'd rather get a 10% positive, which is 10% in the right direction then get +50% good and -50% bad which is a wash. Smell what I'm stepping in?

autosurgeon

imported post

Doug I think you know the answer to your comment about pats on the back...

I also don't think we will receive near the negative reaction that you feel we will... however that is just my opinion.

dougwg

imported post

Just this one time

I'm asking for us (MOC) to compromise.

Remember, I'm one of the few, the VERY FEW that has EVER carried not only my pistol openly but also my Rifle into the Michigan State Capitol and into the Gallerywhich houses the legislative and executive branches.

There is a time to yell and a time to whisper. At a parade given in honor of our fallen, I believe a whisper will be louder then a yell.

ghostrider

imported post

dougwg wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Doug I have OCed at the last 2 Memorial Day Parades in my town as well as at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Cemetery and have gotten nothing but hand shakes and pats on the back. No one acted concerned or even disapproving.

Also you may be interested to know that there is much support within this community (where the parade is) for MOC to march in the parade.

I understand, really I do.

But maybewe can make it known that we are willing to sacrafice for our fallen, I believe it will speak volumes.

Sometimes not saying anything, says more.

Do you carry openly to get attention and handshakes and pats on the back? I would like to think not.

scot623 wrote:
I can understand and appreciate those thoughts, dougwg. Point taken.

Thank you. And I'm glad you have taken what I'm trying to say as the suggestion that it is. I'm taking about an "idea" and they can be difficult to convey at times.

BTW: I have planned on walking with you, along with my kid in his stroller, at the parade. I won't be OCing this time around but I'm sure that I'll be printing like a sumbich though.
I agree with dougwg.

The fourth is a good day for something like this. I am a veteran, and feel it should be solely about those who sacrificed for us. What better way than self-sacrifice.

dougwg

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Doug I think you know the answer to your comment about pats on the back...

I also don't think we will receive near the negative reaction that you feel we will... however that is just my opinion.

Yes, I think I do know the answer.

We will ALWAYS receive negative reactions, this I accepted when I started to OC,I would just like to minimize them as I'm sure you would to.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Hey Doug... perhaps asking a Vet what they think about OC'ing in the parade would give you a better insight.

Edited to add:

I see a Vet has responded... and now I have a better insight. Thank you.

dougwg

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Hey Doug... perhaps asking a Vet what they think about OC'ing in the parade would give you a better insight.
ghostrider wrote:
I agree with dougwg.

The fourth is a good day for something like this. I am a veteran, and feel it should be solely about those who sacrificed for us. What better way than self-sacrifice.
:)

B

Bikenut

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
I agree with dougwg.

:)
Please see my edited post you quoted.:)

While you were editing I was editing...

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

My opinion is to open carry. I don't see how wedo otherwise. MOC is about open carry. A right that veterans have fought and died for.

I think I know what Doug is trying to say, but It could be viewed as hypocritical. We can honor vets and still stand up for personal freedoms and exercise those very freedoms veterans have fought and served to protect.

I see nothing wrong in promoting those rights during the parade. The same way the boy and girlscouts both honor the vets and promote scouting. The same way community groups, churches, fraternal organizations and and an array of other organizations both honor the vets and promote their agendas.

For what it's worth my vote is to have people that want to OC to OC and those that don't don't. I suppose the Board of MOC, Inc could forbid people to OC if they want to march in the parade, but there would be some internal fall-out. And one of the things we need is to build membership to better influence legislation.

Just trying to promote discussion and a chance to show the other side.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Venator wrote:
We can honor vets and still stand up for personal freedoms and exercise those very freedom veterans have fought and served to protect.
Dougwg and Ghostrider gave me an insight as to how other folks might perceive OC during an event intended to honor those who fought for freedom....

But I agree with you Brian.... after all... what point would all the sacrifices, including the one's who gave the ultimate sacrifice, be for if we... the one's who they sacrificed for... do not exercise the freedoms they died in defense of.

Just an aside....

Folks always say... "They died for their country." but I think very few actually realize what that means. It means...

Never seeing the sun rise again..
Never smelling freshly cut grass..
Never tasting a cold beer on a hot day...
Never feeling a hot shower...
Never sleeping in late on a Saturday morning..
Never making love...
Never creating a child..
Never watching that child grow..
Never seeing grandchildren..
And much, much, more...

I am humbled by the magnitude of what strangers gave up.... just for me.

autosurgeon

imported post

If we choose to NOT exercise a right they have fought and died for out of some sort of respect... Well then what other times should we not OC out of respect?

In a park filled with children? In the Grocery Store? I could go on and on.

I really think that folks are over thinking this. Most if not all of the Vets at my Gun Club think that OC is great...that is 70+ people they may not do it themselves but they support those that do... as they better than many understand the Constitution and Bill of rights.

Note this is just MY Opinion.

And for the record I was rather embarrassed when so many Vets chose to single me out and thank me for OCing. However I will choose to continue to OC at my local Memorial Day Events as I see nothing but positive feedback in my neck of the woods.

RenegadeMarine

imported post

I am aVeteran and I agree with Venator and Autosurgeon. We need to show our fallen heroes that their sacrifice was not in vain. If we didn't OC it would be like a slap in the face to those who died to preserve our rights. I would love to walk with you guys in this parade, but if I am asked not to OC, I WILL NOT be in attendance.

Devil Dog 14

imported post

Im a veteran and i think it is a must to OC at the parade, we fought for our constitutional rights and some of my brothers died for it. I will honor those who have fallen by living my FREEDOM.

B

Bikenut

imported post

dougwg wrote:
We all have things to do, places to go, people to see....

But we all yield the right of way while driving to the Funeral precession and the loved ones.
And the greatest show of respect we can give is...

To live what they died for.

Leader

imported post

Just what do you think I and all the rest of the veterans fought for? Doug I usually agree with you big time but on this I don't. I am a veteran & I believe the right to keep & bear arms is ONE or the rights I took an oath to honer & uphold.

I don't understand how you could think it would be disrespectful to carry while marching in a parade to honer vets.

dougwg

imported post

Leader wrote:
Just what do you think I and all the rest of the veterans fought for? Doug I usually agree with you big time but on this I don't. I am a veteran & I believe the right to keep & bear arms is ONE or the rights I took an oath to honer & uphold.

I don't understand how you could think it would be disrespectful to carry while marching in a parade to honer vets.

[align=left]

I don't think it's dis-respectful!!:X I would hope I'm well known enough for people to know that.:?

What I think is that many of the public may think it is and make issue with it and I recognize this possibility. I would like to minimizethe possibility is all.

I'm just trying to see the bigger picture and I'm NOT asking anyone to do or not do anything, that's not my place. I'm just giving people something to think about.

As far as our veterans, I think they SHOULD OC...but "MOC Inc." shouldn't. I fully understand that this is a fine line.
[/align]

[align=center]
*News headline*

"Gun zealots flaunt privileges over the graves of fallen heros"
[/align]

[align=left]
You guys all know how the MSM twist $hit around. I'd rather not give them a chance this time around.[/align]