• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody heard of letters on open carry legality being sent by the NH AG to police chiefs?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Just wondering after i read this:

SNIP

Since I'll be in America, where open vs. concealed carry is less of an issue (not only is it legal in NH, but the NH AG has sent letters to police chiefs affirming the legality of open carry) . . .

NewHampshireNative

imported post

I found that after reading your short post. It's on the web on some MA guys blog it looks like he did not back it up with any links or any information at all. So Wanting to know my self I called the NH AG office and asked if he had in fact done such a thing or if it was made up. I'm waiting on a call back from his office if it turns out it's something that really happened I will be asking for a copy of the letter and when I get it I will post it in this topic.

nhsig220

imported post

NewHampshireNative2005 wrote:
It's on the web on some MA guys blog it looks like he did not back it up with any links or any information at all.

LOL

Of course it is and of course he didn't. :shock:

mvpel

imported post

http://pgnh.org/the_open_carry_debate_september_2009

Sept. 18, 2009: Four years ago, Paul Donovan, Chief of Police of Salem, New Hampshire -- and now an Advisor of Pro-Gun New Hampshire -- asked his staff to contact the state Attorney General's office about open carry. The AG's office replied that in New Hampshire, the constitutional right to keep and bear arms was not superseded by someone's "annoyance and alarm" at the sight of a gun. ("Annoyance and alarm" is the phrase taken from the state law about disorderly conduct, RSA 644:2.)

NewHampshireNative

imported post

But again the topic of the thread is asking about letters that the AG is said to have sent out to all NH police department heads. The AG office said they have no record of him or the past AG sending out letters to the police departments on the topic of OC. She then went on to say that OC is legal by NH law ( as we already know). Feel free to call his office your self I have done so already and this is what I base my information on.

mvpel

imported post

There may be some confusion here. There was a letter sent to all chiefs by Earl Sweeney when he was head of the DPS, explaining the proper procedure and restrictions on issuance of carry licenses, which may be getting mixed in with this letter to Salem. If you call the GO-Phone, at 225-GONH, Penny will undoubtedly know the details, or know who knows.

Either way, the AG's office is clear that mere open carry is not sufficient probable cause to initiate a stop.