• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellis fair mall

blowfish852252000

imported post

Well as i sitting waiting for a parking spot by the food court with my two year old son, a male in a very big car lays on his horn. and gets very irate,he smoked his tires and pulled up along side of me almost hit a pedestrian. he starts yelling foul language on how I am holding up traffic with my blinker on waiting for a parking spot. he reached down by his seat and kinda got a weird look on his face after looking at my window that has a sticker that says"Warning driver only carries 20$ in ammunition" he speed off pulled in to the emergency vehicle parking got out of car and was still yelling. so my adrenalin was going because i had my son in car and who knows what he was reaching for.

Mainsail

imported post

blowfish852252000 wrote:
Well as i sitting waiting for a parking spot by the food court...
This is kind of off topic, but why were you waiting for a parking spot? Unless that was the only one, why would you wait and tie up traffic through the lot instead of simply driving down the row and taking the first available spot?

I see people do this and I wonder why they don’t just walk the extra 30 feet or so. I want to knock on their window and point out that if they’re too tired to walk that far they should just go home and go back to bed. It sounds like you met someone with pretty much the same question and a really bad temper. Why gamble?

EDIT: to remove forum added white space. What's with the formatting on this forum software?

carracer

imported post

Sometime I will also wait for a parking spot when a driver has entered their car to leave. Occassionally though, they have to turn on everything in the car and light a cig before they leave and it gives the impression that I am just parked waiting for thesecond coming or something.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

carracer wrote:
Sometime I will also wait for a parking spot when a driver has entered their car to leave. Occassionally though, they have to turn on everything in the car and light a cig before they leave and it gives the impression that I am just parked waiting for thesecond coming or something.
You might just be right....

Two researchers at Penn State university observed people in a shopping mall parking lot as they were leaving.[sup] [/sup]They noticed that departing drivers (both men and women) took eleven seconds longer to vacate their spot when someone else was waiting for the space than when no one was there. Even the implication of "pressure" by just waiting can evoke resistance. Instead of hurrying up, they tend to take longer. This power-based behavior is counterproductive because it takes longer for them to leave and engenders hostile reactions. So why do people do it? They investigated the issue further by sending in cars driven by a student who honked at the departing driver. Drivers who were honked at took even longer to depart than drivers who were not honked at. The researchers attribute this "territorial behavior" to people's desire to proclaim rightful occupancy of a space. When this right is questioned by a hostile honking motorist the tendency is to reaffirm rightful ownership, and this is accomplished by taking even longer to vacate the place because the power struggle is the focus. (See: Territorial Defense in Parking Lots: Retaliation Against Waiting Drivers, Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol. 27, No. 9, May 1998 issue.)

MK

imported post

There are alot of good reasons as to why someone may wish to park closer.

- hurt leg or some other injury.

- small child and wanting to walk less distance in what could be a semi dangerous area with cars backing up and moving around.

- rainy weather

- fridged weather

- because its normal for animals to picka path of least resistance.

If you don't like having to wait for someone who wants a closer spot, do like I do and enter from the rear of the parking lot and take a spot further away. And if you are caught behind someone, so what, that 30 seconds isn't going to ruin your day anymore than your inability to get a grasp on your emotions about it. Have some patience and enjoy your day. Don't be so easy in allowing yourself to get rattled. Not everyone works or thinks the same way.

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

MK wrote:
There are alot of good reasons as to why someone may wish to park closer.

- small child and wanting to walk less distance in what could be a semi dangerous area with cars backing up and moving around.

That's the only reasonable explanation.
As far as weather goes this is Washington. It will rain! Figure that out and get an umbrella if it bothers you, And if its cold get a coat. People will wait for hours for a parking spot. Especially women from what I have noticed.

I hate getting stuck behind somebody who is waiting for a parking spot when I can see one just 4 spots down.. I feel the same as the person who went nuts but without actually going nuts..

If they have a hurt leg I dont think 30 feet closer to Costco or Walmart is going to make that big of a difference. Considering you still have to walk 4 miles to get all the way around. I could see it make a difference at a 7-11 or at a gas station.

Knock-Off Dragunov

imported post

Glocked and Loaded
...get an umbrella if it bothers you...

Somebody hasn't spent a rainy season in Bellingham... your umbrella will be in the garabge in seconds! lol.

Anyways, my point - if you want to park closer, go right ahead - that why parking lots are wide enough for you to DRIVE THE HELL AROUND SOMEBODY!

Glad it didn't get any worse than it did.

_

MK

imported post

Glocked and Loaded wrote:
get an umbrella if it bothers you

It doesn't bother me and neither does waiting a couple minutes on somebody. If someone else wishes to park closer, that's their business and I'll respect it. I usually park in the back of a lot because I find it to be alot easier and faster to get in and out of the store.

I just find it muchmore beneficial to mypeace of mindto chill out and show a little respect for someone who does things a little differently than me than to let myself get all wigged out over 30 seconds of time.

The man tripping out, cursing and honking his horn is far more annoying than anyone taking an extra few seconds to get a parking spot they wish to park in. Its freaks like this running around who lack any basic selfcontrol that leads many of us to feel its prudent to carry firearms around with us in public.

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

I too just park somewhere in the back. And if I am stuck behind somebody I do just wait patiently. But what surprises me most is that people are willing to wait 2 minutes to park 30 seconds closer. I am usually able to go around them and miss a few closer spots just to park farther away for convenience and then walk by the people still trying to park. And in most cases I am already at the door to the store and still see the people waiting for the parking spot.

I normally do not get annoyed unless I am in a hurry because some place is closing or I need to be somewhere by a certain time. Otherwise I really do not care.

Machoduck

imported post

"Well as i sitting waiting for a parking spot..." etc.

This powerful piece of manhood was able to drive around you. Until a spot you wanted opened up, there was no parking space for anybody. What was his issue? My take would be that he was looking for somebody - anybody - to bully and thought you were a candidate. When he saw your sign and considered the possible implications, he became enraged because you had beaten him at his own game, without intending to.

MD

blowfish852252000

imported post

well i just got out of hospital as i pulled a muscle in my stomach from having surgery 6 months ago.. as i had my son waiting for the parents first parking as the mall was very busy due to the carnival going on

PT111

imported post

If I see someone stopping to wait for my parking spot and there are plenty of spots just a little farther down I will take my own sweet time in leaving even if I have to sit there for a while. Really pisses me off for someone to block traffic waiting on a parking space when there are more available. What is ironic many times that I will go around them, if they havn't got their big butt parked so you can't which is usually the case, and find a parking space on down and be out and in the store before they even get into the space they wre aiting for. As for the hurt leg or other excuses most can be just described as lazy. I have a handicapped sticker that I rarely use but sometimes if there are several handicap spots available I will. The part gettingin the store usually isn't a problem but after walking around a big store like a super wal-mart getting back to the car is. I will grab a buggy lots of times to use as a "walker" for the trip back.

What does make me aggravated as anything are those that pull up right in front of the door making you walk around them so they can drop their buddy and not make him walk. Then pull up about 30' and park in the fire lane.

Tomas

imported post

For those of you too impatient to wait, or too lacking in understanding to comprehend that some folks actually need to wait for that closer spot, let me add two things.

(1) A picture of the rear of my transport
rear_plate.jpg

and (2), the brief explanation that it took me three years to fight my way out of a wheelchair, and there are only so many steps in me on any given day.

Parking close may make the difference in being able to cover the distance I need to and not being able to that day.

If the handicapped parking spots are all taken (often) I will try to get one close enough so I can make the distance to what I need and back.

If that means waiting for someone to back out of a slot, so be it.

For those rude enough to tell me to stay home or go back to bed, [expletives deleted].

Machoduck

imported post

Tomas, I got a tiny hint of what you go though when I had a hip replacement. The hint was reinforced when I had knee replacement surgery. Of course my handicapped verification hung on the mirror bracket and was removed for driving.

MD

ETA: complete verb.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

There are many reasons for one to stop and wait for a parking spot as presented above.
Take a moment and reflect is it really going to harm anyone waiting another minute in their life?

I seen an article a while back on what destiny can happen and what a minute can do to change it.
What about the twin towers if you were just a minute or a few minutes late for work that day, it may have saved some ones life.
What about that pile up that just happened a few minutes before you drove by if you were faster you could have been in the middle of it.

Be careful for what you asked for you may get something you really did not want.

If it takes me a few minutes to get a spot then so be it as it will reduce the pain I sometimes have to endure do to my heath.

If you really want me to hurry up, then trade me places, I would be very happy to be healthy again.