• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

trip planning

virginiatuck

imported post

SecondAmendmentStudents wrote:
I greatly appreciate the willingness of so many people here to help a fellow gun-owner out, but I've decided I'll just rent a car for the trip down to Virginia Beach. They've got good rates the day I'm going, so it should work well. I did have one question for you guys though:

I fly in on Saturday morning and have a few hours to kill before the seminar starts. I wanted to go see the Air & Space Musem next to Dulles, but wasn't sure if they tolerate / ban concealed- / openly-carried firearms. Does anyone here know? If they do, is there somewhere at the airport / museumI can stash my bags and guns while visiting the museum? Thanks a ton.
I believe it is Federal property and the museum itself would be considered a Federal facility, as per 18 USC 930.

conhntr

imported post

To get to the museum you actully leave the airport and get on 28s and then re-enter airport property at the 3rd interchange. I highly doubt the smthsonian will let you carry not to mention mwaa (airport authority). Te udvar ha y is nice but I would try to hit NRA museum as well (fairfax).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SecondAmendmentStudents wrote:
I greatly appreciate the willingness of so many people here to help a fellow gun-owner out, but I've decided I'll just rent a car for the trip down to Virginia Beach. They've got good rates the day I'm going, so it should work well. I did have one question for you guys though:

I fly in on Saturday morning and have a few hours to kill before the seminar starts. I wanted to go see the Air & Space Musem next to Dulles, but wasn't sure if they tolerate / ban concealed- / openly-carried firearms. Does anyone here know? If they do, is there somewhere at the airport / museumI can stash my bags and guns while visiting the museum? Thanks a ton.
Not sure how your going to be able to solve this problem

The Air & Space Museum is owned by the Smithsonian (very gun unfriendly) and is in Washington D.C. - illegal gun and all that.

Seems to me you'd have to go direct to a place (destination) where guns are legal ex: Virginia. Store you gun(s) there and return to D.C. w/o a gun.

Anybody else?

Yata hey

conhntr

imported post

He was tAlkng about udvar hazy annex at dulle airport not airspace in dc

NovaCop

imported post

I have seen signs for the air/space museum near Dulles but I don't know if that's a federal museum or VA museum. Maybe you should contact them directly. I doubt the airport would store your luggage for a few hours while you go out to visit a museum. If you place your stuff in your trunk unlocked, and secured, there would only be a very small chance of anyone ever knowing you have weapons inside and don't see a huge issue there.

zoom6zoom

imported post

You should be fine if you lock it in the car. If I remember correctly there are metal detectors at the entrance. They do bag checks. The museum is free, but they ding you for $15 bucks to park.

But yes, the story is that despite being located in VA, if someone is arrested in the museum they drag you before a DC magistrate.