Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Superior Telegram (WI) - AG: By God they're not going to take away our right to carry openly

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    http://www.superiortelegram.com/event/article/id/42692

    SNIP

    Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen told Republican activists in Milwaukee over the weekend that he would continue to support the right to openly carry firearms.

    . . .

    “If the liberals don’t want to give us the right to carry concealed firearms as law-abiding citizens, by God they’re not going to take away our right to openly carry firearms,” Van Hollen said.

  2. #2
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497

    Post imported post

    It is nice to see that we still have support from our AG. I can only hope he keeps his job for years to come. I'll do my part to keep him in office.

  3. #3
    McX
    Guest

    Post imported post

    A man of his word, and his convictions. it is rare to see an Honorable man these days. Lucky we have him.

  4. #4
    Regular Member bluehighways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    142

    Post imported post

    I'll cast my vote for him.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

  5. #5
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    The only thing I don't like is the well give us at least one method. WE need to fight for all methods.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    132

    Post imported post

    You folks have an election coming this fall AND there seems to be an anti big government bureaucracy sentiment out there, so:

    When you talk to your candidates, ask them these TWO (2) simple questions:

    Do you support the people's right to carry?

    Do you favor a NEW government bureaucracy to regulate and tax that right?

    That's it, the only two questions that matter from a carry standpoint.

    If they favor carry, and not the bureaucracy, then they MUST support a direct repeal of 941.23. If they want mandatory training, permits, and the like, then they favor a NEW government bureaucracy to regulate and tax that right.

    Ask away, and let us know if you get any answers. I haven't had a lot of luck getting any replies.

  7. #7
    McX
    Guest

    Post imported post

    i hope jb is running for governor, or can we write him in? the other two are pro concealed, and pro- school zone. so i get, but i don't get.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Canard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    148

    Post imported post

    What's really interesting is Scott Hassett's web site talks about how he stands on the issues zero (0) times but has over a dozen links to articles from right-winged media about JB. Go to JB's site and you can see EXACTLY where he stands, NO SECRETS!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , , Kernersville NC
    Posts
    783

    Post imported post

    since "pro choice" is soooo important to the liberals then tell them your pro choice. Conceal or Open carry.

  10. #10
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    Looks like JB is our man. He says what he will do and does what he says. It is hard to find that quality today.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  11. #11
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Post imported post

    I have a couple of questions about Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen:
    1. What will he do to keep "them" from taking away our right to openly carry firearms or is he just blowing election smoke?
    2. What is his opinion on the recent court decision equating Open Carry with Disorderly Conduct?
    3. Why is he content to stay AG and not pursue the Governorship?

    Dave

    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  12. #12
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025

    Post imported post

    davegran wrote:
    I have a couple of questions about Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen:

    1. What will he do to keep "them" from taking away our right to openly carry firearms or is he just blowing election smoke?
    2. What is his opinion on the recent court decision equating Open Carry with Disorderly Conduct?
    3. Why is he content to stay AG and not pursue the Governorship?

    Dave
    Iam told thatJB is on our side concerning the second amendment, he believes in shall not be infringed. Short of a suitcase bomb, he is coolwith what we want in a ocand ccw law.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  13. #13
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Post imported post

    From his website:

    Invite JB to your next event!
    Email the event information to: info@vanhollenforag.com.

    Have any of our event chairpersons done this yet? What was the response?

    Dave

    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  14. #14
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Post imported post

    I just sent the following email to Attorney General Van Hollen:

    "Dear Attorney General Van Hollen,

    I belong to the Open Carry movement here in Wisconsin. Our growing membership is actively involved in educating the public about their right to self defense, and in changing restrictive Wisconsin gun laws. We could be of some help to you in the coming election.

    I have some questions regarding your position on Wisconsin gun laws and I would like to share your answers with our members on http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/.

    1. Referring to a comment you made the weekend of May 22nd to some Republican activists in Milwaukee: “If the liberals don’t want to give us the right to carry concealed firearms as law-abiding citizens, by God they’re not going to take away our right to openly carry firearms,”; what will you do to keep "the liberals" from "taking away our right to openly carry firearms"?
    2. What is your opinion on the recent Wisconsin Federal court decision by Judge Adelman equating Open Carry with Disorderly Conduct? What can be done about it?
    3. Would you support Arizona-style, training optional, no-permit-required Concealed Carry in Wisconsin as the Republican Party has stated in their platform?
    4. Will you pursue the Governorship at some future date as many of us would like to see?
    Thank you very much for your consideration in answering these questions."


    I'll share any response or lack of same with the group ASAP.

    Dave

    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  15. #15
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    Post imported post

    Interesting questions. I will be interested in seeing the answers. It should not be too hard, he did take an oath to uphold both the Federal and Wisconsin Constitutions.

  16. #16
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Post imported post

    davegran wrote:
    I just sent the following email to Attorney General Van Hollen:

    "Dear Attorney General Van Hollen,

    I belong to the Open Carry movement here in Wisconsin. Our growing membership is actively involved in educating the public about their right to self defense, and in changing restrictive Wisconsin gun laws. We could be of some help to you in the coming election.

    I have some questions regarding your position on Wisconsin gun laws and I would like to share your answers with our members on http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/.

    1. Referring to a comment you made the weekend of May 22nd to some Republican activists in Milwaukee: “If the liberals don’t want to give us the right to carry concealed firearms as law-abiding citizens, by God they’re not going to take away our right to openly carry firearms,”; what will you do to keep "the liberals" from "taking away our right to openly carry firearms"?
    2. What is your opinion on the recent Wisconsin Federal court decision by Judge Adelman equating Open Carry with Disorderly Conduct? What can be done about it?
    3. Would you support Arizona-style, training optional, no-permit-required Concealed Carry in Wisconsin as the Republican Party has stated in their platform?
    4. Will you pursue the Governorship at some future date as many of us would like to see?
    Thank you very much for your consideration in answering these questions."


    I'll share any response or lack of same with the group ASAP.

    Dave
    It's been 5 business days since I tried to contact AG Van Hollen by email through his website and he has chosen not to answer. Anybody else want to try before we conclude that he doesn't feel we are worth his (or a staffer's ) time?

    Dave

    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  17. #17
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047

    Post imported post

    davegran wrote:
    It's been 5 business days since I tried to contact AG Van Hollen by email through his website and he has chosen not to answer. Anybody else want to try before we conclude that he doesn't feel we are worth his (or a staffer's ) time?

    Dave
    I basically asked the same think on his Facebook page. So far no response there either.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Delavan, WI
    Posts
    71

    Post imported post

    I would suggest giving it some more time. Five days turn around is not likely for any question to a government official. Their answers are scripted carefully if tailored.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    §165.25 Duties of department of justice. The department of justice shall:

  20. #20
    Regular Member bigdaddy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southsider der hey
    Posts
    1,320

    Post imported post

    These government offices receive probably 1000's of messages each day. Most offices will have some auto-generated response to key questions, but some do not. It may take some time for the AG to fish through the pile.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

  21. #21
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Post imported post

    bigdaddy1 wrote:
    These government offices receive probably 1000's of messages each day. Most offices will have some auto-generated response to key questions, but some do not. It may take some time for the AG to fish through the pile.
    Please understand that this query was sent to his campaign website, not the DOJ.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  22. #22
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047

    Post imported post

    davegran wrote:
    bigdaddy1 wrote:
    These government offices receive probably 1000's of messages each day.* Most offices will have some auto-generated response to key questions, but some do not.* It may take some time for the AG to fish through the pile.
    Please understand that this query was sent to his campaign website, not the DOJ.
    Same here, actually his Facebook page in my case.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southwest, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    http://www.superiortelegram.com/event/article/id/42692

    SNIP

    Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen told Republican activists in Milwaukee over the weekend that he would continue to support the right to openly carry firearms.

    . . .

    “If the liberals don’t want to give us the right to carry concealed firearms as law-abiding citizens, by God they’re not going to take away our right to openly carry firearms,” Van Hollen said.
    People, please... Since when you do support someone who believes that rights come from liberals! As in, 'if the liberals don't want to give us the right...'

    I'm just sayin'

    Carry on

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •