• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No "CCW " permitted for Non US Citizen's

irish_ironsight

Formerly of Ireland, now Martinsburg, WV, West Vir
imported post

Well isn't that a kick in the head?

(EDIT: I should have said that I'm here as a legal Alien )

My wife and I are just in the process of sorting out our eventual move to Missouri, so she called about getting the application's for CCW permit's so we can have all our duck's lined up in a row as it were.

Anyway, she had a conversation with an Officer from the Highway patrol, and was told under no circumstances would I be granted a permit to carry a concealed weapon because I am not a U.S Citizen. She should be fine, but I was out of luck.

It seems as though the Officer was very knowledgeable, he told her the chapter of the State Code where is state's plainly:

571.101. 1. All applicants for concealed carry endorsements issued pursuant to subsection 7 of this section must satisfy the requirements of sections 571.101 to 571.121.

If the said applicant can show qualification as provided by sections 571.101 to 571.121, the county or city sheriff shall issue a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement. Upon receipt of such certificate, the certificate holder shall apply for a driver's license or non driver's license with the director of revenue in order to obtain a concealed carry endorsement. Any person who has been issued a concealed carry endorsement on a driver's license or non driver's license and such endorsement or license has not been suspended, revoked, canceled, or denied may carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or within a vehicle. A concealed carry endorsement shall be valid for a period of three years from the date of issuance or renewal. The concealed carry endorsement is valid throughout this state.

2. A certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to subsection 7 of this section shall be issued by the sheriff or his or her designee of the county or city in which the applicant resides, if the applicant:

(1) Is at least twenty-three years of age, is a citizen of the United States and either:

(a) Has assumed residency in this state; or

(b) Is a member of the armed forces stationed in Missouri, or the spouse of such member of the military;

So, Im wondering just how popular is Open carry in the Cape Girardeau area and surrounds?

Article1section23

imported post

Check Utah, it might work for you. No OC in Cape and I think Sikeston has OC ban, rest should be ok. I think there are 2-3 guys that OC in Jackson all the time.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

irish_ironsight wrote:

So, Im wondering just how popular is Open carry in the Cape Girardeau area and surrounds?
Uhm, No, it is not a kick in the head IMHO at all.

When / if you choose the become an American citizen, you are then granted all the rights and responsibilities afforded one, until then, all you get is a friendly welcome.

Broondog

imported post

LMTD wrote:
irish_ironsight wrote:

Uhm, No, it is not a kick in the head IMHO at all.

When / if you choose the become an American citizen, you are then granted all the rights and responsibilities afforded one, until then, all you get is a friendly welcome.
+1 to that!

i'm all for legal immigrants who come to the US to walk the path of citizenship, but until that path is completed there are some things that should not be afforded them. this is one of those things.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

9026543 wrote:
FL will issue you a permit if you are a lawful permanent resident alien and have proof of such.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/application_instructions/Concealed%20Weapon_ApplicationInstructions.pdf

If you are a lawful permanent resident alien you should be able to have the same self protection as the rest of us.
I disagree 100%

If you want the rights guaranteed to you, naturalize, if you don't, then you have made the choice.

If you are not a citizen of this country, you should not have ownership or possession of arms.

It is certainly not against the OP at any level or those whom come here seeking a different life than their home country afforded them, but if you want the cream, step up and help milk the cows.

silo

imported post

LMTD wrote:
If you are not a citizen of this country, you should not have ownership or possession of arms.
Out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for this? The reason we want to be able to have a gun on us is to defend us from criminals. Why shouldn't a foreigner have that same right to defend himself or herself? Again, as we all like to say, criminals don't care about laws; all you'd be doing by barring foreigners from having firearms is allowing more people to be victimized, and you'd be telling criminals that a particular class of this country are going to be defenseless against attack.

imported post

LMTD wrote:
9026543 wrote:
FL will issue you a permit if you are a lawful permanent resident alien and have proof of such.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/application_instructions/Concealed%20Weapon_ApplicationInstructions.pdf

If you are a lawful permanent resident alien you should be able to have the same self protection as the rest of us.
I disagree 100%

If you want the rights guaranteed to you, naturalize, if you don't, then you have made the choice.

It is certainly not against the OP at any level or those whom come here seeking a different life than their home country afforded them, but if you want the cream, step up and help milk the cows.

I see. Then you think that he should not be entitled to any means ofself defense while he is working toward citizenship maybe. The last I knew citizenship was not granted overnight and was a lenghty process.

God help the poster if he has a strong Irish accent and some scumbag jumps him because he thinks this person has no means of protection.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sure, an' its a kick in the head, O'Riley.

Self-defense is a basic human right. Right up there next to the right to life itself.

As Ted Nugent said in that interview video, I do not need another man telling me when, where, how, and whether I can defend myself. At another point in the interview he says the 2nd Amendment is his concealed carry permit.

Down in the legal weeds, as far as I know, legal aliens enjoy the same 4th and 5th Amendment rights as citizens.

I see no legitimate reason toinfringe their right to defend themselves by infringing the means.

It is too fundamental, a natural right.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sure glad that we did not refuse these men arms.
http://americanfounding.blogspot.com/2009/01/foreigners-who-served-in-american.html

Don't know what objection some might have to to legal residents from other nations. Some of the posters here have been so qualified. Perhaps the most prolific and dedicated was TrueBrit, may he rest in peace.

It is the law in many states - it should be universal IMO.

Yata hey

Superlite27

imported post

You know, I formerly believed that all human beings possessed the God given right to effective self defense and that the Constitution only guaranteed this.

Evidently, I was wrong. God given rights only belong to us 'Mericans!

Only in America will you find people who will give their lives and die for the freedom of people in other countries...then proclaim that the rights granted by the creator to all human beings only belong to those who meet certain qualifiers. Namely: You have to have a piece of paper saying you're American or else God doesn't care.

Irish: I would also suggest performing research on other states that issue non-resident permits as Missouri recognizes all.

As for your question about Open Carry in Cape Girardo: NO GO.

Themajority of laws in Missouri are written to ban a specific action and to later exempt certain actors (i.e. police, CCW holders)

In
Cape Girardo, it seems as if they have banned OC, yet failed to exempt CCW holders, therefore, making OC illegal for we second class citizens who don't posess shiny metal badges. (and especially for you non-citizens who God deigns unworthy of rights he grants to the rest of us.)

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10505/level3/PII_C17_AV.html#PII_C17_AV_s17-96

Sec. 17-98. - Unlawful possession or use of weapons.

(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful possession or use of weapons if he knowingly:

(1) Carries, concealed upon or about his person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or

(2) Possesses or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated; or

(3) Discharges a firearm or projectile weapon; or

(4) Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any school, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government, state government, or political subdivision thereof, or into any public assemblage of persons met for any lawful purpose; or

(5) Openly carries a firearm readily capable of lethal use.

(b) Subsections (a)(1), (3), (4) and (5) of this section shall not apply to or affect any of the following:

(1) All state, county and municipal law enforcement officers possessing the duty and power of arrest for violations of the general criminal laws of the state or for violations of ordinances of counties or municipalities of the state, or any person summoned by such officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while actually engaged in assisting such officer;

(2) Wardens, superintendents and keepers of prisons, penitentiaries, jails and other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of crime;

(3) Members of the armed forces or national guard while performing their official duty;

(4) Those persons vested by Article V, Section 1 of the Constitution of Missouri with the judicial power of the state;

(5) Any persons whose bona fide duty is to execute process, civil or criminal.

(c) Subsections (a)(1), (2), (4) and (5) of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subsection (a)(1) of this section does not apply when the actor is in his dwelling unit or upon business premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state. Subsection (a)(3) of this section does not apply when the actor discharges a firearm or projectile weapon in a safe manner at a suitable firearm, air gun or archery range. Subsection (a)(3) of this section does not apply when the actor is in his dwelling unit or upon business premises over which the actor has possession and reasonably discharges a firearm or projectile weapon in defense of himself, a third person or property. Subsection (a)(5) of this section does not apply when the actor openly carries a firearm readily capable of lethal use at a suitable firearm range.

(d) Subsections (a)(1) and (4) of this section shall not apply to any person possessing a valid authorization to carry concealed weapons under Section 571.094 of the Revised Statutes of Missouri, to the extent that statute prohibits the enforcement of those subsections, and subject to the location limitations, and other limitations contained in that statute.

Note: lack of (5) in exemption section (d) (blue type)for CCW holders making OC illegal.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Although I won't go into all the details on this forum at this hour, I will say that Missouri's citizenship requirement is unconstitutional as a violation of the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses of the 14th Amendment. Similar requirements have been successfully challenged in other states, but apparently no one has yet challenged Missouri's law.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

mofalloncarry wrote:
LMTD wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for this? The reason we want to be able to have a gun on us is to defend us from criminals. Why shouldn't a foreigner have that same right to defend himself or herself? Again, as we all like to say, criminals don't care about laws; all you'd be doing by barring foreigners from having firearms is allowing more people to be victimized, and you'd be telling criminals that a particular class of this country are going to be defenseless against attack.
Because I am old enough to remember when prison overcrowding in Mexico resulted in the Mexican authorities releasing and busing hundreds to this country.

Because while we have our issues with the system in place, it is not at all unheard of for foreign countries to hide the criminal past of immigrants to get them here.

Because I do not think social security, medicaid, food stamps, HUD housing, Education, ect, ect should be provided to those whom are not citizens.

If one has applied for citizenship and is on the path then yes, all the rights guaranteed, if not even in the process, then not at all.

I am actually unsure why folks are so eager to grant the same guarantees to those whom are not citizens, or as pointed out on the path to citizenship.

No offense to the OP

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Although I won't go into all the details on this forum at this hour, I will say that Missouri's citizenship requirement is unconstitutional as a violation of the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses of the 14th Amendment. Similar requirements have been successfully challenged in other states, but apparently no one has yet challenged Missouri's law.
When you get the chance, I would like to see the cites where this has been challenged and won by a non-citizen of the US.

Equal protection 14a issues surrounded our pathetic past of not classifying black and Indian persons in this country as citizens. We also failed to allow the ladies to be citizens as well, but to my knowledge, we have never granted foreign nationals constitutional guarantees as they are under the flag of another country.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LMTD wrote:
mofalloncarry wrote:
LMTD wrote:
Because I am old enough to remember when prison overcrowding in Mexico resulted in the Mexican authorities releasing and busing hundreds to this country.

Because while we have our issues with the system in place, it is not at all unheard of for foreign countries to hide the criminal past of immigrants to get them here.

Because I do not think social security, medicaid, food stamps, HUD housing, Education, ect, ect should be provided to those whom are not citizens.

If one has applied for citizenship and is on the path then yes, all the rights guaranteed, if not even in the process, then not at all.

I am actually unsure why folks are so eager to grant the same guarantees to those whom are not citizens, or as pointed out on the path to citizenship.

No offense to the OP
I'm gonna stick my neck out a little.

Even if they are here illegally, aliens deserve the right to defend themselves. Deport or imprison them for being here illegally, no doubt about it. But, there isinsufficient reason to deny them the fundamental human right to defend themselves from violent criminals.

As soon as we start giving government the power to regulate self-defense...well,look tothe history ofgun control in this country.

I'll even go so far as to say that Isuspect an illegal immigrant who legitimately knocks off one of our violent criminals while defending himself against that criminal has maybe done us a favor. He might be somebody we should consider keeping around. God knows we have enough limp-wristed,panty-waist citizenswho would faint or curl up in a fetal ball ata criminal's assault.Maybe we should consider givinga defender alienan automatic work visa so he can earn his way to citizenship. A sort of amnesty in recognition for having reduced the violent criminal population and proving he has some mettle.

(Boy, wouldn't that proposal drive Pelosi nuts. A tide of illegal immigrants on the hunt for violent crimes to interrupt so they could get citizenship. Put the police out of the street patrol business practicallyovernight.)

Jared

imported post

LMTD wrote:
mofalloncarry wrote:
LMTD wrote:

No offense to the OP

It doesn't matter what you think. Case law is against you, SCOTUS said that the constitution even applies to illegal aliens.

If the bill of rights are pre-existing rights then how can the government limit them.

Myself and Gray Peterson got the ball rolling and that led to Washington repealing their law discriminating against non-citizens.

The Supreme Court already spoke on this issue in Grahm v Richardson and the author of the 14th Amendment spoke on this matter.

Good thing that your bigoted view is constitutionally inaccurate and bigoted laws such as the one in MO have been vanishing over time.

There are plent of U.S. Citizens that have no business and most Americans (who probably never left the country) don't know how much goes into getting a Resident Alien card or even a non-immigrant visa. I can tell you that it is more work than what the average U.S. Citizen in a trailer park somewhere does to get a "CCW permit"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jared wrote:
SNIP It doesn't matter what you think. Case law is against you, SCOTUS said that the constitution even applies to illegal aliens.
Ouch. That was a bit harsh.

He was being fairly tame. No name calling, no cussing. Hardly any strong language at all. No sneaky tactics. Put his thoughts on the line with no hidden agenda, nor any carefully hiddenimplied assumptions.Persuasion is still called for.

An old rhyme goes: "A man convinced against his will is of his former opinion still."

Pulling out the big guns and telling him his thoughts don't matter...well, I guess you know what I mean.

Broondog

imported post

LMTD Wrote:

No offense to the OP

----------------------------

i am also unsure.

since the rights guaranteed in the Constitution are god given does that mean that all immigrants should be granted them? including illegals? where is the line drawn?

how about the Hamas refugees that our resident is paying for to come here? should they have all the privileges that US citizens enjoy? how about Mohammed Atta? gun for him too?

seriously, where is the line drawn? my personal belief is that it ends with citizenship. if an individual goes thru the process of attaining US citizenship then i am behind them 100%. if they just want to come here because it's better than where they come from, but pledge no allegiance to the United States of America, then too bad so sad.

if i were to relocate to another country as a non-citizen would i be granted full citizenship privileges? i think not.

no offense intended to the OP but come on, you want to have your cake and eat it too? if your intent is to become a citizen, GREAT! if not then enjoy what America has to offer you as a non-citizen and deal with the limitations of that as well.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Broondog wrote:
SNIP i am also unsure.

since the rights guaranteed in the Constitution are god given does that mean that all immigrants should be granted them? including illegals? where is the line drawn?

seriously, where is the line drawn?

I'm betting one can draw the line where ever he wants. If citizenship is the line for you, according to your conscience, go with it.

I was once a citizen-only person. The more I thought about it--meaning the more I looked it over--the less certain I became.

For example,if one's main angle is to discourage illegal immigration, or encourage legal citizenship, that would certainly have somevalidity. Those are worthy things to discourage and encourage. And, it would beeven more valid to decide whether rights are sufficientlyunimportant to use them as a negotiating tool.

You justgotta look it over for yourself and see where you land.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Jared wrote:
SNIP It doesn't matter what you think. Case law is against you, SCOTUS said that the constitution even applies to illegal aliens.
..well, I guess you know what I mean.
No, he doesn't, but that's ok too.

While my opinion is different than his, I simply requested cites which he tried to provide, though it was the length of residency that shifted SCOTUS in Grahm, but that's an entirely different issue.

Jarad,
A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. The correct use of the term requires the elements of obstinacy, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing opinion.
The term is also used to refer to persons hostile to people of differing race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religion etc.
Thank you for providing the example that makes it clear.

Citizen,
I understand your point on fundamental rights to self defense. I think it is a valid point, however, its validity does not give it enough merit in the big picture in my book.
I am not a fan of foreign ownership of property here either. I stated that knowing I may get blasted again. That does not change that I am old enough to remember Japan being the purchaser of over 90% of the real estate sold in the late 80's in Hawaii, I believe we had to establish one of those bigot kind of laws to prevent the entire state from becoming foreign owned.
I personally am not going to jump up and down trying to obtain, maintain or prevent the rights of foreigners, I prefer to work for the rights of the citizens of this country first.

Once every and any US citizen can walk into a gun store, buy a firearm, load it, put it in their pocket or strap it on, walk out of the store perfectly legally in all fifty states, perhaps then I will worry a bit about how our government regulates the alien population.

If I am going to be unpopular on this board for fighting for citizens rights first and not being concerned about non-citizens rights, well it will just have to be that way.