• Yes, it CAN be used for SD

24 85.71%
  • No, it CAN NOT be used for SD

4 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22LR For SD??

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

I figure that if you get shot, you get shot, even if it doesnt penetrate well its going to feel like you just got hit with a bat....just testing the waters and wanna see everyones opinions

NO BICKERING,FIGHTING,INSULTS,OR TROLLING or so help me
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Post imported post

I guess you can.Better then nothing

Post imported post

Everyone here was nice enough not to troll me when I said I want to get a FN Five/Seven for OC. Granted the Five/Seven is a lot more than just a slightly bigger .22. 20 round clips of high velocity .223 (5.7mm) rounds seems pretty powerful to me. 30% less recoil than a 9mm = easier to hit your target. There are no hollow points available for them but the penetration seems to be similar. These 5.7mm rounds actually spin around sideways as they penetrate instead of expanding. A Five/Seven is probably out of your price range though, as they are about 1k.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Post imported post

With a .22 pistol, it would take seven well aimed shots to inject the same lead volume of one bullet of .45ACP. Those seven shots take time, and the cumulative effect may not be reached until minutes or even hours later. People have been shot in the face with a .22 and lived. While you are squeezing off your second and third shot, your attacker will not be just standing there waiting for more. They will be continuing the attack, or making it a lot more difficult to shoot them again.
    http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...f-defense.html

Post imported post

Yes... without a doubt a .22lr can be effective in causing an attacker to stop attacking.

First way is just the sight of the gun will cause the bad guy to rethink his actions. For that any gun in any caliber will do.

Second is a whole bunch of little .22 holes on target will cause a lot of leaks and cause the bad guy to stop doing what he was doing.

One thing that is often overlooked about the supposedly "lowly" .22 is....

A bunch of little holes on target are far better than a bunch of big holes that didn't happen because of misses.

So.. for a person who is recoil sensitive and can't hold a larger caliber on target rapid fire... the .22 makes sense because.... the .22 is easy to control recoil and.....

only holes count. Misses don't do squat no matter how big the bullet is that missed.

Having said that... logic says the wisest choice for each individual is to use the gun/caliber combination they themselves are most proficient with.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

As I say every time the .22 cal. comes up...is it effective?

ASK BRADY AND REAGAN!!! :what:

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    As I say every time the .22 cal. comes up...is it effective?

ASK BRADY AND REAGAN!!! :what:
    Bobby Kennedy too.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I thought he was hit with a .25?

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    I thought he was hit with a .25?
    No, it was a .22

Post imported post

Okay, now I can increase my statement to 3 from now on. I always get a grin when I tell people that and you see their light come on. :what:

Post imported post

after reading up on hitmen using 22....i figure if its good enough for assassins....its good enough for me....
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

Post imported post

That was the preferred caliber by many.
    Also a .45 slug out of a smooth bore was gaining popularity after the introduction of the Thompson.

Post imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
    after reading up on hitmen using 22....i figure if its good enough for assassins....its good enough for me....
    LOL good point. Also, 22lr would be easier to come by (dealer purchases) for those under 21 years of age.

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    LOL good point. Also, 22lr would be easier to come by (dealer purchases) for those under 21 years of age.
    Emailed Wessels about a Model 60 for 100$ just now and i already have 625 rds of .22lr lol

Post imported post

I don't disagree that a .22 can be used to kill a human being, however you do need to keep in mind that a "hitman" would most likely have (A) surprise and (B) discretion as to the location and basic conditions that he chooses to shoot in.

This allows for accurate shot placement, which is essential, particularly with a smaller caliber.

Most self defense scenarios will not give you these options.

It is, however, possible that I am biased. I carry a .45
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

McX

Post imported post

i've heard not to underestimate the .22 mag- put the hurt on you!

Post imported post

obviously not the preferred caliber.

but since i was stupid and got rid of the charles daly...the ruger is all i have left currently for home defense.

loaded w/ 3 factory 10 rounders on a star clip,and a surefire on it,attached to a side folding stock,i switch it between a red dot and a scope,depending on if im going hunting or not.It is a MI pistol,26 1/4 inches long when folded.

for legal purposes,and to stop people from bickering about it once again,when i say its mine,it is in my mothers name until july,and it technically stays in her possesion at all times.

light punch,but it is better than a baseball bat,extremely accurate,reliable and easy to operate.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

Mosnar87 wrote:
    I don't disagree that a .22 can be used to kill a human being, however you do need to keep in mind that a "hitman" would most likely have (A) surprise and (B) discretion as to the location and basic conditions that he chooses to shoot in.

This allows for accurate shot placement, which is essential, particularly with a smaller caliber.

Most self defense scenarios will not give you these options.

It is, however, possible that I am biased. I carry a .45
    Not knocking the .45 but even with that larger than .22 bullet accurate shot placement is still needed or the .45 won't do much to stop the problem either.

I think perhaps the question isn't whether the .22 is better than the .45 (or 9mm, or .380, or insert your favorite caliber here) but is whether or not the .22 can be, or is, an effective caliber for self defense.

And the real world answer is ... yes... for some people it is the most effective caliber they can use most effectively.

Yooperlady can put 8 rounds of .22lr into COM just as fast as she can pull the trigger........ while moving. But give her any larger caliber and the recoil causes ineffectual peripheral hits and some misses. So... for her... the .22 is the most effective caliber she can use most effectively.

For me... anything larger than a 9mm in the same circumstances and I get peripheral hits and an occasional miss... so, for me, 9mm is the most effective caliber I can use most effectively.

Which caliber is the one you can use most effectively? I don't know... experiment.. then use the one that works best for you regardless of who says which caliber is the one and only holy grail of calibers.

Because only accurate hits count regardless of the size of the bullets doing the hitting.

Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

i carry a full size 1911-22
    and i am not worried about not being protected at all

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

One 22LR placed well is deadly! If you've got a semi auto like my old Marlin 60 you get 17 chances @ it! Even the new Marlin 795 (10rd mags) can do the job in a pinch and all for around $100 after the $25 rebate. I own both & they are very accurate.

“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Post imported post

that looks strikingly similar to a ruger 10/22
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

OK, I'm gonna get drawn into this one only to dispel anyone's notion that the 22lr should be recommended for SD. Maybe a boot back up or something but never recommend for your primary.

AMBOY, I'm sure you read your long threat just a while ago where everyone here chimed in on what caliber and bullet was the best. I know you know no one mentioned the 22lr. We all talked about energy, penetration, expansionand all the factors of powerful enough rounds. 22lr ain't it.

I see things from the failure mode perspective, not from the perspective that if it worked once for someone in some circumstance that it's OK. Try checking on how many tales of how the 22lr had failed. Failure mode perspective says to me if it fails once I need to know why anfd fix it. Carry rounds proven to protect. Do 9s, 40s,45s and so one have failure modes as well sure but no on the scale of the 22lr in SD mode.

I don't think anyone here in SD can guarantee a perfect shot to make the 22lr work. In SD you are not even thinking, you're not aiming, you just react to being attacked and if you shoot it is reactionary with no precision that you would require to guarantee a SD kill. Sure you can train and train and traina nd be the best, but you just can't guarantee the great shots, check all the LEO stories of all the misses. The hits you get need to do as much destruction as possible.

I just can't advocate using22lr for SD. Hey if that's all there is.... work on getting something better asap.

Post imported post

I have a Browning Buckmark Pistol in .22 LR (Camper Model) that is a blast to shoot and great for practice (cheap too!). I have seen a 9 yo load and fire mag after mag with this type of pistol with little to no trouble. I guess it could be used for SD, but I would not consider it a main carry pistol unless it was all I had. The most effective pistol you have is the one you will carry and can shoot well!

I feel most comfortable with my S&W M&P Full-Size 9mm for daily OC (2 - 17 round mags of Speer GDHP 124 Gr +P). I replaced the standard sear with the Apex Tactical Drop-In Replacement Sear which SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASED ACCURACY (down to 4.25 lbs trigger pull, breaks like glass). With this setup, the perceived recoil feels very similar to the Browning Buckmark Pistol. I like the 9mm as ammo would be available in SHTF (military-type round, although 9 mm NATO is closer to 9 mm +P).

I also carry my S&W M&P 9c for daily CC (2 - 12 round mags of Winchester PDX1 JHP 124 Gr +P). I will also carry my S&W M&P 45 for OC from time to time, although I keep it more for home protection. Both of these are setup with the same replacement sear, which has increased accuracy. All of these pistols fit my Serpa and Fobus holsters, although I need to invest in a mag holster and maybe a left-handed holster to carry one of these as a BUG.

Out in the MI Woods, I feel most comfortable with my Ruger GP100 in .357 mag (Speer GDHP 158 Gr).

Variety is the spice of life! Thank God for calibers of all sizes!
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

Sure, a .22 will work. That said, itjust does not deliver the level of energy I want in an SD round. For me .38 special or 9mm is the minimum. When you look at the energy, penetration, and expansion numbers .22 is found wanting.

I personally could not find justification for carrying a .22 when there are so many other better options out there.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

A 22lr is a poor choice compared to many but if it is what is available when needed then so be it.

Given the choice between one 45 (235gr) round vs 10x36gr (360gr) 22lr I'll go with the 22lr. Something we also forget is ammo choice their are many fine choices in 22lr. that can increase stopping power. CCI jhp do well and hey when not needed for defense you can bag a rabbit or a squirrel and feed yourself I've tried that with a 45 (yuck) very messy:shock:
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast