• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.22LR For SD??

Yes or No

• Yes, it CAN be used for SD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it CAN NOT be used for SD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

I figure that if you get shot, you get shot, even if it doesnt penetrate well its going to feel like you just got hit with a bat....just testing the waters and wanna see everyones opinions

NO BICKERING,FIGHTING,INSULTS,OR TROLLING or so help me :cuss:

fozzy71

imported post

Everyone here was nice enough not to troll me when I said I want to get a FN Five/Seven for OC. Granted the Five/Seven is a lot more than just a slightly bigger .22. 20 round clips of high velocity .223 (5.7mm) rounds seems pretty powerful to me. 30% less recoil than a 9mm = easier to hit your target. There are no hollow points available for them but the penetration seems to be similar. These 5.7mm rounds actually spin around sideways as they penetrate instead of expanding. A Five/Seven is probably out of your price range though, as they are about 1k.

DetroitBiker

imported post

With a .22 pistol, it would take seven well aimed shots to inject the same lead volume of one bullet of .45ACP. Those seven shots take time, and the cumulative effect may not be reached until minutes or even hours later. People have been shot in the face with a .22 and lived. While you are squeezing off your second and third shot, your attacker will not be just standing there waiting for more. They will be continuing the attack, or making it a lot more difficult to shoot them again.
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/04/22-long-rifle-for-self-defense.html

B

Bikenut

imported post

Yes... without a doubt a .22lr can be effective in causing an attacker to stop attacking.

First way is just the sight of the gun will cause the bad guy to rethink his actions. For that any gun in any caliber will do.

Second is a whole bunch of little .22 holes on target will cause a lot of leaks and cause the bad guy to stop doing what he was doing.

One thing that is often overlooked about the supposedly "lowly" .22 is....

A bunch of little holes on target are far better than a bunch of big holes that didn't happen because of misses.

So.. for a person who is recoil sensitive and can't hold a larger caliber on target rapid fire... the .22 makes sense because.... the .22 is easy to control recoil and.....

only holes count. Misses don't do squat no matter how big the bullet is that missed.

Having said that... logic says the wisest choice for each individual is to use the gun/caliber combination they themselves are most proficient with.

WARCHILD

imported post

Okay, now I can increase my statement to 3 from now on. I always get a grin when I tell people that and you see their light come on. :what:

WARCHILD

imported post

That was the preferred caliber by many.
Also a .45 slug out of a smooth bore was gaining popularity after the introduction of the Thompson.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
after reading up on hitmen using 22....i figure if its good enough for assassins....its good enough for me....
LOL good point. Also, 22lr would be easier to come by (dealer purchases) for those under 21 years of age.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
after reading up on hitmen using 22....i figure if its good enough for assassins....its good enough for me....
LOL good point. Also, 22lr would be easier to come by (dealer purchases) for those under 21 years of age.
Emailed Wessels about a Model 60 for 100$ just now :) and i already have 625 rds of .22lr lol

Mosnar87

imported post

I don't disagree that a .22 can be used to kill a human being, however you do need to keep in mind that a "hitman" would most likely have (A) surprise and (B) discretion as to the location and basic conditions that he chooses to shoot in.

This allows for accurate shot placement, which is essential, particularly with a smaller caliber.

Most self defense scenarios will not give you these options.

It is, however, possible that I am biased. I carry a .45:D

M

McX

imported post

i've heard not to underestimate the .22 mag- put the hurt on you!

lil_freak_66

imported post

obviously not the preferred caliber.

but since i was stupid and got rid of the charles daly...the ruger is all i have left currently for home defense.

loaded w/ 3 factory 10 rounders on a star clip,and a surefire on it,attached to a side folding stock,i switch it between a red dot and a scope,depending on if im going hunting or not.It is a MI pistol,26 1/4 inches long when folded.

for legal purposes,and to stop people from bickering about it once again,when i say its mine,it is in my mothers name until july,and it technically stays in her possesion at all times.

light punch,but it is better than a baseball bat,extremely accurate,reliable and easy to operate.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Mosnar87 wrote:

I don't disagree that a .22 can be used to kill a human being, however you do need to keep in mind that a "hitman" would most likely have (A) surprise and (B) discretion as to the location and basic conditions that he chooses to shoot in.

This allows for accurate shot placement, which is essential, particularly with a smaller caliber.

Most self defense scenarios will not give you these options.

It is, however, possible that I am biased. I carry a .45:D
Not knocking the .45 but even with that larger than .22 bullet accurate shot placement is still needed or the .45 won't do much to stop the problem either.

I think perhaps the question isn't whether the .22 is better than the .45 (or 9mm, or .380, or insert your favorite caliber here) but is whether or not the .22 can be, or is, an effective caliber for self defense.

And the real world answer is ... yes... for some people it is the most effective caliber they can use most effectively.

Yooperlady can put 8 rounds of .22lr into COM just as fast as she can pull the trigger........ while moving. But give her any larger caliber and the recoil causes ineffectual peripheral hits and some misses. So... for her... the .22 is the most effective caliber she can use most effectively.

For me... anything larger than a 9mm in the same circumstances and I get peripheral hits and an occasional miss... so, for me, 9mm is the most effective caliber I can use most effectively.

Which caliber is the one you can use most effectively? I don't know... experiment.. then use the one that works best for you regardless of who says which caliber is the one and only holy grail of calibers.

Because only accurate hits count regardless of the size of the bullets doing the hitting.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One 22LR placed well is deadly! If you've got a semi auto like my old Marlin 60 you get 17 chances @ it! Even the new Marlin 795 (10rd mags) can do the job in a pinch and all for around $100 after the $25 rebate. I own both & they are very accurate.