• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.22LR For SD??

Yes or No

• Yes, it CAN be used for SD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it CAN NOT be used for SD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
B

Bikenut

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
you need stopping power not bleed out holes.
There are 3 ways, and only 3 ways, to cause an attacker to stop attacking. None of them are contingent on bullet size... and none of them have anything to do with the made up advertising term "stopping power"... but one of them is contingent on bleed out holes.

1. The bad guy makes a conscious decision to stop doing what he is doing all on his own due to either being talked out of it, seeing the gun (gun doesn't even need to be fired), or realizing he has been shot. This is a "psychological stop" because the bad guy doesn't need to be hurt bad... or even hurt at all.

2. Central nervous system interruption. A bullet does enough damage to the brain and shuts down the brain. Or a bullet does enough damage to the spinal cord/brain stem and shuts down the brain's ability to send messages to the body. This one takes exceptionally good marksmanship........ or a whole lot of luck because the brain/brain stem/spinal cord are difficult things to hit when the attacker is moving around.

3. Blood loss shuts down the brain. The brain needs oxygen from the blood to function. Stop the blood from flowing and the oxygen stops ... the brain stops... and the attack stops. But this one requires major blood loss over a short period of time in order to do any good since ... even after the blood supply is completely shut down (bullet through the heart for example) the brain can still function for 30 seconds or more just on the oxygen still in it.

Blood loss... one would think that this makes the case for big bullets. Actually no... it makes the case for accurate placement of any size bullet. The more holes ... the more blood loss... the quicker the attack stops. Bullets that miss do not make holes that cause blood loss.

So... once again... the best self defense caliber is the one the individual person can control the best in order to get reliably accurate hits that make holes for blood to leak out of... or to get central nervous system hits.... regardless of how big, or how small, that caliber is.

The real definition of "stopping power" is............. accuracy. And accuracy has nothing to do with the size of the bullet but is all about the ability of the shooter to control where those bullets go.

And close proximity doesn't guarantee effective hits, or even hits, because during a fight (and self defense is a fight that will NOT happen the way we thought about while sitting in our easy chair) no one is standing still just waiting for the defender to shoot.... not even the defender will be standing still.

Recoil88

imported post

If all you have is a .22 pistol or revolver for SD and you are getting attacked shoot at the face and neck. Pumping .22 rounds into an attackers torso legs or arms really wont accomplish much. At least you might be able to hit the jugular if lucky or maybe even an eye that would be a better and faster chance at stopping an attacker with a .22 pistol or revolver.

malignity

imported post

Recoil88 wrote:
Pumping .22 rounds into an attackers torso legs or arms really wont accomplish much.

You've never seen a wound to a femoral or brachial artery have you? :lol:

I do agree though, shooting in the chest and/or face would resolve in a quicker ability to stop your aggressor.

the500kid

imported post

I beleive more LEO are killed with a .22 than any thing else. That's the stat my cop buddy tells me anyway. Oh, and hits are the only thing that count so if you can hit with that good on ya.

choover

imported post

Recoil88 wrote:
If all you have is a .22 pistol or revolver for SD and you are getting attacked shoot at the face and neck. Pumping .22 rounds into an attackers torso legs or arms really wont accomplish much. At least you might be able to hit the jugular if lucky or maybe even an eye that would be a better and faster chance at stopping an attacker with a .22 pistol or revolver.
You do not aim at the head or neck in a high stress situation.. Aim for the torso period.I would love to see you have your adrenaline pumping and somebody moving around and you aiming for the head or neck ..

sevenplusone

imported post

the500kid wrote:
I beleive more LEO are killed with a .22 than any thing else. That's the stat my cop buddy tells me anyway. Oh, and hits are the only thing that count so if you can hit with that good on ya.

That's because there are a lot more .22's available for cheap/stolen on the street than used in legit self-defense type shootings.

Recoil88

imported post

choover wrote:
Recoil88 wrote:
You do not aim at the head or neck in a high stress situation.. Aim for the torso period.I would love to see you have your adrenaline pumping and somebody moving around and you aiming for the head or neck ..
It all depends on the person and situation.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
A friend had sent an email recently about a Self-Protection incident that proved to be false. Interestingly enough, the story at the bottom of the snopes page listed an actual Self-Defense incident involving a .22 LR. 3 shots, 2 dead bad guys.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/homeinvasion.asp
Two bad guys DOA from a 22lr in the hands of an 11yr. See a 22 can indeed be used for SD in a pinch ;)

DetroitBiker

imported post

I could probably beat someone to death with a feather pillow ,That is if I had enough time and theydidnt move around on me. :D But If they were a serious threat to me or a loved one I would opt for something more immediate.Could a .22LR be used for SD? yep, but I wouldn`t want to be caught dead with one. (pun intended):cool:

Recoil88

imported post

My reasoning is this the bigger the caliber you use the faster the threat can be put down if you have to shoot. I am not saying carry a S&W .500 becasuse you have to use what is best for you and if thats a .22 then be proficient with it.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

49 20 74 68 69 6e 6b 20 69 6d 20 74 68 65 20 62 65 73 74 2e 2e 2e 48 41 48 41 48 41 48 41 2e 2e 2e 2e 2e 69 20 77 69 6e 2e 2e 2e 2e 73 6f 2c 20 77 68 6f 20 6b 6e 6f 77 73 20 77 68 61 74 20 69 73 20 62 65 69 6e 67 20 73 61 69 64 3f 2e 2e 2e 2e 53 68 68 68 68 68 20 64 6f 6e 74 20 74 65 6c 6c 20 61 6e 79 6f 6e 65

[align=center][sub]HEX[/sub][sub]
[/sub]
[/align]

1245A Defender

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
49 20 74 68 69 6e 6b 20 69 6d 20 74 68 65 20 62 65 73 74 2e 2e 2e 48 41 48 41 48 41 48 41 2e 2e 2e 2e 2e 69 20 77 69 6e 2e 2e 2e 2e 73 6f 2c 20 77 68 6f 20 6b 6e 6f 77 73 20 77 68 61 74 20 69 73 20 62 65 69 6e 67 20 73 61 69 64 3f 2e 2e 2e 2e 53 68 68 68 68 68 20 64 6f 6e 74 20 74 65 6c 6c 20 61 6e 79 6f 6e 65

[align=center][sub]HEX[/sub][sub]
[/sub]
[/align]
sooo what are ya really trying to say????????????????????????