• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M&P blue gun

amzbrady

imported post

joeroket wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
Back from the presentation it was a HUGE SUCCESS!!!:celebrate

My presentation should have been only 10 minutes long but me and the two judges were sitting talking til 2 PM into another students appointment since they didn't show up.

They loved my presentation, and at the end I got signatures from both to support my CPL Bill.

One of the judges told me, that even though she was familiar with firearms and believed in them, she wouldn't have given me a signature, but the fact that I had backed up with evidence and was passionate about it, she signed and asked for copies to copy and give to others for signatures!!!!!

I brought three holsters (empty), blackhawk serpa CQC level 2, XD non locking holster, and a leather holster as props. It was wonderful!

At the end I had my picture taken with my strongside (empty holster) showing and the judges even wished I did have my gun but it was against school rules and the law.

WHOOOO WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Good job Poo. just a question. Was this at a school, or a college or a public library?

Did you read the thread? it was a school function at a public library.

Nice Job Poo. I am glad it was such a success for you.

Joe, I did read the thread, "The presentation isn't going to be in an actual school. It's in a public library." thought maybe they changed locations...

"wished I did have my gun but it was against school rules and the law."

I dont understand how school rules apply at the public library or what law? He was lookingfor a plastic gun.Was this apublic library on school groundsor a public library on private property with a gun ban? Thats the part I dont understand.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

It was a public library in the city of tukwila. Legally amz, you could go in there (main library) with your CC or OC. But from what joeroket quoted from RCW (I haven't checked myself), because it is a school function, in that particular room (conference room aside from book area) CC or OC wouldn't be allowed unless you were to pick up or drop off student? Correct if I am wrong joeroket.

RCW 9.41.280Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities — Penalty — Exceptions.
(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

(a) Any firearm;

BUT WAIT JUST ONE SECOND!

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

Ok so now I am confused myself.

So a real gun would be covered...but what about a blue gun???

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
It was a public library in the city of tukwila. Legally amz, you could go in there (main library) with your CC or OC. But from what joeroket quoted from RCW (I haven't checked myself), because it is a school function, in that particular room (conference room aside from book area) CC or OC wouldn't be allowed unless you were to pick up or drop off student? Correct if I am wrong joeroket.

RCW 9.41.280Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities — Penalty — Exceptions.
(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

(a) Any firearm;

BUT WAIT JUST ONE SECOND!

(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

Ok so now I am confused myself.

So a real gun would be covered...but what about a blue gun???
training pistol (colored plastic) is not a dangerous weapon nor a firearm.

joeroket

imported post

Ok so the low down of it is that because it was an area of a facility that was being used exclusively for public school use it falls under RCW 9.41.280 1(a).

As Technoweenie said the blue training gun is not a dangerous weapon or firearm so it would not be covered under the RCW's, but it would fall under the zero tolerance policy that schools have concerning firearms. School rules apply because it was an authorized and official school function.

The gist of it is that someone carrying a gun would get arrested and Poo brining a training gun could have gotten him expelled and kept him from graduating. Neither of these outcomes are acceptable in my eyes.

Does that help amzbrady?

amzbrady

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Ok so the low down of it is that because it was an area of a facility that was being used exclusively for public school use it falls under RCW 9.41.280 1(a).

As Technoweenie said the blue training gun is not a dangerous weapon or firearm so it would not be covered under the RCW's, but it would fall under the zero tolerance policy that schools have concerning firearms. School rules apply because it was an authorized and official school function.

The gist of it is that someone carrying a gun would get arrested and Poo brining a training gun could have gotten him expelled and kept him from graduating. Neither of these outcomes are acceptable in my eyes.

Does that help amzbrady?

I understand and agree all the way up to the zero tolerance in public facility being used exclusively for public school use. I cant find anything on zero toleranceOFF of school property.

I do however think Poo made a very responsible decision not to push the issue, and I am not saying he should have tried to make this a case study. I am just questioning the issue on the legality of it. I think at times they push the issue with bad judgement, like the kid who brought a butter knife in hislunch bag to school, to spread peanut butter on his bread. Or the kid who made a finger gun jester on the playground while playing a cop, in acops and robbers game. To me some of it is just ludacris.

joeroket

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Does that help amzbrady?

I understand and agree all the way up to the zero tolerance in public facility being used exclusively for public school use. I cant find anything on zero tolerance OFF of school property.

You are mixing RCW with school policy. School Boards set policy on what student conduct is prohibited. These policies are in effect anytime a student is on school property or is at an event that is authorized by the school or school district that is not district property. This is the zero tolerance I was talking about.

I did a little looking and found that Everett School District has a policy that restricts anything that can reasonable be considered a weapon.

The Lakewood Board policy states that any object which looks like a weapon, such as a toy or “dummy” gun, knife or
grenade is prohibited and the penalty is expulsion.

So not all districts have the same policy on firearms but the majority of the larger ones have a policy that is more similar to Lakewoods policy.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

But what about this part;

Or am I not reading deep enough?

1245A Defender

imported post

i think that would only work if techno was actually dropping you off or picking you up.
he wouldnt be able to just hang around.
and im not sure he could actually come in the facility.

im very pleased that your presentation went so well, you done good:celebrate

joeroket

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
But what about this part;

Or am I not reading deep enough?

In the context of your presentation, because it was in a separate room in the library, that RCW would not apply as because there is public use of other parts of the library. The carrier would only be restricted from carrying in the room that the school presentations were being held in.

amzbrady