• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry in a national park

mrjam2jab

imported post

spencer280 wrote:
mrjam2jab wrote:
The park follows the laws of the state it is located in.
ya but that does not go for state parks in pa . see open carry is legel in pa but you have to conceal in a state park. borough parks follow pa state laws

Your question specified "national parks"...You may carry open or concealed in a national park in PA. ...as long as you dont enter any building that has Park staff stationed in it. Those buildings must have signage.

virginiatuck

imported post

I'm not a lawyer and am not offering you any legal advice. Consult an attorney in Pennsylvania before you do anything.

To my knowledge, Pennsylvania does not have any statutory law that prohibits the open carrying of firearms in any parks. As far as I know, any rules enacted by the PA DCNR only apply to those lands and property under the jurisdiction of the PA DCNR. The DCNR does not have jurisdiction over National Parks. Therefore, if my information is correct, it ought to be lawful to OC in a National Park in Pennsylvania.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
mrjam2jab wrote:
The park follows the laws of the state it is located in.
ya but that does not go for state parks in pa . see open carry is legel in pa but you have to conceal in a state park. borough parks follow pa state laws
National parks (including recreation areas and anything else under the "national park" umbrella now follows state law. For Pennsylvania, that means concealed carry with a license or open carry with or without a license (Philadelphia requires a license, the rest of the Commonwealth does not). Occupied buildings are off limits. Separate toilet facilities are not.

For Pennsylvania State Parks, 17 Pa. Code
§11.215(4) prohibits the carrying of firearms in state parks. 18 Pa. C.S. § 6109(m.2), however, authorizes concealed carry in state parks by a licensee.

Borough, city, county and township parks are preempted by
18 Pa. C.S. § 6120(a) from regulating the carrying of firearms, thus state law applies.

spencer280

imported post

\
thank you well wrote
National parks (including recreation areas and anything else under the "national park" umbrella now follows state law. For Pennsylvania, that means concealed carry with a license or open carry with or without a license (Philadelphia requires a license, the rest of the Commonwealth does not). Occupied buildings are off limits. Separate toilet facilities are not.

§11.215(4) prohibits the carrying of firearms in state parks. 18 Pa. C.S. § 6109(m.2), however, authorizes concealed carry in state parks by a licensee.

18 Pa. C.S. § 6120(a) from regulating the carrying of firearms, thus state law applies.

Sig229

imported post

spencer280 wrote:
thank you well wrote

Is there any regulation regarding which kind of license you must hold to conceal carry in PA state parks?

Right now, I only have my PA "Sportsman Firearms Permit". Would that be adequate while fishing in a PA state park?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

spencer280 wrote:
you have to have a LTCF to carry a concealed weapon and to transport it in a car. you get that in the sheriffs office
Actually the sportsman's permit works too under some conditions - anybody have that cite handy?

Sig229

imported post

spencer280 wrote:
you have to have a LTCF to carry a concealed weapon and to transport it in a car. you get that in the sheriffs office

That is NOT true.
My Sportsman Firearms Permit says "This pernit must be carried in conjunction with a valid fishing, hunting, fur taking or permit to train hunting dogs or going to or from the place you intend to hunt, fish, fur take or train hunting dogs"

So the question remains, if in PA state parks you are allowed to CC with a valid "permit or license" would a SFP be sufficient?

virginiatuck

imported post

Mike wrote:
spencer280 wrote:
Actually the sportsman's permit works too under some conditions - anybody have that cite handy?
I think you're referring to 18 Pa.C.S. 6106(c).

(c) Sportsman's firearm permit.-- (1) Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police. The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form. The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.

(b)(9) and (10) included here for reference:
(9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
(10) Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.

virginiatuck

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
So the question remains, if in PA state parks you are allowed to CC with a valid "permit or license" would a SFP be sufficient?
I think no, unless you are lawfully hunting and the firearm you are carrying is lawful for hunting. The term "licensee" in 18 Pa.C.S. Sec. 6109(m.2) specifically means a person licensed under section 6109. An SFP is under section 6106 and not mentioned anywhere in 6109.

18 Pa.C.S. Sec. 6109
(m.2) Inconsistent provisions.--Notwithstanding the provisions of section 7506 (relating to violation of rules regarding conduct on Commonwealth property), 75 Pa.C.S. § 7727 (relating to additional limitations on operation) or the act of June 28, 1995 (P.L. 89, No. 18), [FN3] known as the Conservation and Natural Resources Act, and regulations promulgated under that act, a firearm may be carried as provided in subsection (a) by: (1) a law enforcement officer whose current identification as a law enforcement officer shall be construed as a valid license to carry a firearm; or (2) any licensee.

(n) Definition.--As used in this section, the term "licensee" means an individual who is licensed to carry a firearm under this section.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Sig229 wrote:
I think no, unless you are lawfully hunting and the firearm you are carrying is lawful for hunting. The term "licensee" in 18 Pa.C.S. Sec. 6109(m.2) specifically means a person licensed under section 6109. An SFP is under section 6106 and not mentioned anywhere in 6109.

18 Pa.C.S. Sec. 6109
(m.2) Inconsistent provisions.--Notwithstanding the provisions of section 7506 (relating to violation of rules regarding conduct on Commonwealth property), 75 Pa.C.S. § 7727 (relating to additional limitations on operation) or the act of June 28, 1995 (P.L. 89, No. 18), [FN3] known as the Conservation and Natural Resources Act, and regulations promulgated under that act, a firearm may be carried as provided in subsection (a) by: (1) a law enforcement officer whose current identification as a law enforcement officer shall be construed as a valid license to carry a firearm; or (2) any licensee.

(n) Definition.--As used in this section, the term "licensee" means an individual who is licensed to carry a firearm under this section.
OK, good catch - but if one can fish in the state park, then the Sportsmens' permit would likley be construed to preempt the regulation or the intent of the act wuold be viewed as including this permit too - somebody needs to ask Kim Stolfer at ACSL about this issue to see if it was discussed or thought of when this clarification to the UFA was p[assed a couple of years ago.

Mr H

imported post

(emphasis added)

<<any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer>>

That seems to read that the 'sportsman' is expected to obtain the permit (although it appears to be an open time frame).

virginiatuck

imported post

Mr H wrote:
(emphasis added)

<<any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer>>

That seems to read that the 'sportsman' is expected to obtain the permit (although it appears to be an open time frame).
The time frame is specified, but you cut it off of your quote.

"Before any exception shall be granted..."

Mr H

imported post

Maybe I'm blind (I've been accused of worse!!)... Or maybe the legalese is my problem.

The only thing I see related to the time in which the permit should be issued is the 5-year validity period of the permit itself, once the hunting (etc.) license is issued.

I see the "requirement" (my term) to have the sportsmen's permit as a good thing... I just found it interesting that it reads "shall".

virginiatuck

imported post

Mr H wrote:
Maybe I'm blind (I've been accused of worse!!)... Or maybe the legalese is my problem.

The only thing I see related to the time in which the permit should be issued is the 5-year validity period of the permit itself, once the hunting (etc.) license is issued.

I see the "requirement" (my term) to have the sportsmen's permit as a good thing... I just found it interesting that it reads "shall".
It seems like you think it means that anyone 18 or older licensed to hunt must get an SFP. It doesn't. Maybe if you read the whole law it'd make more sense to you.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/PA/18/II/G/61/A/6106/firearms-not-to-be-carried-without-a-license/

The clause you seem to be ignoring is "Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section"

If you don't care to be granted the exceptions in (b)(9) or (10), then you don't have to get the SFP.