Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a extra mag.

Post imported post

Is it illegal to carry a extra mag. In your pocket while open carring? Not that I would due to lint and debris, just a question I had.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

ElmerFudd703 wrote:
    Is it illegal to carry a extra mag. In your pocket while open carring? Not that I would due to lint and debris, just a question I had.
    Yes you should turn yourself in for even asking about it.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Elmer.

Try not to take the veterans too seriously. This is a side of Longwatch of which we were unaware.

I know of no law that prohibits pocket carry of a magazine.

It just has to be a copy of American Handgunner or Combat Handguns. "O" by Oprah Winfrey will get you busted every time.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Lol! Thanks for the insight, just won me a $20 bet, I guess the responsibility of carrying a firearm wasn't enough, that some buddies of mine think its "ganster" to carry extra mags in their pockets and think its perfectly legal. Maybe I should pick new friends, huh?

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Elmer.

Try not to take the veterans too seriously. This is a side of Citizen of which we were well aware.

You can carry as much as you can carry.

Carry on!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Jim675 wrote:
    Welcome to OCDO, Elmer.

Try not to take the veterans too seriously. This is a side of Citizen of which we were well aware.

You can carry as much as you can carry.

Carry on!

Well, at least you didn't say it in haiku.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I carry one in my pocket all the time... even when unarmed... like today on my way into a courthouse until I remembered I had it on me.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

of course it's legal...this isn't California, after all.

Post imported post

ElmerFudd703 wrote:
    Lol! Thanks for the insight, just won me a $20 bet, I guess the responsibility of carrying a firearm wasn't enough, that some buddies of mine think its "ganster" to carry extra mags in their pockets and think its perfectly legal. Maybe I should pick new friends, huh?
    It is perfectly legal. Please don't spread misinformation because of a poorly communicated joke.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

ElmerFudd703 wrote:
    Lol! Thanks for the insight, just won me a $20 bet
    take that $20.00 add 5.00 to it and join the VCDL at VCDL. org. Show me your PayPal confirmation that you joined (flyboyEd@aol.com) and I will re-imburse you the extra $5.00 :-)

Welcome to OCDO.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

+1 for "legal". The underlying question is whether a loaded mag is equivalent to a loaded firearm? In Virginia the answer is no. In anti-gun states like Maryland the answer is yes. Even in some fairly free states like Ohio and Michigan it could still get you a CCW charge, albeit from an overzealous or anti-gun officer.

By the way, I carry my backup mag in my weak side pants pocket. Glock will shoot anything, lint and all.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    In anti-gun states like Maryland the answer is yes.
    Each ROUND in DC is a felony
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    gis wrote:
    cite source please?

I guess if I carry .22 snap caps it's a misdemeaner?

I wonder if they get bent out of shape for spent .22MAG casings. maybe I should take a bunch of them and sprinkle them all over the streets..(the most they can get me for is littering....)
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    gis wrote:
    In pro-crimestates like Maryland the answer is yes.

Friendly amendment.

Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

vt800c wrote:
    ed wrote:
    gis wrote:
    cite source please?

I guess if I carry .22 snap caps it's a misdemeaner?

I wonder if they get bent out of shape for spent .22MAG casings. maybe I should take a bunch of them and sprinkle them all over the streets..(the most they can get me for is littering....)
    http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/default.aspx?cite=UUID%28N57E577C030-1B11DEA7CD8-1F2617D4421%29&db=1000869&findtype=VQ& fn=_top&ifm=NotSet&pbc=4BF3FCBE&rlt=CL ID_FQRLT3637357101275&rp=%2FSearch%2Fdefault.w l&rs=WEBL10.05&service=Find&spa=DCC-1000&sr=TC&vr=2.0

DC ST § 7-2506.01
    (a) No person shall possess ammunition in the District of Columbia unless:

(1) He is a licensed dealer pursuant to subchapter IV of this unit;
    (2) He is an officer, agent, or employee of the District of Columbia or the United States of America, on duty and acting within the scope of his duties when possessing such ammunition;
    (3) He is the holder of the valid registration certificate for a firearm of the same gauge or caliber as the ammunition he possesses; except, that no such person shall possess restricted pistol bullets; or
    (4) He holds an ammunition collector's certificate on September 24, 1976.

(b) No person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm. For the purposes of this subsection, the term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

DC ST § 7-2507.06
    Any person convicted of a violation of any provision of this unit shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned for not more than 1 year, or both; except that:

(1) A person who knowingly or intentionally sells, transfers, or distributes a firearm, destructive device, or ammunition to a person under 18 years of age shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both.
    (2)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B) of this paragraph, any person who is convicted a second time for possessing an unregistered firearm shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
    (B) A person who in the person's dwelling place, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, possesses a pistol, or firearm that could otherwise be registered, shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
    (3) A person convicted of knowingly possessing restricted pistol bullets in violation of § 7-2506.01(3) may be sentenced to imprisonment for a term not to exceed 10 years and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for a mandatory-minimum term of not less than 1 year and shall not be released from prison or granted probation or suspension of sentence prior to serving the mandatory-minimum sentence, and, in addition, may be fined an amount not to exceed $10,000.

Post imported post

gis wrote:
    +1 for "legal". The underlying question is whether a loaded mag is equivalent to a loaded firearm? In Virginia the answer is no. In anti-gun states like Maryland the answer is yes.
    This is simply not true. According to the official opinion of the MD AG, a loaded magazine is NOT a firearm.

However, carrying a loaded mag in your pocket in MD will probably get you "jacked" by some LEO, even if you don't have a gun.

But under MD law, a loaded magazine is NOT a firearm. It's just a loaded magazine. For vehicle transport, it's treated the same as a box of ammo, and needs to be stored seperately from the firearm.

And since nobody in MD can get a carry permit unless they are well-connected, carrying extra mags with a firearm is not really an issue, because you can't carry in MD anyway...

But in "free" states like VA, PA, WV, or NC, you can carry as many loaded mags as you want in any manner you see fit--in belt pouches, in your pocket, in your boot, under your hat--wherever you are comfortable carrying them...

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggressionand this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

ElmerFudd703 wrote:
    It would be silly to not do so, particularly since it is legal.

Edit: Or rather, not illegal.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    It's not illegal,
    Probably a good idea.
    Welcome, ElmerFudd.

Post imported post

ElmerFudd703 wrote:
    Well Elmer, if you were a good guy why would you need an extra mag???? :^). See the bias and prejudice ...

Edit: Speaking of which I think cops should be limited to one mag too, like everyone else. We need to keep these firefights gentlemanly :^).

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Edit: Speaking of which I think cops should be limited to one mag too, like everyone else. We need to keep these firefights gentlemanly :^).
    Single shot flintlocks only :celebrate
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

I'm not worried about getting into a gunfight against cops.

I carry a spare mag for a few simple reasons:

-It helps balance out the weight from the gun on my other side
    -Magazine failures are one of the most common reasons for a gun not working properly, if I need my firearm, I need it to work properly.
    -Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it (same reason we carry a firearm in the first place, isn't it?)

Post imported post

nova wrote:

-Magazine failures are one of the most common reasons for a gun not working properly, if I need my firearm, I need it to work properly.
    -Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it (same reason we carry a firearm in the first place, isn't it?)
    Oh Nova! I was not suggesting "we" would be in firefights with the cops. Just that everyone should be limited to one magazine just to keep the firefights gentlemanly :^). Makes sense doesn't it.... :^)

Edit: I mean can you just imagine everyone running out of rounds and just having a big laugh and going home for a good night's sleep?Wouldn't that be ideal:^).

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    It's not illegal,
    Probably a good idea.
    Welcome, ElmerFudd.

Sorry, guys, I thought all further responses had to be in the form of haiku.

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    Single shot flintlocks only :celebrate
    Unless you have a nice set of dueling pistols, they are one shot primer
    fired you just don't need to ram another 'bullet' down cylinder so you can go about
    getting satisfaction without boring the seconds to death. Ramming a round in with
    a big hole in your shoulder is a real pain after the first volley.

But didn't Mass. arrest the teenager driving through for having a spent shell
    casing on a chain around his neck last fall?

NY just wrote that one, did it get signed into law? A shoot to wound in NYC
    by definition is one mag only. They use the other 50+ rounds to kill.

Post imported post

nova wrote:

-Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it
    (same reason we carry a firearm in the first place, isn't it?)
    Unless I take the time to maintain the mags every few days I find that at the range at least 2 of them will cause a malfunction.

Maintain the mags and carry extra(s) just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast