• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a extra mag.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

ElmerFudd703 wrote:
Is it illegal to carry a extra mag. In your pocket while open carring? Not that I would due to lint and debris, just a question I had.:question:
Yes you should turn yourself in for even asking about it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Elmer.

Try not to take the veterans too seriously. This is a side of Longwatch of which we were unaware. :)

I know of no law that prohibits pocket carry of a magazine.

It just has to be a copy of American Handgunner or Combat Handguns. "O" by Oprah Winfrey will get you busted every time.

:)

ElmerFudd703

imported post

Lol! Thanks for the insight, just won me a $20 bet, I guess the responsibility of carrying a firearm wasn't enough, that some buddies of mine think its "ganster" to carry extra mags in their pockets and think its perfectly legal. Maybe I should pick new friends, huh?:banghead:

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Elmer.

Try not to take the veterans too seriously. This is a side of Citizen of which we were well aware. :)

You can carry as much as you can carry.

Carry on!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO, Elmer.

Try not to take the veterans too seriously. This is a side of Citizen of which we were well aware. :)

You can carry as much as you can carry.

Carry on!
:D

Well, at least you didn't say it in haiku. :)

t33j

imported post

I carry one in my pocket all the time... even when unarmed... like today on my way into a courthouse until I remembered I had it on me.

nova

imported post

of course it's legal...this isn't California, after all. :)

curtiswr

imported post

ElmerFudd703 wrote:
Lol! Thanks for the insight, just won me a $20 bet, I guess the responsibility of carrying a firearm wasn't enough, that some buddies of mine think its "ganster" to carry extra mags in their pockets and think its perfectly legal. Maybe I should pick new friends, huh?:banghead:

It is perfectly legal. Please don't spread misinformation because of a poorly communicated joke.

gis

imported post

+1 for "legal". The underlying question is whether a loaded mag is equivalent to a loaded firearm? In Virginia the answer is no. In anti-gun states like Maryland the answer is yes. Even in some fairly free states like Ohio and Michigan it could still get you a CCW charge, albeit from an overzealous or anti-gun officer.

By the way, I carry my backup mag in my weak side pants pocket. Glock will shoot anything, lint and all. :D

vt800c

imported post

ed wrote:
gis wrote:
In anti-gun states like Maryland the answer is yes.
Each ROUND in DC is a felony

cite source please?

I guess if I carry .22 snap caps it's a misdemeaner?

I wonder if they get bent out of shape for spent .22MAG casings. maybe I should take a bunch of them and sprinkle them all over the streets..(the most they can get me for is littering....):dude:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

vt800c wrote:
ed wrote:
gis wrote:
In anti-gun states like Maryland the answer is yes.
Each ROUND in DC is a felony

cite source please?

I guess if I carry .22 snap caps it's a misdemeaner?

I wonder if they get bent out of shape for spent .22MAG casings. maybe I should take a bunch of them and sprinkle them all over the streets..(the most they can get me for is littering....):dude:
http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/default.aspx?cite=UUID%28N57E577C030-1B11DEA7CD8-1F2617D4421%29&db=1000869&findtype=VQ&fn=_top&ifm=NotSet&pbc=4BF3FCBE&rlt=CLID_FQRLT3637357101275&rp=%2FSearch%2Fdefault.wl&rs=WEBL10.05&service=Find&spa=DCC-1000&sr=TC&vr=2.0

DC ST § 7-2506.01
(a) No person shall possess ammunition in the District of Columbia unless:

(1) He is a licensed dealer pursuant to subchapter IV of this unit;
(2) He is an officer, agent, or employee of the District of Columbia or the United States of America, on duty and acting within the scope of his duties when possessing such ammunition;
(3) He is the holder of the valid registration certificate for a firearm of the same gauge or caliber as the ammunition he possesses; except, that no such person shall possess restricted pistol bullets; or
(4) He holds an ammunition collector's certificate on September 24, 1976.

(b) No person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm. For the purposes of this subsection, the term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

DC ST § 7-2507.06
Any person convicted of a violation of any provision of this unit shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned for not more than 1 year, or both; except that:

(1) A person who knowingly or intentionally sells, transfers, or distributes a firearm, destructive device, or ammunition to a person under 18 years of age shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both.
(2)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B) of this paragraph, any person who is convicted a second time for possessing an unregistered firearm shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(B) A person who in the person's dwelling place, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, possesses a pistol, or firearm that could otherwise be registered, shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(3) A person convicted of knowingly possessing restricted pistol bullets in violation of § 7-2506.01(3) may be sentenced to imprisonment for a term not to exceed 10 years and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for a mandatory-minimum term of not less than 1 year and shall not be released from prison or granted probation or suspension of sentence prior to serving the mandatory-minimum sentence, and, in addition, may be fined an amount not to exceed $10,000.

Dreamer

imported post

gis wrote:
+1 for "legal". The underlying question is whether a loaded mag is equivalent to a loaded firearm? In Virginia the answer is no. In anti-gun states like Maryland the answer is yes.

This is simply not true. According to the official opinion of the MD AG, a loaded magazine is NOT a firearm.

However, carrying a loaded mag in your pocket in MD will probably get you "jacked" by some LEO, even if you don't have a gun.

But under MD law, a loaded magazine is NOT a firearm. It's just a loaded magazine. For vehicle transport, it's treated the same as a box of ammo, and needs to be stored seperately from the firearm.

And since nobody in MD can get a carry permit unless they are well-connected, carrying extra mags with a firearm is not really an issue, because you can't carry in MD anyway...

But in "free" states like VA, PA, WV, or NC, you can carry as many loaded mags as you want in any manner you see fit--in belt pouches, in your pocket, in your boot, under your hat--wherever you are comfortable carrying them...

AbNo

imported post

ElmerFudd703 wrote:
Is it illegal to carry a extra mag. In your pocket while open carring? Not that I would due to lint and debris, just a question I had.:question:
It would be silly to not do so, particularly since it is legal. :)

Edit: Or rather, not illegal.

Neplusultra

imported post

ElmerFudd703 wrote:

Well Elmer, if you were a good guy why would you need an extra mag???? :^). See the bias and prejudice ...

Edit: Speaking of which I think cops should be limited to one mag too, like everyone else. We need to keep these firefights gentlemanly :^).