• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a extra mag.

nova

imported post

I'm not worried about getting into a gunfight against cops.

I carry a spare mag for a few simple reasons:

-It helps balance out the weight from the gun on my other side
-Magazine failures are one of the most common reasons for a gun not working properly, if I need my firearm, I need it to work properly.
-Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it (same reason we carry a firearm in the first place, isn't it?)

Neplusultra

imported post

nova wrote:

-Magazine failures are one of the most common reasons for a gun not working properly, if I need my firearm, I need it to work properly.
-Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it (same reason we carry a firearm in the first place, isn't it?)

Oh Nova! I was not suggesting "we" would be in firefights with the cops. Just that everyone should be limited to one magazine just to keep the firefights gentlemanly :^). Makes sense doesn't it.... :^)

Edit: I mean can you just imagine everyone running out of rounds and just having a big laugh and going home for a good night's sleep?Wouldn't that be ideal:^).

SlackwareRobert

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Edit: Speaking of which I think cops should be limited to one mag too, like everyone else. We need to keep these firefights gentlemanly :^).
Single shot flintlocks only :celebrate
Unless you have a nice set of dueling pistols, they are one shot primer
fired you just don't need to ram another 'bullet' down cylinder so you can go about
getting satisfaction without boring the seconds to death. Ramming a round in with
a big hole in your shoulder is a real pain after the first volley.

But didn't Mass. arrest the teenager driving through for having a spent shell
casing on a chain around his neck last fall?

NY just wrote that one, did it get signed into law? A shoot to wound in NYC
by definition is one mag only. They use the other 50+ rounds to kill.:cuss:

XDUser

imported post

nova wrote:

-Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it
(same reason we carry a firearm in the first place, isn't it?)
Unless I take the time to maintain the mags every few days I find that at the range at least 2 of them will cause a malfunction.

Maintain the mags and carry extra(s) just in case.

gis

imported post

XDUser wrote:
nova wrote:

-Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it
(same reason we carry a firearm in the first place, isn't it?)
Unless I take the time to maintain the mags every few days I find that at the range at least 2 of them will cause a malfunction.

I think that you need to buy new mags for carry and use the malfunctioning ones on the range only. It's generally a good idea to separate your range and carry mags. That said, I have carried Glocks for almost 20 years and the only mags that I had problems with are therange magswith hundreds of thousands of rounds through them, where the follower and/or the spring got worn out. My carry mags got used four times a year for qualification purposes and I still have some that are old but function flawlessly.

nova

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
nova wrote:

Oh Nova! I was not suggesting "we" would be in firefights with the cops. Just that everyone should be limited to one magazine just to keep the firefights gentlemanly :^). Makes sense doesn't it.... :^)

Edit: I mean can you just imagine everyone running out of rounds and just having a big laugh and going home for a good night's sleep?Wouldn't that be ideal:^).
Limit everyone to pellet guns instead. "Ouch you shot me! That almost broke the skin!" :p

SlackwareRobert

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
Oh hell, make it paintball only. No, better yet, NERF. The libs will still complain about the violence.
You really want to end up in gittmo when some white lint in your pocket sticks to
your reload? Those multishot nerfs would be SBR's.:lol:
Would a new nerf round with the skin still on it be banned in NJ? They don't allow
jacketed rounds.:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

XDUser wrote:

Mag failure is not an acceptable option - not even for range mags. Having to maintain/clean them every few days is IMO failure - time to replace or rebuild them.

I have never had a hickup with Cobra II 8 round mags and rebuld kits are available from Tripp Research for all standard 1911 mags. I prefer their mags to Wilson's.
http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I ALWAYS carry a spare mag for my Kimber, sometimes 2...
Where ya been? Welcome back.

Can you spare a mag brother. :p

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Thank you, Sir. Been busy with the Crumb Snatchers.

I can always spare a mag for a Brother (or Sister) in need. Sure is nice to have a pistol that is compatible with good ol' fashioned GI mags!