• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NLV OC LAWS??

700rdel2

imported post

Hi I am active duty AF so I do not have NV ID or DL I got TX but I am stationed here. Am 20 years old I bought a beretta px4 storm .40 and I want to carry it with me all the time because LV is dangerous?? What do I need To do that by the way I bought the gun from my friend?? It has a clean serial #

do I need to register it under my name?? Even if am not 21??

flagellum

imported post

21 Year old AD airman Here.

Buying it from a friend is fine, to remain lawful you should go to the nearest metro sub-station and register it. There is one about 10 minutes from base. You don't need to be 21, just 18.

You may carry it without permit OPENLY, however if you wish to conceal it at all you will need to obtain a permit(Which of course, you can't get until 21). If you have not already, I suggest you spent a good amount of time lurking the forums and you should find out a whole lot of information. There is a lot about carrying etiquette that can be found in here. Stay safe, stay respectful, and know your rights.

700rdel2

imported post

thaNk you very much I really appreciate it. Another question??? Do you know where I can buy a good holster for my beretta px4 Storm .40

gunrunner1911

imported post

If your a TX resident and carry a TX ID as such then you really have no need to register the firearm. Residents of Clark County are required to register with in 60 days of becoming a resident. Non Residents are no longer required to register their firearms with Clark County. The old 24 hr rule has been amended.

2007, 1290)

flagellum

imported post

What??? Ahh. If I would have known that I would have never registered mine. Oh well. Holster? Best bet would be online but you could try New Frontier Armory up on centennial.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

gunrunner1911 wrote:
If your a TX resident and carry a TX ID as such then you really have no need to register the firearm. Residents of Clark County are required to register with in 60 days of becoming a resident. Non Residents are no longer required to register their firearms with Clark County. The old 24 hr rule has been amended.

2007, 1290)
Is there some case law or a prosecutor's declaration clarifying the status of military types regarding this idiotic registration scheme?

A gun-hating cop / prosecutor combination could make the case that someone living in or around NAFB is "resident" in Clark County, even though their legal home is somewhere else.

Bringing me to the next question -- is there a way to get rid of the scheme in the first place? Ballot initiative, or get some grownups into the county commission, etc?

flagellum

imported post

Holy crap, that is an amazing point. It makes me wonder though, If I can buy through FFL legaly as an out of state resident (With Military Orders) could this same excpetion apply to private party sales as well? If not, it might be a good time to back pedal the first post. :what:

varminter22

imported post

DVC wrote:
Bringing me to the next question -- is there a way to get rid of the scheme in the first place? Ballot initiative, or get some grownups into the county commission, etc?
I can envisiontwo ways to get rid of the registration scheme:

(1) Convince your county commissioners/city councilmen to repeal/amend the ordinance(s)

(2) Convince our state legislature to strengthen the state preemption law - remove the handgun registration 'grandfather' clause

Ballot initiative? I don't know. Maybe that is a possibility.

I would think the county commissioners might be the best way to go.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

varminter22 wrote:
One would think....unfortunately, they've proven unwilling to budge. It doesn't help that Harry's son is the chairman of the commission. I think the only one we may have luck with is Tom Collins. The rest IMO are not going to make this happen. I've spoken with the commissioner for my district, Susan Brager, and promised her I would work toward getting her replacement elected.

I tend to think we'll have better luck with the state legislature. I think we spin the whole angle of "Clark County is ignoring your preemption law anyway. They ban guns in parks and wordsmith state law into an argument that their BAN is the way they prevent unlawful discharge." Piss off the legislature that despite the carve-out they made for registration, Clark County is doing whatever it wants anyway. Use that to have them pass stronger and clearer preemption, including losing the carve-out.

Tim

gunrunner1911

imported post

Then why when I was stationed in HI having enlisted from MA was I required to pay MA income tax and I could register my car as a non resident in HI to save a few bucks? I was registered to vote in MA also. So by using the Code I comitted voter fraud by voting in elections in a state to which I was not resdent? I also "missed" my opportunity to vote against Dan Inoye. :X

I know the difference between taxes cars votes and guns but residency is the real issue. I know it's hard to argue with US Code but look at the problems it can cause.

I would have to say there is a lot of grey area here when it comes to military members. When it comes toA your nota resident when it comes to B you are when it comes down to C and D WHO THE HELL KNOWS!

Register your guns. :(

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

timf343 wrote:
varminter22 wrote:
One would think....unfortunately, they've proven unwilling to budge. It doesn't help that Harry's son is the chairman of the commission.
Gee, up here in the north, we are getting radio ads bragging about how pro-gun Hairy is . . .if they have open mike night at CC meetings, you might mention this . . .

Nevada carrier

imported post

DVC wrote:
Is there some case law or a prosecutor's declaration clarifying the status of military types regarding this idiotic registration scheme?

If you are stationed on a military installation, You are allowed to change your state of residence only if you intend to remain a resident of that state after your term of service expires. This is to prevent people whose "Home of Record," the state and city they resided in at the time of enlistment, is in a state which has a state income tax from evading that state's income tax.

The Department of Defense has regulations on it. I suggest you go to your installation's legal office. Unless your duty station is a reserve station or armory, you should have a Staff Judge Advocate who can answer your questions. You are allowed to reside in Nevada while you are stationed here and retain your out of state residency, even if you are billeted off post. For instance, you can continue to drive your car registered out of state and retain your out of state driver's license.

Once again ask you installation's SJA.

Please read the information contained on the DD Form 2058 here;

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2058.pdf

Important Bullets to take note of from the regulation

• The Act further provides that no change in your State of legal residence/domicile will
    occur solely as a result of your being ordered to a new duty station.
  • The formula for changing your State of legal residence/domicile is simply stated as follows: physical presence in the new State with
    the simultaneous intent of making it your permanent home and abandonment of the old State of legal residence/domicile.
    In most cases, you must actually reside in the new State at the time you form the intent to make it your permanent home. Such intent
    must be clearly indicated. Your intent to make the new State your permanent home may be indicated by certain actions such as: (1)
    registering to vote; (2) purchasing residential property or an unimproved residential lot; (3) titling and registering your
    automobile(s); (4) notifying the State of your previous legal residence/domicile of the change in your State of legal
    residence/domicile; and (5) preparing a new last will and testament which indicates your new State of legal residence/domicile.
    Finally, you must comply with the applicable tax laws of the State which is your new legal residence/domicile.

Nevada carrier

imported post

well, it would seem you are right. It does make the residency issue that much more convoluted however. On one hand you're a resident of one place, and for the prepossess of something else your a resident of the state where your assigned.

In the computer programming industry, we call this spaghetti code. When the law becomes like a plate of spaghetti, requiring a law degree just to buy a firearm, something isn't right.

Police officers who are charged with deciding whether someone is going to jail or if they will just get a court date don't have law degrees. It's unfortunate that this kind of thing can get people locked up until someone with an intimate knowledge of where the noodle starts and where it ends and all the twists and turns in between can have a look at the situation.

I'm not say'in, I'm just say'in.