• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does everyone think

cabman1

imported post

thinking about using this as a banner for memorial day parade !I would also like the veteran's to chime in on what they think no bashing please!!!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

cabman1 wrote:
thinking about using this as a banner for memorial day parade !I would also like the veteran's to chime in on what they think no bashing please!!!

My comment is the lettering style may be hard to read as you walk by on the street. Otherwise I like the wording and the MOC logo.

fozzy71

imported post

I do some graphics design work on the side and I agree with Brian. The font is nice looking, but it should be a bit more plain and bold so it is easy to read, quickly, as it is bumping up and down as you walk. I might also suggest the MOC logo and lettering be a bit bigger and easier to read as well. You certainly want to make sure they know who you/we are.

lapeer20m

imported post

It is a nice banner, but i believe it is in violation of the US flag code.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

Michigander

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:

There are 2 schools of thought on it. Back in the Vietnam era, chopping up and wearing the flag or otherwise doing silly or artistic things with red white and blue was considered an act of defiance and protest to the percieved misdeads of the US government. At least that's my understanding, for what it's worth as a 24 year old.

But now, it is considered patriotic by many to use red white and blue and the shape of the flag for artistic things and for clothing.

Personally, I tend to look at it traditionally and agree with youbecause of being a Scout for most of my youth. But there are still 2 ways you can look at it. :?

ElectricianLU58

imported post

cabman, i think it looks pretty nice. i agree wholeheartedly about the font being not the best for a moving banner. you are definitely on the right track.

as far as the flag code goes... well, i am not going to freak out or even comment if i am somewhere that has flags on the napkins or if someone has a flag in his t-shirt silkscreen design. i love the flag, but i think times have changed.

i folded that flag every day for years in the AAA safety patrol (i was captain the last year i was in)

michigander, i attained the eagle scout rank in '91. i spent my youth in scouts as well, and i do not regret a minute of it.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Sad to say that in today's society anything that takes longer than about 3 seconds to read and absorb the meaning of.... will mostly just be ignored.

Cabman1's banner is something that would look most excellent gracing a garage door where neighbors could look at it many times and it would eventually sink in causing much thought (hey, I can hope can't I?).... but, my opinion only, in the venue of a parade where folks are there to be entertained and not have to think ...

any message would need to be glaringly obvious without a busy background, short, quickly and easily read, and direct to the point for it to have any impact.

I love our Flag... we fly one at home with pride. I'm not knocking the flag background... but perhaps the Flag could be carried all by itself in front of the banner and the message will still be heard.

But then... those are just my thoughts.

cabman1

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Sad to say that in today's society anything that takes longer than about 3 seconds to read and absorb the meaning of.... will mostly just be ignored.

Cabman1's banner is something that would look most excellent gracing a garage door where neighbors could look at it many times and it would eventually sink in causing much thought (hey, I can hope can't I?).... but, my opinion only, in the venue of a parade where folks are there to be entertained and not have to think ...

any message would need to be glaringly obvious without a busy background, short, quickly and easily read, and direct to the point for it to have any impact.

I love our Flag... we fly one at home with pride. I'm not knocking the flag background... but perhaps the Flag could be carried all by itself in front of the banner and the message will still be heard.

But then... those are just my thoughts.

I fully understand your thought

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

How about moving the images and text below the flag so they are not perceived as being attached to it, nor putting the importance of ourcolors behind anything else. The banner itself is definitely not disposable, as it would be used many, many times as long as it remains in serviceable condition.

This might make it a bit difficult for the artist though as it may throw the proportions of the dimensions out of whack.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Michigander wrote:
lapeer20m wrote:

There are 2 schools of thought on it. Back in the Vietnam era, chopping up and wearing the flag or otherwise doing silly or artistic things with red white and blue was considered an act of defiance and protest to the percieved misdeads of the US government. At least that's my understanding, for what it's worth as a 24 year old.

But now, it is considered patriotic by many to use red white and blue and the shape of the flag for artistic things and for clothing.

Personally, I tend to look at it traditionally and agree with youbecause of being a Scout for most of my youth. But there are still 2 ways you can look at it. :?
Me too.

jhow1nm2

imported post

Lapeer20m,

I just read the code. You misquoted the text. It reads in whole:
'Use of flag for advertising purposes; mutilation of flag Any person who, within the District of Columbia, in any manner, for exhibition or display, shall place or cause to be placed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, drawing, or any advertisement of any nature upon any flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America; or shall expose or cause to be exposed to public view any such flag, standard, colors, or ensign upon which shall have been printed, painted, or otherwise placed, or to which shall be attached, appended, affixed, or annexed any word, figure, mark, picture, design, or drawing, or any advertisement of any nature; or who, within the District of Columbia,....

for most of us, this part of the code's restriction would not apply.

anetsprungen

Assyria Township, Barry County, Michigan, USA
imported post

cabman,

As a Vietnam Era veteran, my initial observation is the font, too. I believe it should be sans-serif, as it would be hard to read while being carried. However, I am also a traditionalist regarding the flag. There should never be anything obstructing it. The flag is what it is. If there is a way to raise it above the text, or maybe doubling the height of the banner, I would be much more satisfied and content.

I also believe the MOC logo is just right. The shield identifies who we are, not the words. We do not want to risk advertising, but we do want to give people a clue as to who we are, and perhaps prompt them to ask questions after, by inducing curiosity.

IMO, there is a subtle, but defining distinction between soliciting interest and overtly advertising.

Thank you for presenting this banner.

Roy
:cool: