• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

November 2010 Wisconsin State Election / Candidate Guide

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

We all know the Governor's race is on the ticket in the fall. Major news media lets us know that daily. But hundreds of State Senate and State Representative Races will be on the November Ballot as well. IS YOUR STATE REP OR STATE SENATOR UP FOR ELECTION IN THE FALL?

Here is a listing of all the races statewide:

http://elections.state.wi.us/docview.asp?docid=18214&locid=47

While Wisconsin's Governor DOES have line-item veto power, legislation is not written by the governor, rather he signs or veto's whatever comes to his desk. Legislation is written by YOUR LOCAL state representatives and state senators The specific of what kind of Conceal Carry bill gets introduced, (or if the current conceal carry ban gets removed) whether a CC bill requires mandatory training, whether it requires a permit, ALL of those specifics will be written by your local State Assembly Persons and local State Senators.

In addition the Governor is part of the executive branch. There are 5,654,774 people that live in Wisconsin. With 1 governor for 5,654,774 people, your odds of having your individual voice heard by the governor and correspondingly legitimate governor candidates is slim to none. Another reason why, combined with the fact that the governor does not write legislation, your local state representatives and state senators do, if you want to have your voice heard and be most effective, your local state representative and senator races are where you should be focusing MOST of your energy. The candidates for these local state representative and state senate races serve MUCH smaller constituencies. These candidates are often elected with just a couple thousand votes, not hundreds of thousands of votes (or millions of votes) like governors are. Your local state reps and state sentators and candidates for those offices DO have the time and purpose to individually respond to YOU as an individual voter. This is where you can make a difference. Take advantage of the representative system of government we have.

IN ADDITION, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE GENERAL ELECTION TO FIND A CANDIDATE WHO SUPPORTS YOUR FREEDOM AND RIGHTS-MINDED POSITIONS. In the primary elections there are often multiple candidates vying for their party spot on the ticket in the general elections. These candidates often have widely varying views. THE PRIMARY ELECTION IS SEPTEMBER 14, 2010.

If you don't know what district you are in or if your state senator and/or state representative from your district is up for election in the fall here are a few tools.

Step 1
First, find your legislative district and current legislators using the following link:

http://www.legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

Note your state senate district and state assembly district

Step 2
Next look at this link to see if your State Assembly Rep and state senators are up for election in the fall

http://elections.state.wi.us/docview.asp?docid=18214&locid=47

Step 3
If either your state senate district OR state assembly district is up for election in the fall use the link below to find out EVERY candidate (name address and party affiliation) who has officially thrown their hat in the ring.(note, list is updated frequently (weekly) as candidates have until Mid-July to register with the state to run in the primary. Keep checking back for new candidates)

http://elections.state.wi.us/docview.asp?docid=16754&locid=47

Step 4
Now you know your local reps who are up for election and ALL the people running for their seats. A google search of their name and office they are running for should net a candidates website and contact information. CONTACT these candidates and discuss their specific views on the issues. SHARE YOUR SPECIFIC VIEWS on what you want to see (or not see) in the next legislative session. When you find the candidate who supports your views, ADVOCATE for them amongst your friends, family, co-workers, AND ON THIS FORUM. Remember, these local reps are elected with sometimes just a few thousand (or a few hundred) votes. YOU CAN EASILY sway your district state assembly or state senate race by word of mouth.

We all know internet forums can be a place for useless banter and bickering, but they can also be a place to share a tremendous amount of information and really make a difference.

I challenge everyone here to make THIS thread the most informative thread in the Wisconsin forum for the upcoming fall primary and general election in Wisconsin.

Find your districts, find out if your district has elections for state assembly and state senate. Find out who's the incumbent. Find out who is running in the primary.

Research those people. CONTACT them and share your views.

[colr=red]COME BACK HERE and post the questions you asked and the answers you got so that others IN your district and know who's running and what their positions are and those outside your district and see what kinds of questions you posed and what kinds of responses were gathered. [/color]

EVEN if you don't get positive feedback regarding your positions, your polite calls and letters and conversations with these candidates will let them know where their constituents stand on an issue.

For more information on the upcoming Wisconsin Fall Election Cycle visit the Wisconsin Government Accountability Website. Vast amount of election information located here:

http://elections.state.wi.us/

Lastly, never hurts to share your membership in Wisconsin Carry with these potential candidates. Let them know you are part of an organized movement that supports all carry-rights in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I'll use myself as an example. I live in New Berlin which is the 84th Assembly District and the 28th Senate District.

My current Assemblyman is Mark Gundrum, He's not running for re-election for Assembly (he ran and was elected a judge) so according to the link in step 3, SO FAR (and there could be more by the July deadline) 2 people have thrown their hat in the ring for his seat:

John Marek
W236 S4526 Whispering Hills Ct
New Berlin, WI

Dave Swarthout
14150 W. North Oak Court
New Berlin, WI

Both are republicans. (so far no democratic challenger in the 84th... not surprising, New Berlin is VERY conservative.) As such, its going to be critically important that I vote in the primary because whomever makes the general election will probably be unopposed.

I will be contacting both John and Dave and I'll report back what they say in regards to carry issues.

found this article on the 2 candidates:

http://activepaper.olivesoftware.co...MDExMA==&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom

Two file papers for Rep. Mark Gundrum’s seat
More Republicans expected to jump into race
By Joe Petrie Freeman Staff

WAUKESHA – Just one week after state Rep. Mark Gundrum, R-New Berlin, was elected to serve as a Waukesha County Circuit Court judge, interest in succeeding him has begun to rise in the Republican Party.

Two 84th Assembly District residents have filed papers with the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board to run as Republicans to replace Gundrum.

The two residents who have filed papers are Dave Swarthout of New Berlin and John Marek of the town of Waukesha. And according to Republican leaders, they are not expected to be the last ones to file.

“I expect there to be several candidates there,” said Don Taylor, chairman of the Waukesha County Republican Party. “That’s a good, solid Republican seat and Mark Gundrum has performed very well and made it respected.”

Swarthout, 63, who owns a barbershop in Milwaukee, said he has been active in the Waukesha County Republican Party for the past several years and decided to run after people from within the party approached and urged him. He said he spoke to Gundrum prior to Tuesday’s election and gave his word he wouldn’t campaign until after the race.

Swarthout said he is someone who believes in less government intrusion in people’s lives, lower taxes and a government that works for the people, not the other way around. He also has a campaign slogan saying that government should conduct their business like everyone else.

“I’m just a down to earth, very conservative, common sense type of guy,” he said. “I believe the Republican Party is the best party if it gets back to its principles.”

Marek was the first person to file papers in the 84th Assembly District race and, according to a campaign finance report he field with the GAB in January, he gave his campaign a $150,000 loan in December.

The Freeman was unable to reach Marek by press time.

The Republican race is the latest in a glut of primaries the party in facing in Waukesha County. According to the GAB, four Republicans are vying for the 14th Assembly District seat, which is being abandoned by state Rep. Leah Vukmir, R-Wauwatosa, who is challenging state Sen. Jim Sullivan, D-Wauwatosa, in the 5th Senate District race. Also, state Rep. Rich Zipperer, R-City of Pewaukee, is facing off against candidate Tim Dietrich in the 33rd Senate District Republican primary. A primary is expected to replace Zipperer in the 98th Assembly District seat and state Rep. Scott Newcomer, R-town of Delafield, is being challenged by Delafield realtor Joe DeKlotz, Delafield businessman Chris Kapenga and Waukesha County Technical College Associate Dean Brian Dorow.

“We’ve got more contested seats than ever before in my time as county chairman,” Taylor said. “It’s exciting time to be alive and a part of it.”

Only "odd" numbered State Senate district seats are up for election this fall, so my state senator "Mary Lazich" Senator for the 28th Senate District is not up for election. Consequently, I have still taken the opportunity to meet with Mary in person this past winter to discuss her positions on the carry issue, open-carry, and also share with her what were (at the time) plans to incorporate Wisconsin Carry (which is now incorporated and off and running like gang-busters. I also shared with her the petition that had been signed by over 2000 people to repeal the GFSZ ban and vehicle carry ban.

I will be meeting with Mary again this fall to discuss more specifics of what I'd like to see in the next legislative session with regards to carry issues, share with her the explosive growth of Wisconsin Carry. The GFSZ lawsuit and other issues pertaining to carry rights in Wisconsin.

Edited to add:

Found a website for Dave Swarthout.

http://www.swarthoutforassembly.com

According to the website the only reference to gun issues is that he's an NRA member. So that tells me he's PRO GUN, but is he PRO RIGHTS???? I'll let you know what I find out.

metalman383

imported post

Tom Larson is running for the 67th assembly. He has been my neighbor, my whole life. His daughter used to baby sit me,during thesummer. He stopped at my house and talked to me for about an hour. I found his views to be right in line with mine. He has attended Tea Parties, and will be speaking at the Eau Claire Open Carry Picnic, (while wearing his Desert Eagle). I think he would defenitely worth looking at if he is in your district.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

metalman383 wrote:
He has attended Tea Parties, and will be speaking at the Eau Claire Open Carry Picnic, (while wearing his Desert Eagle).  I think he would defenitely worth looking at if he is in your district.

Great information! When someone is OC'ing you don't have to speculate on how they stand on the carry issue!!!!

Captain Nemo

imported post

I'm not an NRA member so I don't know if this is a good question but I understand the NRA has a grading system for political candidates. Does anyone know if it has graded the Wisconsin candidates?

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

Captain Nemo wrote:
I'm not an NRA member so I don't know if this is a good question but I understand the NRA has a grading system for political candidates. Does anyone know if it has graded the Wisconsin candidates?
It is my understanding that the grade is based offthevoting record of apolitician, meaning they must have already servedelected office.The better the grade, the closer the politician's voting record matches the NRA's agenda.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I received an email back from Dave Swarthout and will be meeting with him to discuss his positions on carry-rights in Wisconsin. I'll report back as soon as I have a chance to meet with him.

Would be great to hear some stories of people contacting their candidates as well. Many people here express a desire to have "constitution carry" in Wisconsin and a willingness to take action to make that happen. Don't be "all internet talk", take the opportunity to make a difference.

I submit a few minutes of your time to see who's running in your district and send them a letter, email, or if you are really committed, set up a meeting is the single best thing you can do to get "real" right to carry (concealed) in Wi.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Jim Mass, Libertarian Candidate for the 85th Assembly District which includes Wausau and surrounding areas has forwarded me a link to his website:

http://www.message2madison.info/

If you live in the 85th Assembly district, don't hesitate to contact Jim and share your views on carry-rights in Wisconsin I'm confident you'll be pleased with his positions.

Carry On.

AdamXD

imported post

Having just moved from AZ to WI, how do I go about being able to vote here in Milwaukee? Do I just need to head to the DMV and get a WI license? Or are there more steps required?

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

No problem, when you find out your assembly district and senate district, make sure to research the candidates running, contact the ones that appear pro-gun and post up any information you get here.

Also, if you find they have websites or other methods of contact (email etc) post those here so others in your district and use that info to contact those candidates also.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

If you live in New Berlin or Hales Corners (Wisconsin State Assembly 84th District)

Dave Swarthout, Republican Candidate for Wisconsin State Assembly 84th District (New Berlin, Hales Corners) will be meeting me at my house in New Berlin to discuss his positions on carry-rights issues in Wisconsin (and any other issues people would like to discuss) at 4:30pm on Friday June 4th.

If you would like to attend, please send me an email

nik@wisconsincarry.org

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

So far this is what I have found out about the election from the Whitewater viewpoint:

Russell 'Russ' D. Feingold Democrat
US Senator for Wisconsin
Gun groups rate him from "D" to "F-"
People registered as running for the office:

Terrence Wall
57 Cambridge Road
Maple Bluff, WI 53704
Republican

Dave Westlake
801 Belmont Drive
Watertown, WI 53094
Republican

Michael D. LaForest
4470 West Sumac Place
Milwaukee, WI 53219
Independent

Rob Taylor
1720 Third Avenue
Cumberland, WI 54829
Independent

Timothy Weibel
415 East Davlin Street
Gillman, WI 54433
Independent

Paul D. Ryan Republican
US Representative for Wisconsin district 1
"A" rating from gun groups.

Judith 'Judy' Bires Robson Democrat
State Senator for Wisconsin district 15
My state senator and as anti-gun as they come. Straight "F" from the gun groups.
People registered as running for the office:

Tim Cullen
3711 N. Spring Hill Drive
Janesville, WI 53545
Democrat

Rick Richard
2625 W US HWY 14
Janesville, WI 53545
Republican

Dave

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

Rick Richard must be our own rickrich from this forum. He open carried with us for the highway clean up last year and did the paperwork for our stretch of road. I know he is running this year.

blaze

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Hereare the state level candidates for Madison as of 5/26/10:

State Senate District 27-

Jon Erpenbach

Thomas W. Lamberson

Kurt Schlicht

Tony Wickerson

Jonathan Haus

State Assmbly District 79 -

Sondy Pope-Roberts

Thomas Clauder

Carl G. Skalitzky

I am putting together an email that they will all get, addressed individually of course (and don't forget that spell check!). We'll see what comes back.

Edit: I could only find email for Jonathan Haus, Tony wickersham and both incumbents.