• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Challenging State Laws regarding the carry of firearms pre McDonald ruling ?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I assume that McDonald will State as heller than the right to keep and bear arms is individual and in addition that States must recognize that right. So when are they going to decide what are prohibited or sensativeplaces and what types of regulations are acceptable? For example can you carry in a church, playground, street, car, or public transportation? Will open carry be required in the States and only concealed carry regulated? Will the States have to issue permits where someone is out on bond? Will States be able to pick and choose who will receive permits to carry? Will back ground checks still be required?

I was curious because I have a gun rights lawsuit pending against the State of Tennessee and wondering how McDonald may affect it. I assume that McDonald will be decided by June or July. My case probably won't go to trial for some time.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
The individual states will have to fall one state's case at a time, each one requiring a good case. It will not be quick or pretty.
There are at least two cases in Tennessee challenging the constitutionality of the laws as written both have been filed within the last few weeks. I assume both will be heard after McDonald. Is there a list somewhere of many lawsuits involving gunrights across the country? If not, why not?

Dreamer

imported post

Perhaps you should contact NRA-ILA:

https://secure.nraila.org/Contact.aspx

or Alan Gura (the lead attorney on Heller and McDonald):

http://www.gurapossessky.com/contact/

If there would be ANY place that would have such a list, it would be these two...

But my guess is neither would be willing to help you. You're white, young, and you have a record with your home state as a 'trouble maker" (I'm not passing judgment, just stating facts). They prefer to choose plaintiffs who are much more "squeaky clean", and sympathetic to the public and the Courts, like Dick Heller (a 40-year resident of DC, and a private security guard) or Otis McDonald (a retired African American man, with a squeaky-clean record, and the victim of violent crimes)

Unfortunately, you just aren't the kind of "sympathetic plaintiff" that Gura or the NRA-ILA are looking for. And KY is not really high on the list of states with "oppressive gun laws". There are MUCH bigger fish to fry on this issue, like IL, WI, NY, CT, MA, CA and DC...

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Perhaps you should contact NRA-ILA:

https://secure.nraila.org/Contact.aspx

or Alan Gura (the lead attorney on Heller and McDonald):

http://www.gurapossessky.com/contact/

If there would be ANY place that would have such a list, it would be these two...

But my guess is neither would be willing to help you. You're white, young, and you have a record with your home state as a 'trouble maker" (I'm not passing judgment, just stating facts). They prefer to choose plaintiffs who are much more "squeaky clean", and sympathetic to the public and the Courts, like Dick Heller (a 40-year resident of DC, and a private security guard) or Otis McDonald (a retired African American man, with a squeaky-clean record, and the victim of violent crimes)

Unfortunately, you just aren't the kind of "sympathetic plaintiff" that Gura or the NRA-ILA are looking for. And KY is not really high on the list of states with "oppressive gun laws". There are MUCH bigger fish to fry on this issue, like IL, WI, NY, CT, MA, CA and DC...
I'm just looking for a list.