• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Michigan State Parks

imported post

My girlfriend and I are going camping in Leelanau this weekend. I haven't received my CPL yet, but was wondering if anyone had any idea if Michigan's open carry law also applied to the State Parks (DNR)?

Thanks.

imported post

[align=left]And if it's legal to open carry in a Michigan State Park, can I transport it there? Would transporting a pistol to a State Park be considered "lawful"? [/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]750.231a
A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is[/align]

[align=left]the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle[/align]

[align=left]does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the[/align]

[align=left]occupants of the vehicle.[/align]

[align=left]A 'lawful purpose' includes:[/align]

[align=left]
While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.[/align]

[align=left]
While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.[/align]

[align=left]
While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.[/align]

[align=left]
While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety[/align]

[align=left]inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.[/align]

[align=left]
While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.[/align]

[align=left]
While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.[/align]

[align=left]
While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule,[/align]
regulation, or local ordinance.

maustin195

imported post

123456 wrote:

[align=left]And if it's legal to open carry in a Michigan State Park, can I transport it there? Would transporting a pistol to a State Park be considered "lawful"? [/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]750.231a
A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is[/align]

[align=left]the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle[/align]

[align=left]does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the[/align]

[align=left]occupants of the vehicle.[/align]

[align=left]A 'lawful purpose' includes:[/align]

[align=left]
While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.[/align]

[align=left]
While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.[/align]

[align=left]
While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.[/align]

[align=left]
While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety[/align]

[align=left]inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.[/align]

[align=left]
While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.[/align]

[align=left]
While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.[/align]

[align=left]
While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule,[/align]
regulation, or local ordinance.

A key to your post is that the examples" includes" but is not limited to what is listed. As open carry is a "lawful activity" I don't see a reason that transportation in that manneris illegal.

kryptonian

imported post

i got stopped by police in island lake state park on sunday. i did have CPL and was open carrying. driving open carry is considered concealed. was not an issue. read the signs when you go. just says no target shooting.

Haman J.T.

imported post

In the DNR Hunting handbook under "License Reqirement-Possession of Firearms and Bows and Arrows", second paragraph,it states "A hunting license is not required when target practicing or sighting-in a firearm at an identifiable,artificially constructed target,and there is no attempt to take game.A hunting license is not required for the carrying of a pistol for personal protection by a camper,hiker or person engaged in other recreational activities if there is no attempt to take game.I carry this in my wallet always!