• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If budgets are bare...what's a citizen to do?

amzbrady

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
If your that concerned with security and being cheap, for just over 200 Mossberg has your solution. I may be a snob, but you won't find a high point in my gun safe. They actually recommend in the manual that you do not clean the firearm other than just the barrell, and you can not take it apart without a punch. You honestly get what you pay for when it comes to firearms.
Highpoint has a "No questions asked warranty". Only thing I dont like about high point is the lack of accessories, like high cap mags. Just cause it doesnt cost as much as others, it doesnt have the bling, and is not easy to tear down, doesnt mean it's not reliable. Every round I've ever put in it has fired.

killchain

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Jayd1981 wrote:
If your that concerned with security and being cheap, for just over 200 Mossberg has your solution. I may be a snob, but you won't find a high point in my gun safe. They actually recommend in the manual that you do not clean the firearm other than just the barrell, and you can not take it apart without a punch. You honestly get what you pay for when it comes to firearms.
Highpoint has a "No questions asked warranty". Only thing I dont like about high point is the lack of accessories, like high cap mags. Just cause it doesnt cost as much as others, it doesnt have the bling, and is not easy to tear down, doesnt mean it's not reliable. Every round I've ever put in it has fired.
Then there's the dirty little secret of every single 1911 series pistol.

Cleaning it.

Really, trying to reassemble one of those is a CURSE.

Metalhead47

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
Mossy 500s are even bulkier than HPs for OC/CC ;)

Where did you see that in the manual? Mine says clean the barrel every 300-400 rounds, complete tear-down & clean (instructions included) every 1500-2000. And again I'll point to the venerable AK & say the cliche about getting what you pay for is just that, a cliche. There are bargains to be had out there. Out of the box, I'll put my HPs up against any other sidearm in terms of reliability & accuracy. Aesthetics, now that's another matter :what:

My Tanfoglio Match is a beautiful little tack driver, elegant, shiny, and with all the inherent class of an all-steel gun. It's my primary carry sidearm. But when I need to grab something quick to run up the street to the store, or need to conceal, I reach for my HP 9mm. I've only got 300 or 400 rounds thru the Tanfoglio at this point, our two HP 9's have a couple thousand thru each without a single malfunction other than user error. They're easy enough to tear down, and once stripped they're built like AK's: simple, robust, functional, ugly. No real need to do much more than take the slide off, run a brush thru the barrel & hit the guts with a spray cleaner. The TF is more involved there too. And if it ever breaks, if I leave it in a tub of salt water & acid for a year, HP will repair or replace it no questions, no charge, & throw in a couple of magazines as well. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.:celebrate

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Dave Workman

imported post

Gents, I am gratified and impressed by your reactions here.

YOU guys understood what I was writing about, but over on The High Road, one of the moderators decided this column wasn't "gun related."

Take a look:

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=418334

Obviously, people here understand what they are reading;

:banghead:

;)

69Charger

imported post

I will live or die with my Colt 1911. (in a close range situation)
Of all the Departments to cut $ from, they pick on Law enforcement and schools. WTF.
Are these scare tactics aimed at the public?:X Why, Why, Why. :(
JMHO
Dave

oneeyeross

imported post

killchain wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Jayd1981 wrote:
Then there's the dirty little secret of every single 1911 series pistol.

Cleaning it.

Really, trying to reassemble one of those is a CURSE.
Really? I learned how in Basic Armor Crewman school, Ft. Knox, KY back in '74. Can still do it, in the dark, stripped and back together in less than 4 minutes....(I've slowed down, doubled my time)....what's the hassle? Ok, it ain't a Makarov, but it's still GI easy....

Nosrac

imported post

The 1911 is a curse to reassemble?

That is surprising as it is extremely simple. The only potential issue is getting the disconnector and sear to line up buteven that isn't all that hard.

daddy4count

imported post

My first handgun ever in life was a 1911... I enjoyed the breakdown.

It isn't complicated at all... and I am probably one of the most mechanically deficient people you will ever meet.

:p

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

[size="+1"]Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia --- Crime Rate Plummets[/size]

by Chuck Baldwin The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes.
The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982.
And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998.
With all the attention that has been heaped upon the lawful possession of firearms lately, you would think that a city that requires gun ownership would be the center of a media feeding frenzy. It isn't. The fact is I can't remember a major media outlet even mentioning Kennesaw. Can you?
The reason is obvious. Kennesaw proves that the presence of firearms actually improves safety and security. This is not the message that the media want us to hear. They want us to believe that guns are evil and are the cause of violence.
The facts tell a different story. What is even more interesting about Kennesaw is that the city's crime rate decreased with the simple knowledge that the entire community was armed. The bad guys didn't force the residents to prove it. Just knowing that residents were armed prompted them to move on to easier targets. Most criminals don't have a death wish.
There have been two occasions in my own family when the presence of a handgun averted potential disaster. In both instances the gun was never aimed at a person and no shot was fired.

25 Years Later, "Gun Town USA" Continues to Maintains Exceptionally Low Crime Stats
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/738709/firearm_ownership_is_mandatory_for.html

We need only a bare bones sheriff dept and 25% of citizens willing to deputize when the Sheriff needs more help.

Just like we don't need professional fire departments, we also don't need professional police. We just need to renew our commitment to our communities and become stronger at protecting ourselves.

Aaron1124

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
[size="+1"]Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia --- Crime Rate Plummets[/size]

by Chuck Baldwin The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes.
The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982.
And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998.
With all the attention that has been heaped upon the lawful possession of firearms lately, you would think that a city that requires gun ownership would be the center of a media feeding frenzy. It isn't. The fact is I can't remember a major media outlet even mentioning Kennesaw. Can you?
The reason is obvious. Kennesaw proves that the presence of firearms actually improves safety and security. This is not the message that the media want us to hear. They want us to believe that guns are evil and are the cause of violence.
The facts tell a different story. What is even more interesting about Kennesaw is that the city's crime rate decreased with the simple knowledge that the entire community was armed. The bad guys didn't force the residents to prove it. Just knowing that residents were armed prompted them to move on to easier targets. Most criminals don't have a death wish.
There have been two occasions in my own family when the presence of a handgun averted potential disaster. In both instances the gun was never aimed at a person and no shot was fired.

25 Years Later, "Gun Town USA" Continues to Maintains Exceptionally Low Crime Stats
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/738709/firearm_ownership_is_mandatory_for.html

We need only a bare bones sheriff dept and 25% of citizens willing to deputize when the Sheriff needs more help.

Just like we don't need professional fire departments, we also don't need professional police. We just need to renew our commitment to our communities and become stronger at protecting ourselves.
I wouldn't have a problem with that if people actually did it.

Metalhead47

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:

[/quote]

dude I'm gonna butt heads with you on that one. An all-volunteer fire dept might work for a small town out in the styx like where my wife grew up (her dad's the volunteer fire cheif there), but there's no way that could work in a major city like Seattle or even Lynnwood. The technical knowledge & training requirements are simply too great in an urban fire dept for a bunch of amateurs. The amount and cost of training, not to mention the need for moment's notice dispatch from the fire station, demands a professional staff. The same can be said for an urban/suburban police force. A large, complex society needs a certain amount of essential gov't services & regulation, and larger & more complex that society, the more it needs. Which is not to excuse the gross overreach of the current federal & local gov'ts, but SOME government is required. Now if we eliminated public education & social programs, there'd be more than enough left to fund proper fire & police depts, with a huge tax break to boot.

Aaron1124

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

"dude I'm gonna butt heads with you on that one. An all-volunteer fire dept might work for a small town out in the styx like where my wife grew up (her dad's the volunteer fire cheif there), but there's no way that could work in a major city like Seattle or even Lynnwood. The technical knowledge & training requirements are simply too great in an urban fire dept for a bunch of amateurs. The amount and cost of training, not to mention the need for moment's notice dispatch from the fire station, demands a professional staff. The same can be said for an urban/suburban police force. A large, complex society needs a certain amount of essential gov't services & regulation, and larger & more complex that society, the more it needs. Which is not to excuse the gross overreach of the current federal & local gov'ts, but SOME government is required. Now if we eliminated public education & social programs, there'd be more than enough left to fund proper fire & police depts, with a huge tax break to boot."

I'm talking about small towns that cannot afford their own police department. It would save a lot of money, even for the ones who contract with the sheriff's department.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

The numbers don't much up though, the amount we spend compared to the housesand lives saved (most are demo'd after a fire anyway) are just not even close.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:

YOU guys understood what I was writing about, but over on The High Road, one of the moderators decided this column wasn't "gun related."

Take a look:

;)
Wow, how goofy.

Dave Workman

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:

Take a look:

;)
Wow, how goofy.

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Well, TODAY's column is about a murder in Chicago that underscores the bankruptcy of that city's handgun ban.

And TheHighRoaders aren't getting that one from me, thanks to one moderator....

Metalhead47

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Show me where its cost effective more than a feel good measure.

How many houses are saves? How much do we spend in our communities?

Dude, do you really need it pointed out to you how many lives are saved, not to mention property, by professional city fire depts? Just keeping a fire from spreading saves the buildings around it.

And house fires are just part of what they do. They also deal with industrial fires with all sorts of hazmat & flammibles & things that don't react well to water. Would you really want a bunch of part-timers putting out a fire like the one at the Anacortes refinery not too long ago? I'll have to get my wife to chime in on this one later & let you have it from the fire chief's daughter. :p

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Hmmm yet you stated about a rural setting.

You asked for a cite and I'm asking for one back.since you made the assertion. First its only fair.

The problem with beauracracy even good ones like LEO and police they become a tax burden and continue to grow. Ask the one non inion firestation here in Bham why they are excluded out of the new "fire conglomerate" yet the folks in their district had their taxes raised for it.

Refineries should have their own response teams, specialized for that type of fire.