• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tennessee Nurse David Blackwell sues for gun rights

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I'll go down to Chancery Court this week and get a copy of the petition.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=12403014

NASHVILLE (AP) - A registered nurse, who was pardoned of a felony drug conviction, has filed a lawsuit against state officials in an effort to win back his gun rights.
The suit filed Thursday says the state of Tennessee is ignoring the Second Amendment rights of anyone who's given a pardon that also restores gun rights. It is asking a judge to stop the state from denying the gun rights of people given these special types of pardons.
David Scott Blackwell of Franklin, Tennessee, was sentenced to five years in prison in 1989 after being convicted of selling cocaine in Gwinnett County, Ga.
He was pardoned by the state of Georgia.
Tennessee law forbids anyone convicted of a violent crime or a felony drug charge from legally possessing a firearm. Federal law also bars felons from having a gun.

http://countusout.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/convicted-felon-david-scott-blackwell-sues-state-over-right-to-bear-arms/

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=120358&catid=2

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100502/NEWS01/5020367/Pardoned-man-sues-TN-to-legally-possess-firearms

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/breaking/nurse-sues-tenn-governor-to-win-back-gun-rights-92449919.html

Chancery Court Davidson County
615-862-5710 file room for copies
Historic court house
3rd and James Robertson pkwy

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

edited links

db1.jpg

db2.jpg

db3.jpg

db4.jpg

db5.jpg

db6.jpg

db7.jpg

db8.jpg

db9.jpg

db10.jpg

db11.jpg

db12.jpg

db13.jpg

db14.jpg

db15.jpg

db16.jpg

db17.jpg

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

As am I which is why I went down to Chancery Court and got this. There was about 60 pages total, but at $0.50 a page I only got the petition.

Raybin is supposedly a good civil rights guns attorney.

aadvark

imported post

Kwikrnu,

How is your Gun Case going against Belle Meade Tennessee?

Mr. Blackwell,

I, in addition to Kwikrnu, support your Right to have a Firearm.

I pray that the Courts take favor in your arguement.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

aadvark wrote:
Kwikrnu,

How is your Gun Case going against Belle Meade Tennessee?

Mr. Blackwell,

I, in addition to Kwikrnu, support your Right to have a Firearm.

I pray that the Courts take favor in your arguement.
I'd rather not talk about that on this thread.

Kriegsammler

imported post

(devil's advocate mode)

Doesn't a pardon mean he actually WAS guilty.. but he's just being let off the punishment?

(/devil's advocate mode)

Not trying to start a smeg-storm on the issue.. but if I was involved on this case and had a say in the restoration of this gentleman's gun rights.. I'd want to know and fully understand the particulars of the conviction and pardon.

(Granted I didn't read the links.. just skimmed the thread. I DID read thru the document images posted.)

-Adam

aadvark

imported post

I meant..., I hope its going well..., that is all.

I respect your Privacy Rights.

darthmord

imported post

AFAIK, an unconditional pardon (that goes so far as to specify firearms rights are restored) is functionally the same as it being wiped off your record. A pardon means you are not guilty of the crime anymore.

Thus, it logically stands that any punishments associated with the crime would be lifted as well.

Good luck with your case!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
(devil's advocate mode)

Doesn't a pardon mean he actually WAS guilty.. but he's just being let off the punishment?

(/devil's advocate mode)

Not trying to start a smeg-storm on the issue.. but if I was involved on this case and had a say in the restoration of this gentleman's gun rights.. I'd want to know and fully understand the particulars of the conviction and pardon.

(Granted I didn't read the links.. just skimmed the thread. I DID read thru the document images posted.)

-Adam
No, Nixon was never even charged and got a pardon.
Peanut Head pardoned the draft dodgers in canada, some who were never tried.
Which gave us the Zipper Malfunctions in the White House. Actions have
consequences, let TN sue GA for pardoning people, not take it out on innocent
citizens.

If TN doesn't respect that, move over the border, but how would they
know about the non crime. You don't have to declare it, and if it shows up on
a background check it is a mistake with the record keepers that needs correcting
not on you the wronged party.
They would have to prove you were convicted of a felony when there is no legal
evidence you have ever committed one. So I don't see how a jury convicts you in TN.:cry:
Looks like a case for slander, and defamation if they say you are a criminal.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

A pardon is an act of grace, proceeding from the power intrusted with the execution of the laws, which exempts the individual on whom it is bestowed from the punishment the law inflicts for a crime he has committed.

Seems cut and dry, You can't subject him to the punishment of the crime.
i.e. banning him from having guns is the punishment so is exempted by pardon.
Looks like he needs to apply for a suppressor so he can sue the sheriff for not
executing his duties as the law orders him to. Silencer is not a gun so even TN
can't do a thing. If he gets it, then the state will be hard pressed to argue
he can have class III firearms, but not a class I.

Thundar

He should appeal. The equal protection clause of the 14th A was misapplied in his case. The judge compared him to others that had recieved a pardon. This is not the correct group to compare him to. He should be compared to other citizens in general, as he was pardoned.

This decision is a true abomination. Press forward with the appeal. It certainly will define the boundary between strict scrutiny and state law for firearms.