• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intro and question

SuperSneakySteve

imported post

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm happy to join your online community.

I wanted to start off with a question. I"ve been getting more into target practice recently and I'm looking for cheaper ways of doing it.

It's $9 for 1/2 an hour of range time in my area but I'd rather find some land where I can shoot at cans and things at my own pace.

Can anyone direct me to a map of places where I can go in the woods and shoot on my own? I'm pretty sure it's legal on state land as long as you're 150M from other homes.

I'm living in Hartland ATM.

Thanks!

sprinklerguy28

imported post

SuperSneakySteve wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's legal on state land as long as you're 150M from other homes.

Safety zones are all areas within 150 yards (450 feet) of an occupied building, house, cabin, or any barn or other building used in a farm operation. No person, including archery and crossbow hunters, may hunt or discharge a firearm, crossbow or bow in a safety zone, or shoot at any wild animal or wild bird within a safety zone, without the written permission of the owner or occupant of such safety zone. The safety zone applies to hunting only. It does not apply to indoor or outdoor shooting ranges, target shooting, law enforcement activities or the discharge of firearms, crossbows or bows for any non-hunting purpose.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Welcome!

Here is some information that will be helpful:

State Game Areas

Target shooting allowed as it is not prohibited. Should be at an identifiable target with a backstop to avoid issues with the DNR.

Links:

http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/sga/std_back_rules.pdf

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363-31657--,00.html

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="+1"]State Parks and Recreation Areas[/size][/font] [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size="-1"]All state parks and recreation areas are closed to hunting from April 1 through September 14, except in areas designated open during the earlyCanada goose season and spring wild turkey season.
There is no trapping within 50 feet of the mowed portions of specific areas within state recreation areas. Check with the park headquarters for current trapping regulations and any restrictions for those areas prior to trapping.
It is illegal to target shoot in a state park or recreation area, excepton adesignated shooting range at Bald Mountain Recreation Area, Island Lake Recreation Area, Ortonville Recreation Area and Pontiac Lake Recreation Area.
Contact the individual park forhunting information. To make camping reservations, call 800-44-PARKS. State Park Motor Vehicle Permits can be purchased online or by calling (517) 373-9900.
[/size][/font]
Link: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10913-31687--,00.html

PDinDetroit

imported post

Island Lake is a nice facility, should be less than $10, and time is not limited. I have been to Bald Mountain a few times recently, cost $7, time was not limited, and I was able to OC unfettered. Heck, the 2 range officers had an AK-74 that they let me shoot!

Now, for some real fun, The Lapeer State Game Area has a gravel pit that you can shoot at with no cost other than gas/ammo/targets and with no range officers. There are any number of people there at a given time and many have fun "toys" they are willing to share.

Directions: M-24 North past Town of Lapeer about 3 miles, Right (East) on Daley for about 2 miles, Left (North) on Roods Lake for about 2 miles, Gravel Pit is on right.