Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Potomac Mills / Burlington Coat Factory --- Fun :)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    I found this slightly amusing...

    Just got home from an outing of olive garden, fishing, and last but certainly not least Burlington coat factory at the Potomac mills mall.

    Now I have been OCing for about 3 months now and this was my first odd experience. As we approach Burlington coat factory i tell my wife go on ahead to the baby section (another on the way yikes lol) and I will meet up with you I am going to just use the bathroom a minute.
    After i finish up i head over and once I round the corner to head down the home stretch I pass an employee carrrying a bunch of metal frames. I notice him eyeing my pistol as I pass him. As soon as I actuall pass him I hear the metal frames slam the ground and I know he is staring at me. I opt to continue on since he didnt say a word. I get about 100 feet down almost to my destination and I know he didnt move because i didnt hear him pick up the frames.
    So at this time i decide to peek back real fast and sure enough he is pointing at me and staring as he talks to another employee. I continue on to my wife and daughter and soon as i get to them i smile and tell her what happened. I also say they should be over shortly. So now we continue to look through the expensive cribs and baby stuff preping what im going to say when they approach.
    Sure enough the employee and what looks like the store or department manager arrive but my pistol is facing away and out of their view. The "manager" asks if we are finding everything alright I smile and tell him "yes pretty soon we are going to need alot of new baby items." All the while he is walking around me and peeking to see if i really am carrying. All he says to my response was "Oh ok thats good." He then tells the employee ok we gotta go around cant get to there from over here and then leaves. I couldnt help but think sarcastically nice cover up .
    We are over in that area for a while looking and figuring out which items we want and never see the manager again the employee stays around putting frames together building what looks like more shelves. He never looks over and doesnt say anything. Soon after we leave with no issues really.


    I just thought i would share this with you all. I really thought the manager did a very good job assessing the situation. I just found it humerous how he slammed the frames down as i passed and tried to cover up the spy job as something other than that.

    Any comments or questions?

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    Assod101 wrote:
    I found this slightly amusing...

    **** Just got home from an outing of olive garden, fishing, and last but certainly not least Burlington coat factory at the Potomac mills mall.

    **** Now I have been OCing for about 3 months now and this was my first odd experience. As we approach Burlington coat factory i tell my wife go on ahead to the baby section (another on the way yikes lol) and I will meet up with you I am going to just use the bathroom a minute.
    **** After i finish up i head over and once I round the corner to head down the home stretch I pass an employee carrrying a bunch of metal frames. I notice him eyeing my pistol as I pass him. As soon as I actuall pass him I hear the metal frames slam the ground and I know he is staring at me. I opt to continue on since he didnt say a word. I get about 100 feet down almost to my destination and I know he didnt move because i didnt hear him pick up the frames.
    **** So at this time i decide to peek back real fast and sure enough he is pointing at me and staring as he talks to another employee. I continue on to my wife and daughter and soon as i get to them i smile and tell her what happened. I also say they should be over shortly. So now we continue to look through the expensive cribs and baby stuff preping what im going to say when they approach.
    **** Sure enough the employee and what looks like the store or department manager arrive but my pistol is facing away and out of their view. The "manager" asks if we are finding everything alright I smile and tell him "yes pretty soon we are going to need alot of new baby items." All the while he is walking around me and peeking to see if i really am carrying. All he says to my response was "Oh ok thats good." He then tells the employee ok we gotta go around cant get to there from over here and then leaves. I couldnt help but think sarcastically nice cover up .
    **** We are over in that area for a while looking and figuring out which items we want and never see the manager again the employee stays around putting frames together building what looks like more shelves. He never looks over and doesnt say anything. Soon after we leave with no issues really.


    **** I just thought i would share this with you all. I really thought the manager did a very good job assessing the situation. I just found it humerous how he slammed the frames down as i passed and tried to cover up the spy job as something other than that.

    **** Any comments or questions?
    Just a comment. You are lucky you were not escorted out. Potomac Mills is not gun friendly, is posted and has rules listed on their website.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    ewwwww... Did not know that one. Well good thing then.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    1. Are you a VCDL member?

    2. See: http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html#Potomac Mills Mall
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Post imported post

    Actually, the mall is posted. If you enter BCF from the mall, you might see the signs. If you enter through the BCF doors, however, and stay in BCF, you never see a sign. So if this were the case, you had not been notified, and would simply have had to leave if asked.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373

    Post imported post

    As an aside, I'd point out that it's illegal to use the word, "factory", in a retail business name or trademark unless one actually operates a factory. Va. Code section 59.1-200. Burlington Coat Factory did have a factory at one time, which it still maintains as amuseum. They take the position that the museum is a factory, because it once was. But it doesn't produce anything sold in the stores, and is not in fact a factory, because nothing is manufactured there. So anyone who "suffers loss" e.g., by buying something at Burlington Coat Factory is entitled to five hundred bucks, minimum, and up to fifteen hundred (or three times the actual damages whichever is greater), plus costs, interest, and attorneys' fees. Va. Code section 59.1-204. The problem is that people are naturally deceived by thinking they're getting special prices on goods manufactured by the seller; when in fact, Burlington buys low priced, well, not first-rate, goods from distributors and sells them retail at a profit, but because the products are, well, not first-rate, the prices are lower. It's illegal because people are likely to think they're getting first-rate stuff at low prices because of having "cut out the middle-men", but that's not true.

    Anyone who wants to go there and buy a pair of socks so as to have standing to sue can use me as a witness (I'm thinking specifically of the Prince William County store); I've told store managers and written them letters, about this issue, and there's no question that their continued use of the word, "factory" is a willful violation of Virginia law.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Eastern Prince William Co. VA, ,
    Posts
    306

    Post imported post

    Yes, the Mall is posted, but the notice is so small that one could not reasonably be expected to notice it when entering.

    Whenever I have entered the Mall, the notice about not carrying guns is in small print, on a long list of rules, posted on a small sign on the side of the entrance, and is somewhere near item number 13 on a list of about 15 "No-no's"...after "no skate boards", "no boisterous behavior", etc.

    Isn't the notice about no guns supposed to be prominently displayed?

    In my opinion, the no-guns notice at Potomac Mills Mall is not prominent and one could easily walk past it without seeing it.

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373

    Post imported post

    rugerdon wrote:
    ...Isn't the notice about no guns supposed to be prominently displayed?...
    Well, the word is, "conspicuously". The standard definition of "conspicuously" as applied to printed words, is that the words in question must be at least as large and obvious as the largest other printed matter. That would be kind of funny in this situation, since "NO GUNS" would have to be as large as "Potomac Mills", I reckon.

    Put it this way: I wouldn't go into or spend money in Potomac Mills (nor will anyone in my family). However, if I were defending someone arrested for having violated that "notice", I would be perfectly comfortable arguing to a jury that the text in question was not conspicuous and that no one in his right mind actually reads all that crap they post on the doors.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  9. #9
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    user wrote:
    rugerdon wrote:
    ...Isn't the notice about no guns supposed to be prominently displayed?...
    Well, the word is, "conspicuously". The standard definition of "conspicuously" as applied to printed words, is that the words in question must be at least as large and obvious as the largest other printed matter. That would be kind of funny in this situation, since "NO GUNS" would have to be as large as "Potomac Mills", I reckon.

    Put it this way: I wouldn't go into or spend money in Potomac Mills (nor will anyone in my family). However, if I were defending someone arrested for having violated that "notice", I would be perfectly comfortable arguing to a jury that the text in question was not conspicuous and that no one in his right mind actually reads all that crap they post on the doors.
    And I can easily see them nodding their collective heads in agreement as they recall entering malls a countless number of times themselves, without reading the fine print...

    TFred

  10. #10
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    user wrote:
    As an aside, I'd point out that it's illegal to use the word, "factory", in a retail business name or trademark unless one actually operates a factory. Va. Code section 59.1-200. Burlington Coat Factory did have a factory at one time, which it still maintains as amuseum. They take the position that the museum is a factory, because it once was. But it doesn't produce anything sold in the stores, and is not in fact a factory, because nothing is manufactured there. So anyone who "suffers loss" e.g., by buying something at Burlington Coat Factory is entitled to five hundred bucks, minimum, and up to fifteen hundred (or three times the actual damages whichever is greater), plus costs, interest, and attorneys' fees. Va. Code section 59.1-204. The problem is that people are naturally deceived by thinking they're getting special prices on goods manufactured by the seller; when in fact, Burlington buys low priced, well, not first-rate, goods from distributors and sells them retail at a profit, but because the products are, well, not first-rate, the prices are lower. It's illegal because people are likely to think they're getting first-rate stuff at low prices because of having "cut out the middle-men", but that's not true.

    Anyone who wants to go there and buy a pair of socks so as to have standing to sue can use me as a witness (I'm thinking specifically of the Prince William County store); I've told store managers and written them letters, about this issue, and there's no question that their continued use of the word, "factory" is a willful violation of Virginia law.
    Sorry, but I find that humorous. You want to sue them because they use the word "factory"??

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    user wrote:
    As an aside, I'd point out that it's illegal to use the word, "factory
    YOU just used it!:celebrate
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  12. #12
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    It's true!

    § 59.1-200. Prohibited practices.

    A. The following fraudulent acts or practices committed by a supplier in connection with a consumer transaction are hereby declared unlawful:

    12. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, using in any manner the words "wholesale," "wholesaler," "factory," or "manufacturer" in the supplier's name, or to describe the nature of the supplier's business, unless the supplier is actually engaged primarily in selling at wholesale or in manufacturing the goods or services advertised or offered for sale;
    How do these stores get business licenses to open?

    TFred

  13. #13
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    It's true!

    § 59.1-200. Prohibited practices.

    A. The following fraudulent acts or practices committed by a supplier in connection with a consumer transaction are hereby declared unlawful:

    12. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, using in any manner the words "wholesale," "wholesaler," "factory," or "manufacturer" in the supplier's name, or to describe the nature of the supplier's business, unless the supplier is actually engaged primarily in selling at wholesale or in manufacturing the goods or services advertised or offered for sale;
    How do these stores get business licenses to open?

    TFred
    When you go to the office to get a business licenses someone that was hired to sit behind a desk and take the application process it and the payment gives it to you. Or you mail in the application with payment and they mail the licenses back. Either way these people don't know the law, their just doing what the boss told them todo.

    I would not know about this being in the code unless someone posted it or told me about it.

    John
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •