• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Should I Do to Prep to OC at U of M?

The Expert

imported post

The CPL processing site says that my CPL was approved a few weeks back. I'm still waiting for it to turn up in the mail, but I guess it's just a matter of time.

After doing a fair amount of research, I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably going to switch to OC most of the time. As I am a student at U of M Dearborn, I spend most of my time there.

I'm really not liking the idea of disarming then rearming every time I arrive/depart the school premises, so I'd like to exercise my right to OC there.

Furthermore, as it's a college and colleges seems to be a popular place to educate young people to different ideas (seems like a lot of civil rights movements start/grow at universities) it seems like a good place to keep people educated.

After all, every group that has something to say is represented there. There is a major Muslim group that is always staging awareness events and the such and the GLBT group is pretty active as well. Seems like it would make sense to try and get the message out there about 2nd Amendment rights as well.

Can anyone share some ideas about how to go about this the "right" way? I was thinking of setting an appointment with the chancellor and presenting materials, making my case, and getting the blessing of the powers that be before going into it.

Any advice is appreciated.

1245A Defender

imported post

We-the-People

you should talk to that guy^^^ he is very active in oregon pushing for student carry
and 1,2,4,5, amendment awareness, he can tell you lots of good stuff.

back to your CPL, you gotta call them and pester them to get them to actually give it to you.
they have lotsa approved CPLs ready to send out, but they will sit on them untill you make a stink! you might get it the same day you call!

Sefner

imported post

I am also a student at U of M (Ann Arbor). I highly recommend talking to the DPS before doing this. The MI Constitution gives several universities (U of M being one) special powers of municipality. This means they can form their own laws and regulations and have their own police force. I do not think that pre-emption applies to them (don't quote me on that, I'm kind of guessing). If it doesn't, they can Constitutionally ban firearms on their campuses and expel students that do not comply. This may not apply to the Dearborn campus. Just a heads up on how laws and U of M work.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Sefner wrote:
I am also a student at U of M (Ann Arbor). I highly recommend talking to the DPS before doing this. The MI Constitution gives several universities (U of M being one) special powers of municipality. This means they can form their own laws and regulations and have their own police force. I do not think that pre-emption applies to them (don't quote me on that, I'm kind of guessing). If it doesn't, they can Constitutionally ban firearms on their campuses and expel students that do not comply. This may not apply to the Dearborn campus. Just a heads up on how laws and U of M work.
Please post a link to the portion of the MI Constitution and/or any laws that grant Universities special powers? I'd like to read them.

sasha601

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Sefner wrote:
Please post a link to the portion of the MI Constitution and/or any laws that grant Universities special powers? I'd like to read them.

Me too. I can not wait to see it.

The Expert

imported post

I just visited http://www.ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Michigan_Constitution and then went through each of the Articles (I - XII) and the Attached Schedules and ran a Ctrl+F search for the term "university" on each of them.

The only thing that comes up is establishing a board of regenst for each public university, assigning their term, and giving them the power to manager their university budget internally.

I can't find anything in the constitution that causes them to be a separate "state within the state"...am I looking in the wrong places? Are there amendments?

The Expert

imported post

I found this on wikipedia which says that Board of Regents for U-of-M, Michigan State, and Wayne State are separate constitutional entities. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_Regents_of_the_University_of_Michigan

Strange thing is that this idea was cocked up in conjunction with the State Constitution of 1850 and a subsequent decision by Justice Claudius Grant around 1895.

That makes little sense though, because the constitution was recreated in 1965 with no mention of such a standing. Was it somehow "grandfathered" in?

Sefner

imported post

They have the same powers has a municipality does when it comes to regulations like this. That is why U of M has their own police force that can enforce any regulations set by the University and have powers of arrest. Not just an everyday "campus security". This is allowed by court rulings.

Michigan Supreme Court ruled that the state constitution explicitly defined the powers of the Board of Regents independently of the Legislature, while every other corporation the constitution created had its powers specified by the Legislature. Justice Claudius Grant wrote: "No other conclusion was...possible than that the intention was to place the institution in the direct and exclusive control of the people themselves, through a constitutional body elected by them."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_Regents_of_the_University_of_Michigan

So you could argue it's even different from a municipality.

Even if it's not specifically in the MI Constitution, that is how U of M is treated when it comes to state law. CCing on U of M's campus is an arrestable offense even though you're not in a "dormitory or classroom of a college or university" (look at the back of your CPL)

The Expert

imported post

Further diggng at the source (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/Constitution.pdf) shows the newest version of the constitution specifically not limiting the powers of the Board of Regents with a reference back to a previous version of the constitution.

So it would appear that the Regents' Ordinances are law. If you read those ordinances, then you'll find that firearms on the campus property in any way is a no-no.

This would mean that you could be arrested if you disarmed and left your pistol in your car when headed into a football game. CPL or not...those laws don't apply.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So uh, Umich has an ordinance on the books right now.

Possession of weapons of any kind = 10-90 days in jail, a $50 fine, or both.

Just in case you were wondering.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I should also add that the preemption law, MCL 123.1102, only restricts Local Units of Government.

A Local Unit of Government, as defined in that law, is a City, Village, County, or Township. A University is not among them.

Since Universities have been granted both the power to make ordinances and the power to enforce them with their own police force, the laws they make are very real and very detrimental to your criminal record should you choose to carry there.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I believe you said that you were a student which gives U of M a bit more "power" in the situation. If you are, I would most certainly prepare by checking out other schools you may be interested in attending. That way, as a student of some other school, carrying at UofM is just a small test. (small bit of sarcasm here, sorry)

As a student there, I would not carry in violation of the rules/policy etc. Admin may try to stay away from pushing the issue in front of a judge if one of us non-students is caught in violation. Rest assured as a student, though, I can't imagine they would even think twice of sending you on your way...

ElectricianLU58

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Slinger wrote:
So where is this CPL processing site you speak of?
Some counties show "progress" of your CPL on a county-built website, showing things such as pending review, being reviewed, approved, etc.

Not many counties do this.

macomb county has this feature. probably so people wont call them so often. i just got my cpl on friday.