• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Should I Do to Prep to OC at U of M?

fozzy71

imported post

:cuss:

8. Macomb County Sheriff's Office receives background report regarding fingerprints from the Federal Bureau of Investigations(FBI).

04/28/2010

9. Macomb County Clerk's Office receives the State of Michigan and Federal Bureau of Investigation Reports from the Macomb County Sheriff's Office.

The Macomb County Clerk's office has not yet received the background check from the Macomb County Sheriff's Office. When the background check is received by the Clerk's Office, your application will be processed and you will be scheduled for a Gun Board meeting (except in the case of renewals).

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Expert,

Your safest option is to do an "empty holster" event. This drives them nuts! But if they try to stop you it is a violation of your civil rights. If you need help, I would suggest you send a PM to:

JeffSayers (MOC President). He is always very helpful.

Or Venator, he is an almost limitless source of OC info.

I am a student also (local Comm. College) and empty holster is the only way to get your point across without the campus police arresting you. Be aware some staff may ask you to leave their class because you are causing a disturbance. I know it's a lame option but at this time it is your only safe way to go in my honest opinion.

Best regards,

- G9mmOS

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Sefner wrote:
I am also a student at U of M (Ann Arbor). I highly recommend talking to the DPS before doing this. The MI Constitution gives several universities (U of M being one) special powers of municipality. This means they can form their own laws and regulations and have their own police force. I do not think that pre-emption applies to them (don't quote me on that, I'm kind of guessing). If it doesn't, they can Constitutionally ban firearms on their campuses and expel students that do not comply. This may not apply to the Dearborn campus. Just a heads up on how laws and U of M work.
Please post a link to the portion of the MI Constitution and/or any laws that grant Universities special powers? I'd like to read them.

Actually I believe there is a section in the Michigan Constitution that allows Wayne State, UM and MSU to have plenary powers to conduct and enact certain laws.

As has been discussed to death this is a gray area and it seems no one on either side of the gun issue wants to push it. MSU feels that they would lose to preemption and have relaxed some of their ordinances to reflect that. UM states it will arrest you based on these powers.

There has been a law proposed (and stalled) that would pull in colleges under preemption. And of course there is one trying to get rid of the classroom and dorm ban.

We need to bring them unquestionably under preemption or get an AG opinion or a suit to decide this once and for all.

If you are a student you have to abide by the policy of the university or face disciplinary action up to expulsion.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

You gotta love how a place like a college can set up its own laws, its own constitution, its own police force, and arrest you, in blatant violation of the US and MI constitutions, CPL laws, (and common sense), and yet it affects your criminal record and CPL status in the real world.

Whats really amazing, is that they are not explaining themselves in front of the supreme court.

mikestilly

imported post

I went to U of M Dearborn for many years. I strongly suggest you read your student handbook and code of conduct. If you OC on campus you will definitely be expelled at the very least if caught. My opinion is OC'ing on campus especially as a student is extremely stupid and will only cause harsh penalties to be put upon you. Not that I agree with it.

Possession of Weapons on Campus Policy

Students
The following personal actions on University property or at official University functions shall be considered non-academic misconduct and be subject to disciplinary action: Use, possession, or storage of any weapon on University premises or at University-sponsored activities and events (unless approved by the Department of Public Safety; such approval will be given only in extraordinary circumstances). (1)

Students must also be familiar with Regent Ordinance Article X (Weapons) that also applies to possession of weapons on campus

http://www.umd.umich.edu/317101/

Article X: Weapons
Section 1. Scope of Article X
Article X applies to all property owned, leased or otherwise controlled by the
Regents of the University of MIchigan and applies regardless of whether the
Individual has a concealed weapons permit or is otherwise authorized by law to
possess, discharge, or use any device referenced below.
Section 2. Possession of Firearms, Dangerous Weapons and Knives
Except as otherwise provided in Section 4, no person shall, while on any property
owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by the Regents of the University of
Michigan:
(1) possess any firearm or any other dangerous weapon as defined in or
interpreted under Michigan law or
(2) wear on his or her person or carry in his or her clothing any knife, sword or
machete having a blade longer than four (4) inches, or, in the case of a knife
with a mechanism to lock the blade in place when open, longer than three
(3) inches.
Section 3. Discharge or Use of Firearms, Dangerous Weapons and Knives
Except as otherwise provided in Section 4, no person shall discharge or otherwise
use any device listed in the preceding section on any property owned, leased, or
otherwise controlled by the Regents of the University of Michigan.

Section 5. Violation Penalty
A person who violates this Article X is guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon
conviction, punishable by imprisonment for not less than ten (10) days and no
more than sixty (60) days, or by a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50.00) or
both.

http://www.regents.umich.edu/ordinance.pdf

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
imported post

I am a Dearborn Alumni and I can vouch for there no weapons policy. Of course it is a small campus and rather safe (seemingly, although you cannot defend yourselves.)

But I wished for the policy to go away when I attended because Wayne State had their on-campus rapist making the regions students wary of BGs.

That and I would have loved to have seen the look on a car thief's face if (1) I had appeared when someone tried to rip off my Chevelle from Dearborn's parking lot in front of the Engineering Complex in 1995 and if (2) I had been OCg back then.

As it was neither (1) nor (2) was happening at the time. Although I think they might have been spooked away by me or another student or faculty inadvertently. I was the first to find out about the attempted theft after Calc class. I did find my car almost stolen with the ignition column torn open and the 8-Track FM radio playing out loud. I only had the car a week when I found that a screwdriver can be used as a universal key $#!?