• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC at home?

Dreamer

imported post

In North Carolina, it is legal to carry concealed on your own private property. As long as you don't leave your private property, you can carry in any manner you wish.

From the NC Gun Laws booklet published by the Attorney General:

III. COMMONLY ASKED FIREARMS QUESTIONS
A. MAY I CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON IN NORTH CAROLINA?
ANSWER: No. As a general rule, North Carolina law forbids a private citizens from carrying a concealed weapon, either on or about their person, while off their premises, unless they have a concealed handgun permit. This prohibition pertains not only to firearms, but also to any other deadly weapon.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

Do a search in the NC forum. There is an open carry flyer that has a lot of good information regarding open carry.

There really should be a seperate forum section for flyers from the states so it can be found by newbies without a lot of searching.

jp49911

imported post

You can cc at your home without a permit. You can cc on any private property wihout permit as long as you have the owners permission. I will try to find a link to reference.

jp49911

imported post

§ 14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.]
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.]
(a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:
1) The person is on the person's own premises.
2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, and the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14‑415.24.
3) The deadly weapon is a handgun and the person is a military permittee as defined under G.S. 14‑415.10(2a) who provides to the law enforcement officer proof of deployment as required under G.S. 14‑415.11(a).

http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-269.html

Can't find anything that says you can conceal on other private property with owners permission but my cc instructor said you can and it would stand to reason but IANAL nor was my cc instructor.

As for your own premises, no problem.

*note: does not stipulate residential, appears you could carry at your business if it was your premise

Dreamer

imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
Also you can apply for a virginia NON RESIDENT permit through the mail and it will be valid in North Carolina until you've been here long enought to meet the NC CHP residency reguirements. Mine took about two months to get here.

He said he'd been in NC since September. The residency requirement in NC for a CHP is only 30 days. If he changed his drivers license over to NC when he moved here, he's already met that requirement...

To answer the OP, if you already have a permit from your old home state, you can also apply for a PA non-resident permit. They are a LOT cheaper than the VA permits, and are good in NC too (and a bunch of other states).

Contact Sheriff Denny Nau in Centre County PA. He's a real "stand-up" guy, his staff is VERY helpful, and you'll get your permit double-quick--I go mine in less than 2 weeks from him:

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/license_application.asp

However, it it's my understanding that if you don't have a valid permit from somewhere, and you live in NC now (which is a "shall-issue" state), neither PA or VA will issue you a non-resident permit unless and until you get a valid permit from SOME state, be it NC or a state like UT or FL. It is my understanding that PA and VA will only issue non-res permits to non-permit holders if they live in a place that does not issue permits, like WI, IL, or DC...

anyamaboy

imported post

Thanks for the additional info. I just bought a pistol with a PPP last week. I've lived in NC for 4 years as a college student with my residency still in IL, but last September I decided that it would be easier since I'm living in NC this summer and even bought a car here, and work here, to declare myself a NC resident. btw, I love the gun laws and mention them to my IL friends when I talk to them...

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

anyamaboy wrote:
Thanks for the additional info. I just bought a pistol with a PPP last week. I've lived in NC for 4 years as a college student with my residency still in IL, but last September I decided that it would be easier since I'm living in NC this summer and even bought a car here, and work here, to declare myself a NC resident. btw, I love the gun laws and mention them to my IL friends when I talk to them...
If you obtain a North Carolina concealed handgun permit, you will no longer need to get separate pistol purchase permits--and will be able to legally carry in several states (including South Carolina) that do not recognize nonresident permits.

anyamaboy

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
anyamaboy wrote:
If you obtain a North Carolina concealed handgun permit, you will no longer need to get separate pistol purchase permits--and will be able to legally carry in several states (including South Carolina) that do not recognize nonresident permits.
Right now, money is the issue... that should change soon... hopefully!

Dreamer

imported post

Back to the OP topic...

I was visited by a Census worker today, and as usual, was OCing in my house.

We sat in the living room, and she filled out the form, across the couch from me, with my Para in a Serpa in plain view...

So far I haven't noticed any reflective stickers on my mailbox... Yet...;)

ocgso

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
§ 14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.]
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.]
(a1) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:
1) The person is on the person's own premises.
2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, and the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter or considered valid under G.S. 14‑415.24.
3) The deadly weapon is a handgun and the person is a military permittee as defined under G.S. 14‑415.10(2a) who provides to the law enforcement officer proof of deployment as required under G.S. 14‑415.11(a).

http://www.ncleg.net/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-269.html

Can't find anything that says you can conceal on other private property with owners permission but my cc instructor said you can and it would stand to reason but IANAL nor was my cc instructor.

As for your own premises, no problem.

*note: does not stipulate residential, appears you could carry at your business if it was your premise

jp, you are correct, you may CC on your private property or any other private property with owner's permission.

Here is the reference you were looking for (see bold):

[size=§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.][/size]

[size=(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.][/size]

[size=[b](b) This section shall not apply to the following:[/b]][/size]

[size=(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;][/size]

[size=(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;][/size]

[size=[b](3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event;[/b] and][/size]

[size=(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. ][/size][size=(1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)][/size]

Adam H

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Back to the OP topic...

I was visited by a Census worker today, and as usual, was OCing in my house.

We sat in the living room, and she filled out the form, across the couch from me, with my Para in a Serpa in plain view...

So far I haven't noticed any reflective stickers on my mailbox... Yet...;)
Not to hijack, but does anyone know what the real purpose of those stickers are? About half of the people on my street have one. I don't want to here any conspiracy theories about them.

KyleKatern

imported post

they are sold to paper carriers and mail folks, they get used to tag routes, etc. Use of them varies based on the system used by the person who delivers to that area. Some folks have found cable company folks using them, to make it faster to look for stolen cable in an area.

92FS

What about Renters?

In North Carolina, it is legal to carry concealed on your own private property. As long as you don't leave your private property, you can carry in any manner you wish.

From the NC Gun Laws booklet published by the Attorney General:

III. COMMONLY ASKED FIREARMS QUESTIONS
A. MAY I CARRY A CONCEALED WEAPON IN NORTH CAROLINA?
ANSWER: No. As a general rule, North Carolina law forbids a private citizens from carrying a concealed weapon, either on or about their person, while off their premises, unless they have a concealed handgun permit. This prohibition pertains not only to firearms, but also to any other deadly weapon.
Do you have to get your landlords permission to CC or OC on the property you rent?

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Do you have to get your landlords permission to CC or OC on the property you rent?

If it were me, I wouldn't even ask. I prefer a "don't ask don't tell" policy in such situations. Who is your landlord to be able to trump your right to defend yourself and your family from intruders? :D

Easier to ask forgiveness than get permission, I say. Besides, in the event that you were in a REAL situation that would warrant using a handgun to defend yourself in your home, wouldn't you rather have the gun & potentially piss off your landlord than to not have it & be a victim?

What is most important is that you carry, regardless of method. If you really think that it would be a problem with your landlord, don't OC outdoors on the rental property. Keep it covered.

Last edited:

elixin77

When I was in the market for a new apt, I would ask any prospective landlord explicitly what their firearm policy was. One place I went to said that if someone complained about me OC'ing, then I would have to stop. Another place (the one I'm going to be living at) said as long as its not an unlawful discharge, he doesn't care how I carry, why I carry, or when I carry. Guess what apt complex I chose?

Yeah, forgiveness is easier to ask for then permission. But when it comes to renting a building, you gotta know what you can and can't do otherwise you'll be standing in front of a civil court defending yourself against an eviction....

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Well, if you were looking for a new place, yeah, that's different.... I would agree - its nice to make sure that you're not violating policy in that event.

When writing my earlier post, I was thinking more along the lines of what if you're already there & have recently made the decision to own a firearm & take responsibility for your own safety. I think I would forgo OC and not let management know that I was armed, rather than risk eviction. If I had just made the decision to exercise my rights and arm myself, I wouldn't wait until my current lease is up to do it. So this is why I say, don't ask & don't tell.

Why let the management dictate to you that you cannot properly defend yourself? Either you believe in the second amendment or you don't. If the poop hits the fan & I have to defend myself with my gun, I'm really not worried about a possible eviction.

elixin77

Well, if you were looking for a new place, yeah, that's different.... I would agree - its nice to make sure that you're not violating policy in that event.

When writing my earlier post, I was thinking more along the lines of what if you're already there & have recently made the decision to own a firearm & take responsibility for your own safety. I think I would forgo OC and not let management know that I was armed, rather than risk eviction. If I had just made the decision to exercise my rights and arm myself, I wouldn't wait until my current lease is up to do it. So this is why I say, don't ask & don't tell.

Why let the management dictate to you that you cannot properly defend yourself? Either you believe in the second amendment or you don't. If the poop hits the fan & I have to defend myself with my gun, I'm really not worried about a possible eviction.

I completely understand and I completely agree with you. I was just stating my observation, and how people can take advantage of apartment hunting to learn what they can and can't do before they sign the lease.