• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Southern California Public Radio - LA City Council votes to "take on" the open car

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LA City Council supports state ban of bearing arms in public

6:59 p.m. | KPCC Wire Services | KPCC

The Los Angeles City Council went on record today in support of a proposed state law that would ban the carrying of an unloaded, exposed handgun in any public place or street in Los Angeles.

Councilman Paul Koretz said AB 1934, introduced by Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, "would help to promote public safety by decreasing the likelihood of a potentially dangerous confrontation between open carry advocates, the unsuspecting general public and the law enforcement community.''

"This is to take on a movement of radical gun advocates,'' Koretz said.

"Right now, you can put an unloaded handgun on one hip, ammunition on the other. It takes as little as two seconds to load it.

"It's frightening for people confronted with these Open Carry advocates in places of business and on the street,'' Koretz added. "It leads to tension and stress that could lead to some very deadly violence.''

Councilman Dennis Zine, an LAPD reserve officer, said "the reason I support this is for the security of our community, as well as for the protection of our police officers.''

The resolution was passed on a 13-0 vote.

Open Carry advocates began gathering at Starbucks coffee shops in Northern California several months ago, after San Francisco-based Peet's Coffee & Tea and Los Angeles-based California Pizza Kitchen adopted policies banning people from carrying firearms in their stores and restaurants, respectively.

Starbucks issued a statement in March, saying the "political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.''

. . .

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

This means basically nothing; other than the LA City Council are a bunch of nut jobs! These political fruitcakesare so out of step with liberty-lovin', freedom-fighin' American citizens it's just not possible to take them seriously anymore. The city is an economic "Titanic" headed for disaster. They have no idea what's just below the surface!

A ECNALG

imported post

And of course, Los Angeles has never, never, everexperienced an incident whereone of its thousands ofgang banger thugs has used hisCONCEALED WEAPON to create a "dangerous confrontation between [himself], the unsuspecting general public and the law enforcement community.''

Well, Koretz. Well, Zine. If you're so damned concerned about how"frightening" it is"for people confronted with these Open Carry advocates in places of business and on the street,'' then how about making Los Angeles a "Shall Issue / Right To Carry CONCEALED" city.

Right....didn't think so.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How in the hell do dimwits like this get voted into office?

If LAPD officers are so afraid of the sight of an openly carried holstered handgun on the hip of a law abiding citzen, they don't have any business being LEO.

oc4ever

imported post

The city goes from one financial disaster to the next. Los Angeles is financially overrun in general crime, welfare fraud, illegal immigration, drug abusers, marijuana dispensaries and is turning into a worse trash heap as time goes on. If these councilmen spent more time on making the City a safe place to visit after dark, employee pension reform, fixing the horrible traffic, street and pothole problems, and various other matters that they actually are supposed to be watching, they would not have to worry about saving the world's environment, Arizona's immigration laws, and gun control of law obeying citizens.

This kind of time wasting crap is made to deflect what poor service and safety Los Angeles is really providing to its residents. I am sure reserve officer/councilman Wise would be happy removing every gun not owed by a cop from town , so his job would be so much safer. Maybe next they could send a council resolution to Sacramento requesting a 15 mile an hour speed limit citywide so all the children would be safe crossing the street. That would work as well as telling all the criminals to stop using their guns to terrorize neighborhoods and to all get along with each other. The poor level of safety in LA has absolutely nothing to do with OC and everything to do with constant attempts to disarm the cities citizens, and remove every last gun shop from their town. Does your town have a "Gun Squad" within the police department to hassle businesses? Well Los Angeles has for many years.

coolusername2007

imported post

Was listening to a recently archived radio show from Dave Champion, he said that in the city of Los Angeles proper, there aren't any gun shops, not one. Don't know if its true, but I don't doubt it either. The City of Angels fell long ago and is only sliding down the proverbial cliff further.

A ECNALG

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
How in the hell do dimwits like this get voted into office?

If LAPD officers are so afraid of the sight of an openly carried holstered handgun on the hip of a law abiding citzen, they don't have any business being LEO.

Oh, that's an easy one to answer...these dimwits get voted into office by a large number of other dimwits !

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Large cities like L.A., Chicago, New York, Seattle need to be ran as independant states without the help of the rest of the state for awhile maybe that will knock some sense into them.

DBO

imported post

Well I guess i'm gonna have to give Koretz a piece of my mind when he comes to my neighborhoods homeowners meeting to kiss our asses in June...

F R E E S O U L .CA

imported post

This is how civil wars are started. The wishes of the people fall on the deaf and overthrowing ears of their so called representatives, while slowly having their rights and property stripped away. Sound familiar? Well it should, its American history, all up in our face, all over again. We started this country to escape those weak cowards, who claim to represent us. I hope that the state doesn't take this issue lightly. Does anyone feel that this, is something they will not sit by and watch as our last chance to be free is pulled out from under us? Who in the state/city do these people represent? It sure isn't me or anyone I have spoken with. A bunch of yellow bellied managers for the over-throwers. The people are consumed with debt, a distraction in itself, all the while, some paid employee working for the Braidys, or whoever- try's to think of how they can dis-arm the people of the united states on the clock, while we slave to pay a bunch of banks for some overpriced real-estate. What will we do with all our houses and toys when we are disarmed and paying 60-75% tax to the Great American Debt.[line][sub][/sub]Oh my American people, we have been so cleverly enslaved by something called debt. They need us to repay The Great American Debt. Maybe, they want our guns first so they can get to our money without incident. The very people who are claiming to force their safety on you, make sure you get plenty of street sweeping tickets, don't they? Its always about the money for these people. Rest assured, anything the crooked representatives try and do will be geared for removing money from your pocket.

What did you think? Oh, did you think they cared about you? That's why they remove the guns? Some may have good intentions, being so cleverly deceived. We gotta stay focused and keep it simple. These people are representing corporate liars, who want the U.S. people disarmed. By the way, I bet with all this debt we strapped on recently from other countries, the anti-gun lobby has new members- speaking of countries who loaned us cash...lots of it. Well, I say, us but, I DIDN'T GET ANY OF IT. Did you? Somebody did. And guess who pays it back? With no guns, and no hope to live free. Thats right;) we all will pay, and pay, and pay, and pay and our children will pay and pay...Trillions...and it will never stop unless we stop it. We ABSOLUTELY CANNOT allow them to infringe on our gun rights any longer as American men. I am no hero and want nothing more than a peaceful place to rest but, if this bill passes it seems to be the equivalent of waging a war to install a tyranny over the people and this i say with care because I would hate to see such a thing manifest. If you feel powerless now, wait and see how you feel with no gun rights.

Power to the U.S.A.
Power to the people,

:cool:Joe Cool

F R E E S O U L .CA

imported post

After I had cried for help all over the page earlier, about how the city wants the population of LA disarmed because they want to keep steeling money from the citizens, I found this article in the LA Times buried in the back of the paper. um, im no conspiricy theroist, but I sure would be a fool if this didn't bother me. Funny how things work. The timing I mean.

:uhoh:Exibit "B"

Koretz was quoted by KPCC as saying "This is to take on a movement of radical gun advocates."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-county-fraud-audit-20100526,0,2553704.story

Enjoy:cuss:

Joe Cool:cool:

F R E E S O U L .CA

imported post

They are afraid of us. Thats why they want to take away the ability to defend ourselves. The problem is that they are the aggressors, ("they" ya, the spooky- "they" word, however just read the two above links) with all their corruption. They should be afraid of the people, like a child should fear his/her parent after stealing something. Fear, its a good deterrent-for corrupt politicians. Remember, after all it is OUR job to watch them, right? Thats a major, if not the reason, the 2A exists expressly in the U.S.A. Not to mention the 1A. To protect U.S. from what seems to be a constant illness within a functioning republic. The desire to suck labor and property from the people while holding them and/or their property at gunpoint through the police ranks. (ie: Cameras installed on every corner, what a scam on us all.) Herein also lies, the major reason federal military are not allowed to police the streets. Possible Corruption. I may be incorrect on some of these points, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Im just struggling for a solution before the window closes on us. WAKE THEM UP- or it WILL be too late. We have a fading opportunity to win over the hearts of the people- May G-d Bless our efforts or hide us well.:exclaim:

JOE:cool:

DBO

imported post

I dont read the print edition, but yeah I saw that in the local section yesterday.

Palecon

imported post

dbozorg wrote:
Well I guess i'm gonna have to give Koretz a piece of my mind when he comes to my neighborhoods homeowners meeting to kiss our asses in June...
DB, you let me know and I will drive down to cd-5, and back you up all the way. Would you like to go to city hall and comment on this face to face with all these anti's. I am thinking about it myself. We got rid of Jack-ass Weisnow we have another to replace him. Great...p

Palecon

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
Was listening to a recently archived radio show from Dave Champion, he said that in the city of Los Angeles proper, there aren't any gun shops, not one. Don't know if its true, but I don't doubt it either. The City of Angels fell long ago and is only sliding down the proverbial cliff further
Dave's right cool. Happened back in Riordans days as mayor as I recall. Riordan screwed the gun rights groups after they supported him.

DBO

imported post

I went up to super flub after the meeting because so many people were venting about the various bullshit excuses koretz was feeding them. One of them was a deaf woman whom along with her service dog was mauled by a pitbull, she was angry that lapd never responded to the 911 call. so after I asked Koretz what people like my wife should do in between the time they call police for help and they show up. He said something along the lines of a person with a loaded gun in starbucks is crazy. someone else there told hes crazy because everywhere else you can carry a gun and the crime is lower. then like magic some staffer apears and koretz has to get on the fone with the media. how convenient. it was funny to watch bernard parks tell koretz who claimed that there were no complaints about lapd response time and the former chief tells him other wise.

DBO

imported post

I think all los angeles open carriers should throw on some biz attire and get speaking cards at the council meetings.

Robin47

imported post

These LA Supervisors, must be young and don't remember the 1965 Watts riots.

I lived in Palos Verdes then, and was home for ( leave from the Navy).

Neighbors came over and ask if we had any guns they could borrow,because they knew me and my Dad were hunters. We said no you have to get your own guns.

We were many miles from the Riots going on , yet people were scared and wanted to protect themselfs. So this is a lesson in true history, and real life.

Many people have to learn the hard way.

keep up the good fight guys ! Robin47 :celebrate

Don Tomas

imported post

A ECNALG wrote:
And of course, Los Angeles has never, never, everexperienced an incident whereone of its thousands ofgang banger thugs has used hisCONCEALED WEAPON to create a "dangerous confrontation between [himself], the unsuspecting general public and the law enforcement community.''

Well, Koretz. Well, Zine. If you're so damned concerned about how"frightening" it is"for people confronted with these Open Carry advocates in places of business and on the street,'' then how about making Los Angeles a "Shall Issue / Right To Carry CONCEALED" city.

Right....didn't think so.

You know......I like you! :) Just took the words right out of my mouth.