• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

629.6 School Zone (summer programs? summer camp?)

desertfox

imported post

It has become clear that it can be very difficult to OC in certain aspects of Southern California. I'm trying to gain a complete understanding of 629.6 and how it would apply to churches that may or may not have a weekly summer program from anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks during sumer.

For the purpose of the above question - this would be a Vacation Bible School (1 week during the summer - for all ages) and apart from this, it is NOT a school 51 weeks a year.

Also - does anyone OC while attending church?going to the bank?

Thank you for your help!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Does the institution provide education in any of the grades K-12? That is, is it an accredited institution? Would you be off the legal hook if you took your kid out of public school and instead enrolled in the institution's program?

If not, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

wewd

imported post

By your description it does not appear that this church provides K-12 schooling, therefore PC 626.9 does not apply. Unless they have an actual school providing regular education in grades K-12, there is no issue. Preschools and day care centers are not part of the law either.

Note the law is 626.9, not 629.6.

Army

imported post

Private AND public K-12 are subject of the law. The law also continues through weekends, holidays, and Summer vacation, 24/7-365.

The facility must provide K-12 education, but not necessarily contiguous (think K-6 Elementary, 7-9 Junior high, 10-12 Senior high).

Colleges are NOT covered by the law, but you MUST obtain permission from the college to bring a firearm onto campus.