• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

reciprocity with Tennessee

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I am going toapply fora few out of state handgun carry permits. While researching I came up with this list of States which have written agreements with Tennessee and accept non-residents to apply for their permits. I'm fairly certain none require the Tennessee applicant topossess a Tennessee handgun carry permit.

I prefer open carry, but sometimes you need a permit.

•Arizona $60/5 years (must complete training in Arizona)

Arizona Department of Public Safety
Attn: Concealed Weapons Permit Unit
P.O. Box 6488
Phoenix, Arizona 85005
Phone: (602) 256-6280 and (800) 256-6280
Fax: (602) 223-2928
Email: ccw@azdps.gov
http://www.dps.state.az.us/ccw/default.asp

•Florida $117/ 7 years

Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services,
Division of Licensing
P.O. Box 6687
Tallahassee, Florida 32314-6687
Phone: (850) 488-5381
email: springb@doacs.state.fl.us
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

•New Hampshire $100/ 4 years (must have copy of valid permit issued by any state)

Director of State Police
Permits and Licensing Unit
35 Hazen Drive
Concord, New Hampshire 03305
Phone: (603) 271-3575
Fax: (603) 271-1153
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

•Texas $140/ 4 years (carry permit course must be taught in Texas)

Texas Department of Public Safety
Concealed Handgun Licensing Section
P O Box 4143
Austin, Texas 78791-4143
Phone: (512) 424-7293 or (800) 224-5744
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us

•Virginia $100/ 5 years

Virginia State Police
P.O. Box 27472
Richmond, Virginia 23261
Phone: (804) 674-2000
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

crazydude6030

imported post

Not sure how VA will handle your application considering your past history in your own state. With your own permit being rejected and a hearing pending VA may deny you. You might want to check with a lawyer before you waste your money.

Persons Not Qualified to Obtain a Permit:
An individual, who it is alleged, in a sworn written statement submitted by the sheriff, chief of police or attorney for the Commonwealth in the opinion of such sheriff, chief of police or attorney for the Commonwealth, is likely to use a weapon unlawfully or negligently to endanger others. The statement of the sheriff, chief of police or the attorney for the Commonwealth shall be based upon personal knowledge or upon the sworn written statement of a competent person having personal knowledge.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#ApplicationforaConcealedHandgunPermit

Also your wrong about the cost. That $50 is for residents only. Nonresidents have to pay $100 according to the states website.

Application Fee
All completed application packages must include a money order or cashier’s check in the amount of $100.00, made payable to the Virginia State Police. Receipt of the application without payment will cause the unprocessed application package to be returned to the applicant. The application fee is non-refundable regardless of the final determination of eligibility.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm#Application%20Fee

Best of luck to you.;)

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
Not sure how VA will handle your application considering your past history in your own state. With your own permit being rejected and a hearing pending VA may deny you. You might want to check with a lawyer before you waste your money.

Persons Not Qualified to Obtain a Permit:
An individual, who it is alleged, in a sworn written statement submitted by the sheriff, chief of police or attorney for the Commonwealth in the opinion of such sheriff, chief of police or attorney for the Commonwealth, is likely to use a weapon unlawfully or negligently to endanger others. The statement of the sheriff, chief of police or the attorney for the Commonwealth shall be based upon personal knowledge or upon the sworn written statement of a competent person having personal knowledge.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#ApplicationforaConcealedHandgunPermit

Also your wrong about the cost. That $50 is for residents only. Nonresidents have to pay $100 according to the states website.

Application Fee
All completed application packages must include a money order or cashier’s check in the amount of $100.00, made payable to the Virginia State Police. Receipt of the application without payment will cause the unprocessed application package to be returned to the applicant. The application fee is non-refundable regardless of the final determination of eligibility.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm#Application%20Fee

Best of luck to you.;)

In VA it has to be personal knowledge and a sworn statement. I also believe I get an appeal.

Florida has a similar requirement, but it does not apply.

4. Has been adjudicated mentally defective or has been
committed to a mental institution by a court and as a
result is prohibited by federal law from purchasing a
firearm.
a. As used in this subparagraph, "adjudicated mentally
defective" means a determination by a court that a
person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or
mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease, is a
danger to himself or herself or to others or lacks the
mental capacity to contract or manage his or her own
affairs. The phrase includes a judicial finding of incapacity
under s. 744.331(6)(a), an acquittal by reason of insanity
of a person charged with a criminal offense, and a judicial
finding that a criminal defendant is not competent to
stand trial.

(6)ORDER DETERMINING INCAPACITY.—If, after making findings of fact on the basis of clear and convincing evidence, the court finds that a person is incapacitated with respect to the exercise of a particular right, or all rights, the court shall enter a written order determining such incapacity. A person is determined to be incapacitated only with respect to those rights specified in the order.
(a)The court shall make the following findings:
1.The exact nature and scope of the person's incapacities;
2.The exact areas in which the person lacks capacity to make informed decisions about care and treatment services or to meet the essential requirements for her or his physical or mental health or safety;
3.The specific legal disabilities to which the person is subject; and
4.The specific rights that the person is incapable of exercising.

virginiatuck

imported post

I was browsing through this Tennessee forum in the process of researching an upcoming trip when I came across this thread.

It sounds like you, a resident of Tennessee, are planning to get a permit from another state so that you can carry in Tennessee. Maybe my presumption is wrong, though. While the wording of the Tennessee law doesn't precisely say that you must have a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit if you are already a Tennessee resident, it does say this in 39-17-1351(r)(3)(B):

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, the person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.

It seems to me the intent was that Tennessee residents at some point have to acquire a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit in order to carry in Tennessee. However, literally, that law only applies to people who have a permit from another state and then become a resident of Tennessee. You, already being a resident of Tennessee don't have to abide by that? Has this already been discussed?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
I was browsing through this Tennessee forum in the process of researching an upcoming trip when I came across this thread.

It sounds like you, a resident of Tennessee, are planning to get a permit from another state so that you can carry in Tennessee.
you're wrong

virginiatuck

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:

It sounds like you, a resident of Tennessee, are planning to get a permit from another state so that you can carry in Tennessee.
you're wrong
Wrong about which part? Residency or intent? If I am wrong about your intent, I'm curious then, why was a "written agreement with Tennessee" part of your criteria?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Anyone who carries in Tennessee should meet the same standards as those who receive a Tennessee handgun carry permit. If Tennessee lowers it standards and accepts those from other States, especially those with which they have agreements, it cheapens the TN permit.

For example a pardoned felon in GA can get a GA permit and carry in Tennessee, but a TN man can't get a TN permit if he was ever a felon which means he may not carry in GA.

crazydude6030

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Anyone who carries in Tennessee should meet the same standards as those who receive a Tennessee handgun carry permit. If Tennessee lowers it standards and accepts those from other States, especially those with which they have agreements, it cheapens the TN permit.

For example a pardoned felon in GA can get a GA permit and carry in Tennessee, but a TN man can't get a TN permit if he was ever a felon which means he may not carry in GA.

Just so I got this right, you plan to get out of state permits to show TN that these permits shouldn't be allowed because it cheapens TN permits? or are you doing this in a attempt to loosen TN permit requirements?

crazydude6030

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
I can't loosen or tighten restrictions. I will use the permit to show the absurdity of Tennessee law.
I don't think I said you could change the laws. I was thinking more along the lines of case law or some sort of lobby effort. I can't really see anyone that matters looking at your single permit and saying "Yep, that guy got a permit. We better change the law to only accept TN permits". I don't understand what your ultimate goal with this is or what it is going to do. Seems like a wasted effort IMO.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I'm going to court over this issue. If I have a permit issued by Florida to carry in their State, but cannot carry in mine it shows there is a discrepancy in the qualifications.

crazydude6030

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
I'm going to court over this issue. If I have a permit issued by Florida to carry in their State, but cannot carry in mine it shows there is a discrepancy in the qualifications.
Alright, that's fine, but what do you expect the courts to do about it? The way I see it a few things can come out of this.

• The courts laugh at you and dismiss the cause
  • Courts agree with you and you get your permit back
  • Court somehow strike down all out of state permits
I simply don't follow what your going trying to get out of all of this.

crazydude6030

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
No matter what happens I'll have a FL permit.
To be honest the fact that you are going to alppy isn't what interest me. What you expect to get out of a court hearing does. What if this plan of yours causes TN to only honor TN permits. Would that not be counter productive? I would really like for you to state what your goal is.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
No matter what happens I'll have a FL permit.
To be honest the fact that you are going to alppy isn't what interest me. What you expect to get out of a court hearing does. What if this plan of yours causes TN to only honor TN permits. Would that not be counter productive? I would really like for you to state what your goal is.
My goal is to get my TN carry permit back. If I can't carry in Tennessee no one should.

crazydude6030

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
My goal is to get my TN carry permit back. If I can't carry in Tennessee no one should.
So a scorched earth tactic? That doesn't seem like a logical course of action. :?

virginiatuck

imported post

With regards to New Hampshire, the license application asks:
Have you ever had a license to carry denied in this or any other State?

If your answer is yes, you have to provide complete details on the application. It doesn't mean you'd be denied a NH permit, it's just something they'd take under consideration.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
With regards to New Hampshire, the license application asks:
Have you ever had a license to carry denied in this or any other State?

If your answer is yes, you have to provide complete details on the application. It doesn't mean you'd be denied a NH permit, it's just something they'd take under consideration.
Exactly. I'll start with the FL permit and work from there. I haven't got the finger print cards yet.

edit:
I applied for the florida permit in November and was issued. It was cheap considering I didn't have to take a firearms class. I just sent in my DD-214 with the money, fingerprints, and picture and they sent the permit. I'm now working on one from Utah.

Last edited: