• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested after shooting at AT&T store robbers in Gresham

We-the-People

imported post

DenWin wrote:
We-The-People: I see your point, but A - how easy was it to make an insurance claim on your horse(s) and/or cattle in the 1800s? and B - your horse(s) and cattle, if you had them, really were your lively hood. You couldn't go with out your horse for very long and still survive well. That sort of thing did threaten life for many which is why it was such a serious crime. These days, it is very easy - not that you want to - to deal with the theft of your vehicle, bike, almost anything. With mass transit and the advent of the credit card you can get by for the next couple of weeks at least while the insurance company figures out either fixing or replacing your vehicle.

The point is that stealing a persons car today is much teh same as stealing a horse was "back then". While i'e got several other options in the way of wheels if one of mine is stolen or breaks down, many people don't have that luxury. Steal someones car and they can't get to work, the grocery store, the hospital, etc.

As for the insurance, ever had a loss on a vehicle and put in a claim? Quite often you will find out that you owed more on it than the insurance will pay. For a lot of people that means no more transportation, particularly any of the 20+% that are unemployed these days.

I'll posit that if the penalty for car theft was the same as horse theft in the "wild wild west", there'd be a whole lot less car theft going on and a lot fewer criminals.

It's called DETERENCE and that's a major benefit of open carry.

EDIT TO ADD (at wifes insistence): MASS TRANSIT? We don't have mass transit. If we lived in town we would, sort of, but not very good.

DenWin

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
The point is that stealing a persons car today is much teh same as stealing a horse was "back then". While i'e got several other options in the way of wheels if one of mine is stolen or breaks down, many people don't have that luxury. Steal someones car and they can't get to work, the grocery store, the hospital, etc.

As for the insurance, ever had a loss on a vehicle and put in a claim? Quite often you will find out that you owed more on it than the insurance will pay. For a lot of people that means no more transportation, particularly any of the 20+% that are unemployed these days.

I'll posit that if the penalty for car theft was the same as horse theft in the "wild wild west", there'd be a whole lot less car theft going on and a lot fewer criminals.

It's called DETERENCE and that's a major benefit of open carry.

EDIT TO ADD (at wifes insistence): MASS TRANSIT? We don't have mass transit. If we lived in town we would, sort of, but not very good.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be difficult, but that it is much easier these days. I don't disagree one bit that there would be far less crime, I don't consider it the 'wild wild west' either, and yes, I am all about the deterrence factor of open carry. Got it, mass transit isn't really mass every where, but it is still a LOT easier to find trans in this day and age then it was way back when (oh, I hope a European isn't reading this ;) ) I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one :celebrate