• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You can't check a gun on a plane!

Nevada carrier

imported post

So, I'm leaving Iowa today, waiting for my plane right now. I'm checking in my bags, one of which is a hard sided long gun case with an Amberg 1908 8mm Mauser. I sign my firearms declaration card and open the case to put the card inside. The guy behind me pipes up to inform the counter attendant that, "there is no way I can bring a gun on a plane."

Being a small regional airport in Iowa, the TSA inspection point is 5 feet from the counter. The TSA agent says, "Pease mind your own business sir, the professionals have this under control."

Now I thought this was the end of it, but the TSA agent decided to do a very thorough screening both of the "Know it all's" bags, taking every article of clothing from both bags. It doesn't end there. When he got to the security check point to have his carry on x-rayed, she radioed the other TSA at the metal detector to tell him it was time for a "random screening." They emptied every item from his bag, and swabbed his shoes and his laptop for explosives.

My god it was the funniest thing I've ever seen. Don't be a know it all on that TSA agent's watch, that's for sure.

flagellum

imported post

Haha this is pure gold. Sounds like this guy got a lesson in "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." :cool:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

As much as I don't like the Checkpoint Children, that one earns a bow.

The thing that the hoplophobe didn't know is that when someone makes a reference to security regarding another person, both get a higher level of attention. You were already going through the escalated level, but he put himself on the map as someone trying to divert attention from himself!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In one vein it does seem like just desserts were delivered.

However, lets not overlook that an American citizen was singled out for oppressive searches based on voicing his opinion.

TSA is bad enough without itflexing its musclein order to vindictivelyharass.

Just for perspective, the agent could just as easily have said, "Oh, sure he can, sir. I'll give you a card explaining how it works when I am done with him."

irish

imported post

Citizen wrote:

However, lets not overlook that an American citizen was singled out for oppressive searches based on voicing his opinion.

TSA is bad enough without itflexing its musclein order to vindictivelyharass.

Just for perspective, the agent could just as easily have said, "Oh, sure he can, sir. I'll give you a card explaining how it works when I am done with him."
I agree with your sentiment. Some twit exercising his "power" due to one of the "subjects" being ignorant of firearms laws pertaining to air travel is not something I would applaud. I fly all the time and the TSA is about the most worthless bunch of blood sucking tax leeches on the planet.

Nevada carrier

imported post

As much as I hate to say this, I have to give the TSA agents a little bit of wiggle room. Just as we as travelers find it hard to keep up with the changing restrictions and procedures, imagine how these poor blue callar people feel, let's say the average person flys 2-3 times a year a few things change from one trip to the next most things stay the same. We don't see how often the restrictions change from one week to the next or perhaps even one day to the next unless we fly so much that we're in and out of air ports every few days.

Where I work, SOPs change on a daily basis, sometimes without us even being told. I imagine that these folks have similar working conditions. One agent gets word that there is a new SOP but the agent working across from them doesn't. For instance, on Mondays with a day of the month ending in an even number they randomly screen every 6 passengers on one check point but the other guy hasn't gotten word that it's changed and he's only doing random screenings on one in 12 people, Now it looks like one agent is just a prick or it gives the appearance that the other agent isn't doing his job. Why, because the day the SOP was released he took a sick day and no one told him.

like I said I have to give these guys a break sometimes.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

Citizen wrote:

I disagree.

He was singled out because he tried to divert attention away from himself. "Look over there, at that guy . . !" can mean "Don't look at me!"

Anyone who has ever been where it matters learns "When you look up, look down, when you look left, look right!" The best way to hide something is to get you looking in a different direction. This is how sleight-of-hand artists work, and why pickpockets love big shows (such as the pirate show at Treasure Island). Cops know this, which is why THEY (especially plainclothes) love big shows (such as the pirate show at Treasure Island).

For fun, stay at the back of a big crowd with their attention focused on the action, and look for the ones glancing around at the backs of people's heads, and the ones looking around at the crowd.

. . .which, BTW, is something that every carrier should do anyway -- if you have your pistol, you MUST maintain at least Condition Yellow.

Nevada carrier

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I admit it right up front.  I am going to be a total hypocritical jerk.  If the extra attention had been paid to the gun owner, I would be totally beside myself ticked off about it.  Since it happened to who it  did, though, I am totaly beside myself laughing my butt off!  Sure, it's not right.  But I am glad the other side gets to feel our pain every once in a while.

No more attention was payed to me than was required by TSA regulation. This was probably because I took the time to educate myself on the SOP for checking a firearm with my luggage so I could facilitate proper procedure. For instance, instead of walking up to the counter and saying "I have a gun, what do I do?" I simply walked up and said, "I'll be checking 2 pieces of luggage and I will also need to sign a firearms declaration card." Then I turned over my bags to the inspectors and waited for further instructions. They didn't need anything from me and just gave me the thumbs up that I was no longer needed.

From now on I will be checking my carry firearms when ever I fly, and will OC anywhere I may legally do so. If I have to leave my firearm unloaded and locked in the trunk of a car while I'm visiting some other state, I'll do that. Better than not having my piece with me at all, but thats JMHO.