• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts for Memorial Day

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I wrote this in 1993. Seems it is still meaningful today.

[align=center]Thoughts for Memorial Day
[/align]
How should we celebrate this holiday?

Stop and think a moment what makes men free. A republic, steeped in tradition and cognizant of its past, its present, and its destiny. A people, rich in resources and knowledgeable. Aware and leery of their assigned protectors; their government. Non-apathetic, they must remain vigilant, for the price of liberty is eternal vigilance. Constantly informed of events both from without and within the country, they must remain alert at all times. Humble before their God, their flag, their history, and their institutions, they must jealously guard that which has been passed down to them. And they must never forget, and must always honor and revere they who have fought and who have given their last full measure so that those who follow may remain free.

This must be how the torch is passed. With humility. With honor. With respect. With reverence. With the assurance that the sacrifices of our forefathers will not have been made in vain. That a "government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from the earth".

Those things in life most desired and cherished by some are the things most sought after by others. Freedom is the most sought after and the most cherished gift of all. Therefore, it is the thing others most want to control. Protect it. Love it. Nurture it. It is the most precious gift we can pass on to our children.

When you are standing in a line at a store sale or sitting down to a picnic lunch or firing up the grill for a cookout or just taking a drive with the family, stop and think for a moment of the men and women who have given their all so that you may do these things. We owe them at least that much. Certainly more than empty words from empty hearts.

Dreamer

imported post

I think that some OC picnics with lots of flyers to hand out would be a perfect way to celebrate this "holiday". What better way to remember those who have fought and died for our nation than to remind people what it was that they died for?

Maybe that's what I'll do...

25sierraman

imported post

It's been weighing particularly heavy on my mind this year since im on Funeral detail. I've been spending a lot of time at Quantico national cemetery burying veterans and giving their kin their flags. One of the Vets was a Korean war vet. Being of Korean descent its amazing how much i really do owe to these brave soldiers. My mother was born in 53 and if they didn't accomplish what they did when they did I may not be here today. I wouldn't be able to serve as I do today. To many people think that this is just a great day to take off work and drink beer until they are retarded. They don't stop even for a second to reflect on all the great things we have here that were only made possible by the sacrifice of men and women in the generations before us. I try my best to remember and think about these amazing men and women. I sure hope that some day someone remembers what the fine soldiers in my last unit did in Iraq when we were there. I hope they remember my buddy who ran over that IED. Just my 2 cents.

Dave Workman

imported post

Vets protected us, let's protect their Second Amendment rights

For too many people, the Memorial Day weekend just means a big sale down at the Bellevue, Southcenter or Tacoma malls, a visit to the Folklife Festival in Seattle, or a three-day camping trip to the drier east side of the mountains.

Others, however, take time to reflect and remember a father, uncle, brother or – perhaps most sadly of all – a son or daughter, who will never again be at the 4[suP]th[/suP] of July family picnic, Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas party for “the rest of their lives.”

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d28-Vets-protected-us-lets-protect-their-Second-Amendment-rights

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/396nc6t

KaosDad

imported post

I take the weekend to thank God for the men & women who took an additional oath to protect & defend my Country. They did so regardless of politics, religon, color or any other thing. They took up arms, computers, control sticks, whatever and executed against One Sacred Mission; The Defense of our Liberty.

I do not cloud this weekend with other causes. My focus is on them - past, present & future. They serve(d) without question, without reserve and with every ounce of fiber they have.

To them go the glory, the thanks, the praise.

God Bless Them - Every One.

image007.jpg

Eeyore

imported post

Unkie Ted in the May 2010 American Rifleman:

The curse of apathy is the number one enemy of America, and I refuse to allow the sacrifices of U.S. military heroes to go for naught. Activism is the duty of all Americans. An experiment in self-government demands participation by all who benefit from it. These heroes, these military warriors, who volunteered to crush evil wherever they could find it--if they are so willing to sacrifice so much, how dare any of us not participate? So to each of those gun owners who don't participate in the freedom provided by the sacrifices of warriors, I would beg thee to do some research, visit a vet's home, salute some flag-draped coffins, hold a crying mother and reconsider whether you might owe somebody something.