• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Warren Picnic at Halmich Made the Second Cover of Warren Weekly

mikestilly

imported post

Great article!!! Am scanning right now and post will follow with scanned article.

WarrenWeeklyUFO1.jpg

WarrenWeeklyUFO2-1.jpg

G22

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
G22 wrote:
Probably thought you were the most photogenic out of all of us!

Link: http://tinyurl.com/2whquhc

Link goes to an expired page
Well, It used to go to this lol

Warren Weekly (MI)

Saturday in the park, packing heat
Gun owners gather in Warren for picnic, bike ride, and discussion of gun rights
BRIAN C. LOUWERS C & G Staff Writer
Published: May 26, 2010
WARREN - It was an idyllic spring morning as a loose-knit group of gun owners gathered at Warren's Halmich Park on May 15. Those assembled, many with their families, came together to "exercise" their right to openly carry holstered side arms legally while riding bikes, enjoying a picnic lunch and engaging in conversation with anyone wishing to discuss the U. S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

"This is a group of independent people that are believing that they have a right to own firearms," said Jan Jay, 59 of Carlton, Mich., a retired police officer and chairman of United Firearm Owners, an Internet-based firearm rights advocacy and information group promoting safe and responsible gun ownership.

Jay said the purpose of the bike ride and picnic was to bring politicians and members of the public together to talk about issues of interest to the UFO and other gun rights groups.

"Their mission basically is to try to gather up everyone and make it so that whether you own a firearm, don't own a firearm, are anti-firearm, that we sit and talk, exchange information, and exchange educational thoughts," Jay said. "If one politician comes out, it was worth it. If none come out, it was still worth it, because we've gathered a group of people together to civilly talk and discuss, and give an opportunity to decide who we want to vote for." Among those in attendance at the picnic was Stacey Mathia, a gubernatorial candidate with the U. S. Taxpayers Party of Michigan.

"The public needs to be educated about our Constitution, and our Second Amendment right, and that it is our right to be able to bear arms, and protect ourselves and our families from those who want to do us harm," said Mathia, 37 of Alpena. "It's time for people to understand our constitutional rights." Michael Stillwater, 34, of Warren, a computer programmer who put the event together, said it was originally planned as an "open carry" bike ride and picnic, but it later grew to include gun owners of all types:those who legally carry holstered weapons, hunters, sport shooters and concealed pistol license holders.

"We wanted it to be more open than that," Stillwater said.

"We wanted to include everybody.

Not only that, we wanted to work well with other gun rights groups in Michigan." Stillwater attended the family-friendly gathering with his wife and young son. He said he hoped anyone curious about the gathering would engage those in attendance to learn more about the rights and responsibilities of firearms owners.

"Even if they don't own a firearm, it's to help them learn, to get information about firearm ownership in Michigan," Stillwater said. "Hopefully, people see us out there and follow us back here.

It's to bring awareness to the event and what's taking place. Not only that, it's legal to carry a firearm on a bike, as well." For more information about laws and rights regarding the legality of openly carrying properly holstered handguns with or without concealed pistol permits in U. S.

states, including Michigan, visit, www.opencarry. org You can reach Staff Writer Brian C. Louwers at brianlouw ers@candgnews.com or at (586) 498-1089.

Caption:photo by Brian C. Louwers Omar Collins, 38 of Detroit, prepared to head out from Halmich Park on a bike ride May 15 while carrying his FNP-45 handgun in a holster.

Copyright, 2010, Warren Weekly (MI), All Rights Reserved.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Great job!

I didn't notice the picture of all the kids on bicycles at first. I find that "placement" interesting! I guess that guns are OK around kids after all... :lol:

manicdevery

imported post

OCers on the same page as kids riding bikes?!?!?!? did anyone think about the children?!?!?! what if...... or if someone. . . . . . and a gun could have. . . . . . . . AND NOW CAPITOL LETTERS TO SHOW MY CONCERN!!!!!

just kidding :lol:, good work fellow patriots.

Devery

FreeInAZ

Great job all. It was my pleasure to be among you on that fine day ;)
Oh how time flies by. Wonder if the Warren authorities ever came to grips that OC was legal? They were (and most likely still are) some of the most thick headed folks I ever met. [emoji14]

I send a single digit salute to SGT Busch of the Warren PD. and other thugs in "their" house.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

Oh how time flies by. Wonder if the Warren authorities ever came to grips that OC was legal? They were (and most likely still are) some of the most thick headed folks I ever met. [emoji14]

I send a single digit salute to SGT Busch of the Warren PD. and other thugs in "their" house.

Oh boy did we ever have a fun time with them though...
Remember that one time... ?

Evil Creamsicle

Last edited: