• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

St. Helena's code

AmosMoses

imported post

St. Helena Parish, as some of you may know, has some extremely ridiculous local code on the books. Open carry is essentially "outlawed" across the parish. I open carry throughout the parish, 100% of the time...going to the mailbox included. If you happen see me in St. Helena sans sidearm, you are in my house...and probably sitting in the bathroom when I'm taking a shower.

The latter isn't going to change. Period. If I leave the house, I'm packing.

Basically, I took a stab at handling this the "right way". Two letters to the parish attorney, one to each Police Juror, and then a submission of six information packets that carried everything from the LOCAL brochure to all pertinent legal information (including the appropriate AG Opinions), and a formal request to consider the code for revocation. The code is obviously and wantonly unconstitutional, and there was way, WAY more than enough info there to establish that to anyone who read even a small part of what I submitted. Hell, each folder was 1/2 inch thick, so no one needed to research anything, unless they thought I was feeding them something I cooked up.

Today, the Secretary of the Police Jury, actually an extremely pleasant and helpful lady, emailed the following to me:

Mr. Phillips:
Your packets were handed to the Jurors on April 27th for their review. It was on the agenda May 11th and tabled until May 25th. On May 25th the Jury took no action. If you wish the matter brought before the Police Jury again you will have to request it be placed on the agenda. It would be in you best interest to have someone at the meeting.

My immediate actions will obviously not change. Outside air won't hit me without a sidearm. If I am cited, I'll fight it, and if I am arrested, I'll continue doing the exact same thing when I get out. Whether that is wrong or right, sensible or stupid, I don't know. It's the only, and I mean ONLY thing that I am absolutely, positively, 100% sure about in this situation. I am NOT submitting to this ridiculous law, no matter what. Obviously, I'd move before I'd stop packing, but damned if that seems fair. Check 'em out (they both fall before the preemption date):

St. Helena Parish Code of Ordinances
Chapter 15. Miscellaneous Crimes and Offenses
Subchapter A. In General
Sec. 15-2. Carrying, possession, or discharge of weapons near swimming and picnic areas prohibited: violations and penalties.
A.The carrying, possession, or discharging of firearms is hereby prohibited within 500 feet of any swimming or picnic area within the Parish of St. Helena when three or more persons are engaged in swimming or picnicking.
B.Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished in accordance with section 1-21 of this Code.
(Ord. of 5-14-1964)

Sec. 15-4. Hunting or discharge of firearms near public highways and residences.
A.The carrying, possession or discharge of a loaded firearm for hunting or any other purpose within 500 feet of any inhabited dwelling or any other building or structure where a person or persons are present, without permission of the owner of said dwelling or building is prohibited.
B.The carrying, possession or discharge of a loaded firearm for hunting or any other purpose within a distance of 100 feet of the center line of any public street, road, highway or thoroughfare, whether held by servitude or as owner, is prohibited.
C.Any person violating the provisions of this section, unless he be a law officer or policeman acting within the scope of his duty and employment, shall be guilty of a violation of this Code and upon conviction, be punished in accordance with section 1-21 of this Code.
(Ord. of 11-13-1984)

[align=center]******************[/align] Chapter 1. General Provisions

Sec. 1-21. General penalty; continuing violations.
A.It shall be unlawful for any person to violate or fail to comply with any provision of this Code or to commit any act which is declared to be a crime, a misdemeanor, or unlawful, and where no specific penalty is provided therefor, whoever is found to be in violation of any provision of this Code shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $100.00 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 30 days, or by both such fine and imprisonment within the discretion of the court.
B.Each day any violation of this Code shall continue constitutes a separate offense.

By this, every time I hunt in my "backyard", I do so on pain of citation/arrest for offense, because I don't ask my neighbor's permission. If I have a weapon, even an unloaded one, within 500 feet of three or more people who decide to eat a sandwich outside or jump in a river, I'm technically an outlaw. I break the law every day when I check my mail, and when I go anywhere, as a matter of fact, that I leave my vehicle. And that sucks.

So, what does one do? Well, I thought that I was going about it correctly, but evidently I was wrong. Obviously, I am going to continue to pursue this, and I am going to continue to live according to what's constitutionally guaranteed to me. Now, as far as being armed while out of a vehicle within 1000 feet of a school here...uhhhhnn, sorry....as far as being armed while out of a vehicle within 1000 feet of a what somehow passes for a school here, well, that's not gonna happen. I can't honestly tell you that I have ever cast a shadow on that certain area here, anyway, and in fact, I would lay heavy, heavy odds that I have never done so, anyway, so I can very easily abide by that. And, as far as private property goes (stores, etc), all it will take is one request, and I, and my money, will never go there again. Also very easy to live with. But, in and on the rest of the parish, if you see me, you will see my sidearm.

As far as stores go, with the few we have, I can honestly say that I have had no problems whatsoever. Whether people think I am law enforcement, or simply don't give a shit either way (most surely the case), I have never had anything more than a slight, short passing glance down at my hip, and that includes from LEOs....who I see all the time, and who never bother me. One gave my weapon a little tiny bit of the stinkeye the other day in the grocery store, but he looked up, nodded at me, said "hello", and went on his way to pick up milk and bread or whatever he was doing there....just like me.. Frankly, most of the LEOs around here, the sheriff included, are good and decent men and women with more important things to do than worry about someone who is carrying a gun that they can see. Hell, it's the woods out here! We don't have a single full green/red/yellow traffic light in the damned parish, so someone outta look out of place UNARMED is the way I see it.

As the secretary of the Police Jury's email indicates, I probably should have gone to the meeting. Of course, I had no idea until I got this email that it had even been considered, and I only got it because I contacted her to ask her the status. Had I known, I would have gone, but the way I fumble around, forget what I am saying, and lose my train of thought when I talk, I surely would have done myself no favor there. That's why I took the time and trouble to submit such an extensive info packet to the Police Jurors.

What aggravates me most about this ridiculous code is the inherent after-the-fact CYA factor it gives a LEO who arrests someone on state charges (that we all know do not exist). They can nail you and jail you, and then instead of admitting that they had no idea that OC was perfectly legal in LA, they could, if so advised of the existence of this code, later claim that they were enforcing the local code. MEM references meeting a St. Helena Deputy in a MS WalMart who obviously thinks that OC is illegal in Louisiana, and MEM's descriptive name (Kojak) truly bothers me, because that sounds like the Chief Criminal Deputy here, second only to the sheriff himself. Like I say, these LEOs, the sheriff and the Chief Deputy included, all seem to be very decent people to me, but MEM's description was too hard for me to ignore...and I have never ran across the sheriff or the Chief Deputy anywhere since they were in office here, so I honestly don't know what's gonna happen if I do....unless I can get this dumbass code nullified.

So, any advice and/or help would be appreciated. I am entertaining the idea of requesting that the consideration be returned to a future agenda, and trying to pack the house if I can.

Any advice?

aadvark

imported post

Louisiana Revised Code 14:95 and Louisiana Revised Code 40:1796 work together, in concert, to bar any such action by St. Helena Parish.

However, St. Helena Parish may, in accordance with Louisiana Revised Code 40:1796, regulate Firearms by:

1. Acquiring the proper Taxes levied against them [Firearms] for certain matters,

2. Pass a Local Ordinance prohibiting Firearms in certain Commercial Establishments (I assume Commercial Establishment means any Bar or Restaurant, under Louisiana Revised Code 14:95.5) and Public Buildings, and

3. Securing the inventory of Firearms and Ammunition from Federal Firearms Dealers in 'High Risk' Parishes. (St. Helena Parish is not a 'High Risk' Parish for the purposes of this Code, however).

Firearms are Legal in Parks in Louisiana, as there is no Law against it, so as long as the Firearm is not within a 1000 feet of any School, under Louisiana Revised Code 14:95.2, unless an exception under Louisiana Revised Code 14:95.2(B) applies.

***Although no Revised Statutes exsist making it a Crime to Carry a Firearm into StateParks, there are, however, Administrative Codes against this practice. However, Revised Code may or may not trump Administrative Code in this instance. Therefore, consult with an Attorney beforeany action is taken in this area. It issafe, however, to Carry a Firearm into a Localor Parish Park, in light of Louisiana Revised Statute40:1796.***

***LouisiananWMA Mananged Lands are off-limits to Firearms per Louisiana Revised Statute 56:109(C), unless; an exception applies as spelled out under Louisiana Revised Statute 56:109(D)(1) throughRS 56:109(5)(b).***

AmosMoses

imported post

Yes, this is correct. This is the same as the now defunct Amite local ordinance. So, it is as "legit" as Amite's ordinance was, I would expect. It was my intent to seek the same sort of fix here, too.

georg jetson

imported post

aadvark wrote:
***Although no Revised Statutes exsist making it a Crime to Carry a Firearm into StateParks or any other WMA, there are, however, Administrative Codes against this practice. However, Revised Code may or may not trump Administrative Code in this instance. Therefore, consult with an Attorney beforeany action is taken in this area. It issafe, however, to Carry a Firearm into a Localor Parish Park, in light of Louisiana Revised Statute40:1796.***
Except maybe this one... RS 56:109

C. No person shall knowingly take, attempt to take, disturb, or destroy any wild bird or wild quadruped or the nest, egg, or young thereof on lands set apart as wildlife management areas and wildlife refuges, or have in his possession or keep, while on the lands, any firearm, trap, snare, or other device capable of being used in the taking or disturbance of the birds or quadrupeds on such areas, unless the person previously has been expressly authorized by a permit from the department to do so and only for the purpose and under the conditions specified in the permit.

Administrative code derives its authority FROM statutes so statute ALWAYS trumps admin code.

As far as the pre 85 code is concerned, the OP may have an option provided in Civil Procedures 1871 to 1883...

LA Confederate

imported post

If you haven't done it already, I would suggest requesting it be put back on the agenda and ask for a confirmation on when it will be considered. Once we know that someone (or several someone's) should make it a point to be at that meeting to answer any questions.

LOCAL folks - methinks this should be brought up Wednesday night.

AmosMoses

imported post

I'd be more than happy to do that...and, of course, I'll definitely be there with however many sympathetic warm bodies I can drag along. But, it would sure make me feel good to know that someone more suited to it than me could be there to field the questions. I guess I'm asking if there are any takers for the job?

AmosMoses

imported post

Georg,

Yes, I am actually already am looking into a declaratory judgment, but I figured mention thereof would muddy the water of an already extensive post. Hopefully, there may be some success convincing the Police Jurors to do the right thing. If they chose not to, then I will definitely work toward forcing the issue.

AmosMoses

imported post

Oh, yeah, I was thinking one more thing. Man, it sure would be nice if a bunch of sympathetic individuals opted to show up to lend some support (hint, hint)....

LA Confederate

imported post

If we can get a confirmed date then I think that may be possible. I'm not that far away and I know that there are other from this area that may be able to make it as well. As long as I don't have any conflicts I can probably make it a point to be there.

georg jetson

imported post

AmosMoses wrote:
Georg,

Yes, I am actually already am looking into a declaratory judgment, but I figured mention thereof would muddy the water of an already extensive post. Hopefully, there may be some success convincing the Police Jurors to do the right thing. If they chose not to, then I will definitely work toward forcing the issue.
Ya know, I've been meaning to learn a bit more about this process myself... perhaps we could get together at a library one day and do some reading... :)

PM me if you decide to go that route.

Edit - I'll do my best to be at the police jury meeting... just say when.

sraacke

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
If you haven't done it already, I would suggest requesting it be put back on the agenda and ask for a confirmation on when it will be considered. Once we know that someone (or several someone's) should make it a point to be at that meeting to answer any questions.

LOCAL folks - methinks this should be brought up Wednesday night.
I added it to Wednesdays agenda. We discussed this before at the April and May meetings. Smokepole was researching it and brought a copy of the ordinance to a meeting. Amos, try to make the wednesday meeting if you can.

imported post

LOL, the obvious solution is to conduct an extensive "OC in St. Helena" day.
All available OC'ers show up on the same day, spend the entire day visiting any establishment in the parish.
Now, where's the number for the OC attorney ?
That's right, we don't HAVE one.............

barf

imported post

Is there any way you could follow up with the members of the police jury to find out why there was no action taken? It could be a procedural issue or something simple to remedy to get them to address it. Just a thought...

charlie12

imported post

barf wrote:
Is there any way you could follow up with the members of the police jury to find out why there was no action taken? It could be a procedural issue or something simple to remedy to get them to address it. Just a thought...
What barf said. A few phone calls might get you the info you need.

georg jetson

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
barf wrote:
What barf said. A few phone calls might get you the info you need.

Ok... all legislative bodies operate by a set of rules. If the path of recourse is still via the St. Helena Police Jury, then the interested party should obtain a copy of said rules. If you're lucky, they have posted these rules online. My only question to the police jury at this point would be "where can I get a copy of your rules?'

EDIT -

See... http://library3.municode.com/default-now/home.htm?infobase=11940&doc_action=whatsnew

Begin reading at Sec 2-101

aadvark

imported post

georg jetson,

Thank you for assisting me correct my inadvertant error in my former post.

I was unaware of Louisiana Revised Code 56:109, however; I will correct my oversight.

The former post, as it pertains to Firearms in WMA Land within Louisiana, was based and derived, in part, from HandgunLaw.com.

I will also alert Mr. Steve Aikens, the Director and co-Publisher of the above mentioned website, to this error (as the information was, in part, derived from His website).

I will carefully review Louisiana Revised Code more closely, in the future, before I cite any further omissions.

Thank you,

aadvark

P.S.1: Mr. Steve Aikens is a Professional Firearm afficinando out of New Mexico who works carefully to preserve and protect New Mexican Firearm-related affairs there. Furthermore, Mr. Steve Aikens has ties directly with HandgunLaw.com and The New MexicanState Legislature, as a Citizen.

P.S.2: I will edit the error from my previous post, as it pertains to RS 56:109.

georg jetson

imported post

No problem aadvark... hopefully 56:109 becomes irrelevant after Sen. Hebert's bill passes.

The important thing here it to be correct in the law. We should strive to encourage each other to make sure the law we rely on to make decisions is correct. Even posting mistakes can be a good thing as it should keep us on our toes to check things out for ourselves and not to rely on what others have found. :)

imported post

All this back and forth chatter, not a single mention of the state constitution's article 1 sec 11.
I'm convinced all you guys want to do is fill space with thousands of words.
Are ya'll employed in some state agency? Sure seems like it.

aadvark

imported post

Mr. Mark Edward Marchiava:

No I am not employed with any type of Government Agency.

georg jetson:

What Bill is this that you speak of?

P.S.: Have you heard about the Bill that would allow Concealed Carry Permit holders to be exempt from the 'Firearm Free School Zones'?