• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

St. Helena's code

georg jetson

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
All this back and forth chatter, not a single mention of the state constitution's article 1 sec 11.
I'm convinced all you guys want to do is fill space with thousands of words.
Are ya'll employed in some state agency? Sure seems like it.
There is no need to mention the OBVIOUS. The OP is persuing one option available to them and in this option it is MORE relevant to focus on the procedure. He has already done his research with regard to Art 1 sec 11. Why be repetitive? If he decides to seek a declaratory judgment and injunction against the Parish THEN art. 1 sec 11 will become center stage. Pay attention!!

charlie12

imported post

aadvark wrote:
Mr. Mark Edward Marchiava:

No I am not employed with any type of Government Agency.

georg jetson:

What Bill is this that you speak of?

P.S.: Have you heard about the Bill that would allow Concealed CArry Permit holders to be exempt from the 'Firearm Free School Zones'?
SB 81 and it's doesn't exempt you from the school zone only the 1000' part. It would do away with the 1000'

aadvark

imported post

Thank you, Charlie12.

Iwas confused about this.

Still..., it is good that Concealed Permit Holders will no longer have to worry about the 1000 foot 'Buffer Zone' surronding Schools.

Louisiana SenateBill 81meshes well with 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii).

AmosMoses

imported post

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help!

Let's see:

I have emailed Ms. Strickland to get the item back on the agenda, and I will immediately inform you all of the date.

Last night I drafted a pro se Petition for Relief by Declaratory Judgment Pursuant to Louisiana Code of Civil Procedure Art. 1871-1883, and I am working on a memorandum in support thereof with service and citation to the Police Jury and the LA AG. I am gonna prep a Rule to Show Cause for the judge's sig, as well as a Judgment....Optimistic? Well, not really. It can't go but one way, and we all know that. I figured that after an answer arrived thereto, I would rule 'em into court and then file a motion for summary judgment immediately thereafter for a look see at the show cause hearing date. Oh, and I'll draft an injunction to have on hand.

The most obvious reason that the thing didn't pass is probably because I wasn't there, I would imagine. I am a bit surprised the 6th District guy didn't step up, because he's really a good guy. But, what can you do? Maybe he's got other battles picked out...I don't know. I'll call him and see. I find it hard to bitch about any of these guys just yet, mainly because I haven't spoken to them. Seems a bit unfair on my art at this point. Likely my fault for not being there. I actually didn't know when the thing was set for, but I didn't want to screw it up by being there myself anyway, as ridiculous as that may sound to ya'll. I'm NOT the guy you want talking for you. Trust me on that.

I am considering meeting with the parish attorney and presenting him with a copy of the declaratory judgment and associated docs, advising him that I will file same as soon as the courthouse opens the day after the Police Jury meeting if the result of the meeting is not satisfactory. Obviously, I wish that the Police Jury had done the correct thing.

LA Confederate
- Thanks for everything! You are extremely helpful, and I appreciate it. as I said, I have contacted Ms. Strickland for the meeting to be returned to the agenda, and I will keep ya'll informed.

Yale - Thanks for adding the item to the meeting agenda. I am going to do the best I can to be at the meeting, but it's not looking too promising right now due to prior plans. I will see if I can crawfish out of them, though, and be there, because I sincerely appreciate everything you guys are doing for me...for us.

MEM - Thanks...I believe I covered every legal base with these guys, all in documentation, of course...preemption by statute as well as propriety, US and LA constitutional issues, statutory issues, etc. It's all in there. Obviously, none of them read what I submitted, but I figured I would start at GO and escalate as necessary. I have a one man "OC Day" in St. Helena every single day I am alive and walk outdoors. It may be low key, but that's pretty much how I live now. I sorta look at it like I carry the sidearm, it doesn't carry me...as corny as that sounds.

georg - I would definitely appreciate any help you can push my way in regard to the declaratory judgment. Any info I have, and help I can give you, you are more than welcome to. The odds of me being able to supply you with any info you don't already have are slim, but again, if I am ever able to assist you with anything, you've got it.

charlie12 - I put the info in the info packet I sent the Jurors, including the actual prior statute as well as the final resolution by the Amite City Council. I have to assume that they paid the same amount of attention to that that they did to the other pileof stuff I put in there. I am not real surprised at all that this is progressing as it has thus far....but, I figured, in my admittedly limited purview of all things legal, that this was the "right way" to go about this.

barf - I'll see what I can find out about why no action was taken. As I said, maybe they figured that if I didn't care enough to show up, they weren't gonna worry with it. That's why I took pains to submit the info I did the way that I did. In hindsight, I shoulda asked about the when and wherefore, and been there. Live and learn, as they say.

Something else I was thinking...though this probably should be another thread:

I wonder why seeking a declaratory judgment may not be a satisfactory available avenue re: "school zone" OC. Especially now with CC law changed the right way. Maybe it's been done. Maybe it's not wise. Could it potentially backfire, setting precedent we don't want set? It seems safe enough - this just at a quick glance at the CCP language regarding others similarly situated, and with no look whatsoever regarding case law or precedent It's hard for me to tell by the ambiguous language who "opts in" to these things, though:

Art. 1880. Parties When declaratory relief is sought, all persons shall be made parties who have or claim any interest which would be affected by the declaration, and no declaration shall prejudice the rights of persons not parties to the proceeding. In a proceeding which involves the validity of a municipal ordinance or franchise, such municipality shall be made a party, and shall be entitled to be heard. If the statute, ordinance, or franchise is alleged to be unconstitutional, the attorney general of the state shall also be served with a copy of the proceeding and be entitled to be heard.
On the one hand, it seems that anyone who has a similar interest is automatically considered a party by default:

...all persons shall be made parties who have (emphasis supplied) or claim any interest which would be affected by the declaration...

OTOH, separately reading within the span of two little words, it may at first seem that a party's inclusion therein in is by specifically considered action:

...all persons shall be made parties who have or claim (emphasis supplied) any interest which would be affected by the declaration...

But, the "or" between "have" and "claim" makes me extremely cautious, however. Cautious enough that I would think it ill advised at this point to pursue same half-cocked and pro se. Well, for someone like me to pursue it pro se, anyway...what I am saying here is that I am merely bringing this up for conversation, not like I was considering something like this. It seems that I have my hands full with the law absolutely on my side, and only dealing with the St. Helena Police Jury.

That said, with the "have or claim" phrase stuck in there, the protective exclusionary language doesn't seem to offer very much protection, does it?

and no declaration shall prejudice the rights of persons not parties to the proceeding.

My (or anyone's) situation regarding "school zone OC" seems to include anyone else similarly situated, whether they actually opt-in or not. So, one would at first think that the foregoing exclusion is useless as well as pointless. But, if so, why roll it into the article? I mean, so one individual's right to OC in a "school zone", if declared as no right to at all in final declaratory judgment, does not affect another's right to carry, oh, say, bananas in a school zone? No, of course not. But, if all others who have the same or similar uncertainties of right are automatically included, then the exclusion offers no safe harbor in the event of an adverse declaratory judgment, does it? Is it ambiguous, or am I just stupid (don't say "both", smartass!);)

In closing, I have to say that as contentious as some of these threads occasionally get, everyone here is more than willing to help, and that pleases me greatly. Some may attribute a tad of "selfishness" in motive to this, but I don't. Even if so...so what? I'll say it again...you guys are all extremely helpful, and I thank you all for your help. Hopefully I may be able to return the favor.

georg jetson

imported post

Amosmoses... GREAT JOB doing your homework AND GREAT questions concerning Art 1871!!!

If I may request that we meet soon at a library so that we might learn a bit more about how to properly prepare a D.J. Obviously as as a Pro Se litigant, this is YOUR baby, but WE CAN learn together the proper procedure PRIOR TO ALERTING ANY INTERESTED PARTIES OF YOUR INTENTIONS!!!

With respect to the injunction (CCP art 3601), it MIGHT be a good idea to include it in the initial petition... but that would be something you could discover at the library...

I encourage every member of this forum to do their own research regarding the discussion points of this thread. The DJ is a powerful tool, but the citizen must learn a GREAT DEAL before being able to use it effectively. Amosmoses concerns are NOT without merit.

Edit - Amosmoses, did you read the Police Jury's rules??

AmosMoses

imported post

Guys,

Ms. Strickland replied to my email in request for placing the item on the agenda of the SHPPJ...and it will be on June 8th at 6:00PM CST ... which sucks somewhat, as I expected to be in Georgia at that point. But, I surely don't want to delay the thing, and I SURE don't want to risk that no one will be there, so I am going to do some checking to see what I can do about my Georgia trip.

It's too important for me have the convenience of missing the meeting, which was surely my screw up last time. I may well be able to contact all these people beforehand...which I need to do either way!

Does this meeting time sound good for others? The GA thing is no mandate, and this is more important, no doubt. So, if this meeting time is good for any of you guys who can/will/want to come, it needs to stay, and I need to do whatever it takes to be here myself. Even though I won't be there to actually address the PJ, I am a resident, and "the instigator" of this, for lack of a better term, so I need to be there.

Does it look like I can count on someone to be there to speak, and does this time look good for others to show up to show support?

Thanks!

AmosMoses

imported post

If we can figure out who may be able to attend to speak up, I will be more than happy to mail him/her a copy of the info packet I sent in to the Police Jury. Not that that person would really need it, you know....mainly just so we could be on the same page, and also so (s)he could see exactly what I proposed to them and what I used as a legal basis to do so.

Thanks again!

georg jetson

imported post

AmosMoses wrote:
Guys,

Ms. Strickland replied to my email in request for placing the item on the agenda of the SHPPJ...and it will be on June 8th at 6:00PM CST ... which sucks somewhat, as I expected to be in Georgia at that point. But, I surely don't want to delay the thing, and I SURE don't want to risk that no one will be there, so I am going to do some checking to see what I can do about my Georgia trip.

It's too important for me have the convenience of missing the meeting, which was surely my screw up last time. I may well be able to contact all these people beforehand...which I need to do either way!

Does this meeting time sound good for others? The GA thing is no mandate, and this is more important, no doubt. So, if this meeting time is good for any of you guys who can/will/want to come, it needs to stay, and I need to do whatever it takes to be here myself. Even though I won't be there to actually address the PJ, I am a resident, and "the instigator" of this, for lack of a better term, so I need to be there.

Does it look like I can count on someone to be there to speak, and does this time look good for others to show up to show support?

Thanks!
AmosMoses,

DID YOU READ THE RULES??? Can you request a date of YOUR convenience? What if no one is there?? CHECK the RULES!!!

AmosMoses

imported post

Georg,

I had requested a set of rules when I emailed them, but, as I see now, you posted the things! I swear I didn't notice that when I first read it! If I hadn't glanced at that spot when I went to reload a page, I still wouldn't have known you linked us to it. I must be going blind. Anyway, I am going to do that right now...literally, just as soon as I hit the "send" button!

I will most definitely be there, unless some emergency happens. I hate to screw up my trip, but this is too important to miss...again! And, obviously, if it boils down to it, and I am the only one there (other than anyone that may just show up for a show of support), well, I'll just do the best I can. I have my fingers crossed, though....

Thanks......

nimrodder

imported post

You are so right in your reply. unfortunatly the LDWF has total and complete control over any and all WMA's and it is NOT open for discussion. I spoke with the head LEO for the DWF just to question this fact and his answer was very simple. We (LDWF) have the final say on WMA's PERIOD. Oh well the State has granted them this authority and it is not likely to change anytime soon.

RS 56:5
[align=justify]§5. General powers and authority [/align]
[align=justify]A. The commission, through its director: [/align]
[align=justify](1) May sue and be sued; and [/align]
[align=justify](2) Shall have and exercise all authority and power as was prescribed by law for the prior commissioner of conservation and the commissioner of wildlife and fisheries in relation to the wildlife of the state, including wild game and nongame quadrupeds or animals, game, oysters, fish, and other aquatic life. [/align]

georg jetson

imported post

nimrodder wrote:
You are so right in your reply. unfortunatly the LDWF has total and complete control over any and all WMA's and it is NOT open for discussion. I spoke with the head LEO for the DWF just to question this fact and his answer was very simple. We (LDWF) have the final say on WMA's PERIOD. Oh well the State has granted them this authority and it is not likely to change anytime soon.

RS 56:5
[align=justify]§5. General powers and authority [/align]
[align=justify]A. The commission, through its director: [/align]
[align=justify](1) May sue and be sued; and [/align]
[align=justify](2) Shall have and exercise all authority and power as was prescribed by law for the prior commissioner of conservation and the commissioner of wildlife and fisheries in relation to the wildlife of the state, including wild game and nongame quadrupeds or animals, game, oysters, fish, and other aquatic life. [/align]
1. What has this got to do with the ST. Helena issue??

2. What the LDWF has to say is IRRELEVANT. THEY DO NOT HAVE THE FINAL SAY!!!!! THE COURTS DO!!!! A proper argument brought to a judicial branch court on appeal from the agency hearing WILL make Mr. arrogant LEO eat his words. Your bold and underlined phrase left out
as was prescribed by law

3. The State CANNOT give authority it does NOT have. There is NO provision in the Const to allow the legislature to regulate Art. 1 Sec. 11 (gee haven't I pointed that out already??). If the state legislature CANT regulate Art 1 Sec 11 then how the hell can it give this authority to a state agency IT CREATED??? The only regulation permitted is the regulation of "concealed on the person".

Let me be clear here... DONT RELY ON LEOs for you LEGAL ADVICE. You relay on YOUR eyes READING the law relevant to your issue and then learn to use the courts to ENFORCE said law... PERIOD!!

Edit - If Sen Hebert's SB 534 passes, then in affect, the legislature is saying that they have the power to regulate but are choosing to NOT regulate on state lands. This is a victory in that the power to cite or arrest for firearm possession by an LEO is removed, however, the REAL issue is whether the state had the authority in the first place... and the answer is NO.

AmosMoses

imported post

Georg,

I read the Admin. Section/Rules.

This issue is set for June 8, 2010, as I noted earlier. I got the reply from Ms. Strickland and I re-checked with her to make sure. It's on the agenda.

Now, she is very helpful, and I have no doubt she would reset it for me if need be. I would love to get it done. I have abandoned my earlier plans, so I am gonna be here. If someone who is willing to help out by addressing the Police Jury in this matter, I can't even begin to tell you how much better I would feel...especially one of the LOCAL officers/members. Obviously, I would be just as thankful if the individual wasn't. If there's a willing person who would be agreeable to it but that is hemmed up or unsure on that day, I'll get with her to change it up. Here's the layout:

The St. Helena Parish Police Jury shall meet in two regular meetings per month. These said meetings' times and dates shall be at 6:00 o'clock p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month and at 6:00 o'clock p.m. on the fourth Tuesday of each month during the calendar year, excepting if the meeting date shall fall on a holiday of the St. Helena Parish Police Jury then the regular meeting shall be rescheduled for the next regular work day following the holiday at 6:00 o'clock p.m. and the second regular meeting date for the month of December shall be on the third Tuesday in December rather than the fourth Tuesday in December. Regular meetings of the St. Helena Parish Police Jury are to be held at its regular meeting place, the Offices of the St. Helena Parish Police Jury located at 17911 Louisiana Highway 43, Greensburg, Louisiana 70441 and the St. Helena Parish Police Jury Secretary-Treasurer is to publish a "Notice To The Public" as to when and where the St. Helena Parish Police Jury will hold its regular meetings in compliance with the Laws of the State of Louisiana and particularly in compliance with the Louisiana Open Meetings Law, as adopted and revised.

So, I guess I am asking if someone is willing to step up for this, and if so, do they need me to change the date of it?

(NOTE: This is unrelated to this thread, but I noticed somewhere an old thread with a poster noting (Maybe LA Carry??) something about receiving LOCAL dues from someone, yet I didn't see anywhere on the LOCAL forum site any reference to becoming a paying member, and for whatever reason, when I try to use the "Contact" link there, it keeps telling me I am typing in the confirmation code wrong (when I see a code, which is about one time in ten). If a LOCAL member sees this and can PM about dues (how much and where to send it), it'll head that way ASAP....tonight, if I can PayPal it.)

IA-Pro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Amos,

There are currently no dues for LOCAL membership, and I think I speak for the organization in that we certainly wouldn't ask for money before we fight an open carry issue. We're concerned citizens just like you.

Our monthly meeting is tonight and we'll be discussing this. Are you able to make it?

georg jetson

imported post

Amosmoses, I cant make the meeting tonight but I'm sure Jerry, IA-pro and the rest of the guys will welcome you. They're all good people.

AmosMoses

imported post

Sorry, guys. I couldn't make it to the LOCAL meeting.

I am hopeful that after the LOCAL meeting, someone may be figuring on attending the St. Helena meeting next week. If so, I'd appreciate it if they could let me know...and let me know what, if anything, they want/need me to do. I am thinking about contacting each Police Jury member, but I want to run that by whoever may be planning on coming, so they can let me know if they need mention of something in particular...or, if for some reason, they DON'T want me to speak with them.

If I'm the only one going, I am going to go ahead and get with these people beforehand. I have already spoken to someone that knows all six personally, and she offered to help me hook up with each one if she can.

IA-Pro - Thanks. I didn't mean to infer that I thought you would require money to come. I apologize if it sounded like that, because that would be a real chickenshit thing to say. I just could have sworn that I had seen an older thread where someone made a reference to another forum poster, saying "If your initial are 'XYZ', I received your dues/money/fee/check/(or whatever) today", and if so, I would have been happy to join up. Clearly, it's not money that is what's really needed to pursue these things...it's people like you all who start and continue these types of organizations, and take of their valuable time and contribute effort toward it. But, generally, there are funds needed if for nothing but bandwidth, other expenses, etc., and I figured that if there was a membership fee, it was, quite literally, the least that I could do, and something I would want to do.

AmosMoses

imported post

The St. Helena Parish Police Jury will meet in Greensburg, LA, on Tuesday, June 8, 2010, at 6:00PM CST, and this matter is set to be on the official agenda...

St. Helena Parish Police Jury Office
17911 Highway 43
Greensburg, LA 70441
225-222-4549

DIRECTIONS From I-55:
-Take the LA-10 W exit, EXIT 53, toward Greensburg.
-Head WEST on LA-10 for 8.3 miles into Greensburg.
(NOTE: Turn LEFT at end of I-55 exit ramp if coming from South (from Hammond, New Orleans), or turn right at end of ramp if coming from North (from Mississippi)).
-Turn RIGHT onto LA-43 (one block past St. Helena Sheriff's Office). Continue to follow LA-43 for 1.1 miles.
-Turn left off of LA-43 into parking lot at St. Helena Parish Police Jury Office (17911 HIGHWAY 43).

DIRECTIONS From Clinton (Can take LA-67/Plank Road heading NORTH from Baton Rouge to Clinton):
-Turn RIGHT off of LA-67/Plank Road onto LA-10 and follow LA-10 22.0 miles into Greensburg
-Turn LEFT onto LA-43 and continue to follow LA-43 for 1.1 miles.
-Turn left off of LA-43 into parking lot at St. Helena Parish Police Jury Office (17911 HIGHWAY 43).

sraacke

imported post

I sent Dan Dzelenka, LSA President a PM pointing him to this thread. I'm hoping he will have some good words of advice and support. When it comes to stuff like this Dan is a good person to ask.

imported post

LOL, why in the world would you even ask anyone with the La. Sheriff's Assn anything?
More specifically, on what topic are you inquiring?
It's pretty clear (at least to me) exactly what needs to be done, no further questions to be addressed.