• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you think of Ruger's SR9C?

open4years

imported post

I never thought I would be seriously considering purchasing a 9mm. But, today's 9mm ammunition packs more 'punch' than older ammunition.

I have Ruger's LCP and I'm pleased by it. I would like to hear from those of you who have, at least, read a review on the SR9C, either from a magazine or on-line. I don't want this to turn into a discussion about 9mm vs other calibers.

The second question is for my curosity. Which do you like best, all black or a black frame and a stainless steel slide? Lastly, do you own one?

That's a lot of questions, so I thank you, in advance, for sharing your input.

Here is some data: it is a smaller version of the SR9. The standard
magazine holds 10 rounds and the larger magazine holds 17. It comes with one of both magazines. Weight is 23.4 oz. Suggested retail is $525, but it can be had for around $380.

A p.s. This will not be my only handgun; It will be number 12 or so.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have a regular SR9 and it is a great gun. I got the OD green frame with the blackened slide. I would bet that the SR9c is also a great gun. As for your other question I would get the black and stainless model for no reason other than looks.

open4years

imported post

Beerme wrote:
great gun but youll wanna get the pinky extension for the magazine

I got the impression from a review in a magazine that it comes with a flat mag base and the base that provides a place for your little finger to rest. I'm assuming that you have the SR9c. How long have you had yours? Maybe they recently started including it, or perhaps more likely - the review got it wrong.

Thanks

open4years

imported post

For the two of you that posted replies, the stainless slide version came in today. I bought it! Retail price is $525, I paid $429 for it. Not as low as I would have liked, but it's okay. I did see it for $380 on the net, but none were in stock.

The pinkie extension comes with it, along with the reversable back strap and a magazine loader. I wanted a black one, but I'm so glad they could only get the stainless version - without waiting a bit. It is one handsome pistol. I probably have 15 handguns, but with exception of my Kimbers, I like tha appearance of this one the most.

Pros and Cons: I'll start with the cons. The plastic on the extended magazine is much lighter in color than the grip. How hard would it have been to use the same polymer so it would match? The grips are like a sticky roller, they easily catch skin cell, etc. But an old toothbrush easily cleaned it. I can not recall the name for this part, so I will embarrass myself. The metal part that covers the ejection port has a very rough, unpolished look to it. Looking at pictures in gun magazines and even the instruction manual, show this is the norm for this pistol. The slide is hard to rack. This may just be me as I've lost at least 60% of my arm strength due to rupured discs, etc.

Pros: It looks great in stainless. Although no night sights were available, I really like the stock sights. The rear sight is adjustable, yet they are low profile enough that it won't easily snag on clothing. I like the loaded chamber indicator. It is on top of the slide a directly behind the ejection port. I'm glad that an extension comes with the 10 round magazine. This gives my little finger a place to park! I also love that it accepts the SR9 17 round magazines.

Now on to the quest of finding a holster, extra 17 round magazine and a laser or a holster that accepts a rail laser.

I was floored by ammunition costs. I had read of how cheap and plentiful 9mm is; Maybe in round nose, but not hollow point! It wasn't my first choice but they had Federaf Hydroshock, also a good choice.

I bought two, 20 round boxes at $24.99 each! I like to at least run a 100 rounds of my carry ammunition through a new gun, in addition to even more in round nose. I may have to alter my plan or find the ammo cheaper on the net.

Bottom line? I'm very happy with it so far. If it shoots as well as gun magazine reviews say, I might add this one to my short list for my carry gun.

For the one person, who read this - thanks!

The grips look great and feel great. It has a reversible backstrap, so it stays with the gun; Rather clever. The trigger feels good.

None2Slow

imported post

On the topic of it being hard to rack, this is normal for small pistols. The spring needs to be stiff to help compensate for the lack of size. There is no room for a full size spring, so they use 2 short springs of different diameters. Upon recoil, 1 will go into the other. The Springfield XD compact .45 is the same way.

yellowsnow

imported post

I carry a Ruger SR9c stainless constantly. I have about 500 rounds through it. It is a fantastic gun that I recommend highly.

It is a very good looking gun (IMO) that shoots very accurately. It has never had a hiccup or failure in the first 500+ rounds I've put through it (everything from HSM factory reloads to Federal, WWB and UMC to Buffalo Bore +P as well as my carry round: Hornaday Critical Defense).

I love the size and weight for everyday carry. It is small yet shoots a large enough defensive round to be more effective than the smaller caliber pistols. It is very slim and the grip is great. I prefer the grip to both the Glock and the XD.

The trigger is as good as any striker fired pistol I've seen. But it's still my least favorite part of the gun. Striker fired pistols will never have as good of triggers as single action pistols. And I started on DA/SA's. That said, it's a pretty good trigger. And I do like the fact that the trigger pull is always the same and I don't have a big hammer to snag stuff with.

I carry it concealed in a SmartCarry holster 90% of the time and the rest in a Kholster IWB or a Fobus paddle. All of these are very good holsters for the SR9c that work very well for their designed use.

For everyday carry it is loaded with 10+1 with the finger extension on the magazine and with an additional SR9 17 rd magazine (without the grip sleeve).

The only modification I have made is to remove the magazine disconnect safety. This takes all of 60 seconds and it is designed by Ruger to be removable (and easily replaced as well). With the magazine disconnect safety removed I can now fire the bullet in the chamber without a magazine in place. I can now also dry fire the pistol without a magazine in place without doing any damage to the pistol.

I also like the fact that ammo is fairly cheap and easy to obtain. For range ammo I pay $9.48 for a box of 50 Federal FMJ at Wal-Mart. You can't complain about that. :)

All in all, I couldn't be happier with this pistol. It's a bargain (I paid $419 at my local Wholesale Sports) and it works very well.