• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

friend wants to OC but scared

kryptonian

imported post

talked today with very good friend of mine - former coworker. he is black/african american. had been telling him about OC when i first found out and he wanted me to be guinea pig to test the law. been telling him for YEARS to go to CPL class. finally going next week. he seems to think that he will be targeted for police scrutiny more than me.
he has nice home, white wife, 2 college degreed good kids, good job, good demeanor, and handles his life better than anyone i know of any race. he has told me about his parenting and all he went thru to produce 2 great kids and i commend him. he's a funny, fun guy to have as a friend and we have 17 years of harassing each other. we have had many conversations about race and have an open dialog holding back nothing and drop any kind of political correctness. he was the strongest reassurance when we all got laid off that everything will be good again. at my surprise 40th birthday party one of my relatives called him the N word. he respectfully handed me his drink and said he was leaving. i apologized but he left saying if it were anybody elses family he would have reacted. he lives in superior township.
all my reassurances didn't do any good to sway him (yet). maybe i'm being too idealistic about society. i have a bunch of friends that all want to take the class and get CPL or open carry but just have lists of excuses. i say don't wait to be a victim until you act. it will be too late. it's a personal choice to OC or not. if asked for a show of hands at CPL class you would find several people who were recently victims of some sort.
any input would help. would any race other than white realistically be targeted more for OC check? would MWAG calls be called in differently? i'm sure your location might be a factor but please comment. thanks

WARCHILD

imported post

You didn't say what area he is in, but yes, area and his race will be a factor.
Unfortunately in the land of the free....we all are not.

Especially in the Flint area with the current crime issues there; 9 murders in less than 30 days.

If you are close enough let me know, I'll walk with him.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

does he have a video phone? if so maybe he can record you being q character witness so the cops know he is "a law abiding black dude"

yeah, that's sarcasm because I actually see a lot of discrimination in your post toward your friend. as if you are trying to justify him being able to oc.

I don't give a rats ass if you're white, black, green, yellow, brown or what, if you can carry a gun, do it. is your friend right to assume he will be discriminated against? sad truth is, probably, I think a lot of us are discriminated against because of what we do.

your friend would beat any case in court, of course, as would anyone lawfully carrying, the questionyour friend needs to ask himself, does he have the courage, not the color to stand up for his god given rights?

I am offended, as I hope your friend would be the way you gave background information on him, my opinion of your post is that you're saying "ok i know black people shouldn't carry guns, but since I know this black guy and I know he's good, will he be discriminated against?". that's the wrong mentality to have. good luck to your friend

eastmeyers

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
does he have a video phone? if so maybe he can record you being q character witness so the cops know he is "a law abiding black dude"

yeah, that's sarcasm because I actually see a lot of discrimination in your post toward your friend. as if you are trying to justify him being able to oc.

I don't give a rats ass if you're white, black, green, yellow, brown or what, if you can carry a gun, do it. is your friend right to assume he will be discriminated against? sad truth is, probably, I think a lot of us are discriminated against because of what we do.

your friend would beat any case in court, of course, as would anyone lawfully carrying, the questionyour friend needs to ask himself, does he have the courage, not the color to stand up for his god given rights?

I am offended, as I hope your friend would be the way you gave background information on him, my opinion of your post is that you're saying "ok i know black people shouldn't carry guns, but since I know this black guy and I know he's good, will he be discriminated against?". that's the wrong mentality to have. good luck to your friend

It is my personal experience that anyone who SCREAMS RACISM is a racist, just sayin, I hope this is not the case.

God Bless

kyleplusitunes

imported post

oh, I didn't mean to imply i was not or was racist. I grew up in shiawassee county, and live now in downtown flint, you can make whatever inferences from that you like, I'm just saying.

Slave

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
oh, I didn't mean to imply i was not or was racist. I grew up in shiawassee county, and live now in downtown flint, you can make whatever inferences from that you like, I'm just saying.

Downtown where?? I live close enough, the three of us can OC together.

As i person of color, I think he will be discriminated against, it's a sad fact that brown people are targetted.

That being said, he needs to not be afraid, and stand up for what he believes in.

kryptonian

imported post

didn't mean to stir up stuff - i just sought some insight. he could easily stand up for his rights when he chooses to OC if he's armed with the legal knowledge. he's the one that sent me this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-JZ...4511897A4&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=3

i don't see hispanic, arab, indian, native american or oriental OCers at any of the get togethers or on youtube or even women represented. maybe in our efforts to mainstream OC we should make an effort to reach out to them.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

kryptonian wrote:
didn't mean to stir up stuff - i just sought some insight. he could easily stand up for his rights when he chooses to OC if he's armed with the legal knowledge. he's the one that sent me this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-JZtPQh0FQ&feature=PlayList&p=1A31E3B4511897A4&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=3

i don't see hispanic, arab, indian, native american or oriental OCers at any of the get togethers or on youtube or even women represented. maybe in our efforts to mainstream OC we should make an effort to reach out to them.
I've seen all of the above, maybe you should attend more get togethers? :)

PDinDetroit

imported post

dougwg wrote:
kryptonian wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-JZtPQh0FQ&feature=PlayList&p=1A31E3B4511897A4&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=3

I've seen all of the above, maybe you should attend more get togethers? :)
Some of us are "genetic mutts" as it were, so you can't judge a book by it's cover! ;)

DanM

imported post

"friend wants to OC but scared"

Many of us did our first OC at a gathering, due to "first-timer" jitters about it. I'm included.

Let your friend know he is not alone in feeling this way, it is a natural and common feeling, and he is warmly invited by all of us to come to our gatherings. And he doesn't have to carry until he feels comfortabledoing so.

kryptonian

imported post

i'll tell him. he would probably go. if not - at least he would OC with me. if you watched the chris rock video - i'm the white friend LOL. thanks for input guys. thought something about it should be explored. i'm a white male and to be politically correct the only demographic i can comment on is white males. wonder if women OCers get WWAG calls. if attractive the police would have cause to stop and hit on them. bronson you better look out. your girlfriend is hot.
one thing i learned in law enforcement is that an assailant mistakenly thinks that a woman wouldn't shoot or he could get her gun away from them. when hurricane katrina hit new orleans most displaced moved to houston with their govt credit cards. crime SOARED. harris county averaged one shot every day for months. 3 tried to carjack an off duty female deputy sheriff. picked the wrong car. she shot all dead before they could get off one shot.

sevenplusone

imported post

kryptonian wrote:
i'll tell him. he would probably go. if not - at least he would OC with me. if you watched the chris rock video - i'm the white friend LOL. thanks for input guys. thought something about it should be explored. i'm a white male and to be politically correct the only demographic i can comment on is white males. wonder if women OCers get WWAG calls. if attractive the police would have cause to stop and hit on them. bronson you better look out. your girlfriend is hot.
one thing i learned in law enforcement is that an assailant mistakenly thinks that a woman wouldn't shoot or he could get her gun away from them. when hurricane katrina hit new orleans most displaced moved to houston with their govt credit cards. crime SOARED. harris county averaged one shot every day for months. 3 tried to carjack an off duty female deputy sheriff. picked the wrong car. she shot all dead before they could get off one shot.
My mother is the only person in my family who has pulled a gun in anger.