• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

80 year old man kills intruder

anyamaboy

imported post

An Army Vet, a gun, a dead intruder, and an Obama T-shirt (mentioned in the Sun-Times)?
What's wrong with this picture?

Anyways... Thank you for serving our country and standing up to defend yourself and your family!

Haz.

imported post

We had a similar event here down under in 2003. The elderly man, luckily,was not charged, because as police stated, and I am not kidding, the elderly man was not waiting to pop a shot?

"Police in Perth have decided not to charge a 77-year-old man who shot an intruder during an alleged burglary at his home in Herne Hill."

One of the perps, thescumwho was shotwas released on $2000 bail? Just makes one so mad.

Haz.

Elderly man who shot home intruder will not be charged
Posted Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:17pm AEDT
Updated Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:08pm AEDT

Mr Valenti will not be charged over shooting at his home.

Police in Perth have decided not to charge a 77-year-old man who shot an intruder during an alleged burglary at his home in Herne Hill.

Police say two intruders forced their way into the home of Eugene Valenti and his bed-ridden wife last Wednesday night.

They say Mr Valenti armed himself with a shotgun, locked himself and his wife in a bedroom and warned the men he was armed.

The men forced their way in and, in the ensuing struggle, a shot was fired, wounding one of them.

Police believe Mr Valenti used reasonable force defending himself and his invalid wife and say his version of events is supported by forensic evidence gathered at the scene.

Inspector Bill Munnee says Mr Valenti discharged the shot during a struggle with the offenders.

"So it wasn't like Mr Valenti was waiting to do a pop shot as they were running away or before they even came in," he said.

"He gave them plenty of warning before they entered his bedroom that he had a firearm, please don't come in.

"When he was telling me the story it was like a scene out of a horror movie, it was your worst nightmare.

"He had a bed-ridden wife and he had nothing else to defend himself with and there was violent force used to enter his property and his door was kicked open."

Court appearance

An 18-year-old man charged over the home invasion has appeared in the Midland Magistrates Courts.

Michael Shane Guppy is alleged to have punched Mr Valenti after breaking into the premises with a 35-year-old man, who was shot in the stomach during the ordeal.

Mr Guppy has been released on bail of $2,000.

He is due back in court next month.

Haz.

imported post

No, were not kidding, only in Australia. Police were still investigating and could not say if any charges would be laid against Valenti.
Haz.

No decision on shooting charges
20/Feb/2009

By Lucy Rickard, Midland Reporter.

POLICE are still uncertain if they will charge a 77-year-old winery owner for shooting one of two men who broke into his Herne Hill home on Wednesday night.
style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt"Eugenio Valenti barricaded himself and his incapacitated wife in the bedroom of their Campersic Road home after hearing intruders smash their way through the back door about 9.40pm.

style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt"After warning the intruders that he was armed, the two men broke down the bedroom door and a shot was fired by Mr valenti into the abdomen of one the men.

Following this, a struggle broke out and Mr Valenti was overpowered by the second man and hit with the gun.

Mr Valenti suffered a broken hand, concussion, cuts and bruising to his head in the attack.

Police said a 35-year-old man with a gunshot wound presented himself at Swan Districts Hospital a short time later. He is now under police guard in Royal Perth Hospital following surgery.

He has been charged with aggravated burglary and aggravated assault occasioning bodily harm following the incident.

He remains under police guard in hospital where he is recovery from a gunshot wound to the stomach.
Midland Detective Andy Southall said one shot was fired from the 12-gauge shotgun licensed to Mr Valenti. He said it did not appear the intruders had stolen anything.

Det Southall said police were still investigating and could not say if any charges would be laid against Valenti.

“People have a right to defend their property with reasonable force,” Det Southall said. “In such a violent encounter, they’re all lucky to be alive.”

style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt"Former Attorney General Jim McGinty said people had the right to defend themselves and Mr Valenti should not be charged under current legislation.

"As all the facts are Mr Valenti should not be charged," Mr McGinty said.

"Mr Valenti was exercising his right, under the law, to defend himself and his wife,

"The law is clear about that.

"Unless there is more information that is not in the public arena, there is no reason Mr Valenti should or need be charged."

Det Southall said they were reviewing footage from the hospital to identify the second offender, who is still not known.

Mr Valenti’s granddaughter, Belinda Coniglio, said the property had been broken into several times, most recently in December.

“They are both obviously very shaken by this and are extremely traumatised,” Ms Coniglio said.

“My grandfather feels like he has been targeted.”

Mr Valenti has lived on the property for nearly 40 years, running the family business Vino Italia winery.

Haz.

imported post

zack991 wrote:
Well that is another craphole I will never see or waste money on.

If you mean Aus., I totally agree. I wouldn't advise anyone to visit here anytime. IfI could I personally would move to the US in a heartbeat.

Haz.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Haz. quoted:
Police in Perth have decided not to charge a 77-year-old man who shot an intruder during an alleged burglary at his home in Herne Hill...

..."So it wasn't like Mr Valenti was waiting to do a pop shot as they were running away or before they even came in," he said.

In the run-up to the American Revolution, one of the colonists' biggest complaints was writs of assistance. Writs of assistance were basically blank-check general warrants that allowed customs agents (who were thick on the ground) to search anywhere on their own judgement for uncustomed goods while calling upon local citizens to assistthem.

In one city, one fine afternoon, the customs agents went after a local business. The owner barricaded himself inside. A crowd gathered. Things got unpleasant. The customs agents decided that if they tried to force the issue and called for assistance, there might be bloodshed--theirs. The customs agents retired from the scene.

The Perth police decided not to presscharges againstthe elderly fellow. Of course, they decided that. But, I'll bet even money it was not because the elderly fellow was not "waiting to do a pop shot..."

Same reason Chicago is not prosecuting the righteous citizens who shot bad guys recently. I think the count is now up to three shootings by citizen defenders just in the last few weeks.