• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When to engage?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

galbrecht71 wrote:
One main thing that has yet to be really settled in my mind though is when one should engage in a situation to protect someone other than yourself, whether that be family, friend, or stranger.
The two biggest challenges in engaging on behalf of another seem to be:

1-KNOWING for sure who is the victim and who is the criminal; and,

2-Mitigating physical risks to yourself whether from the attacker, an accomplice, or the responding police.

We've all heard the stories of some guy "assaulting" a woman only to learn a few moments later he was an under-cover cop and she was some violent felon. We've considered the scenarios of rendering aid to a convenience store clerk only to find out the hard way he had an unseen accomplice behind us.

Bearing this in mind, I will intervene sooner on behalf of a family member than I will on behalf of a stranger. I KNOW who the victim is if someone assaults my wife or child. And I'm willing to accept any physical risk to protect them.

Charles