• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Demon Law

steveman01

imported post

I was watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElHCW2fin4E&feature=related

I don't remember what part it was cause there is like nine parts to the vid. But the officer (i'm guessing Chief) in the vid said something like "since OC is legal, the no firearms signs on privatebusinesses would be void, and only CC'ers could be stopped from entering/shopping". Now we know that's a lie because it would only apply to public property. But it got me thinking. The "supreme" court ruled that the state could not regulate both OC and CC but only one or the other, right? (If someone knows where please cite, cause I forgot) In which they chose to regulate CC, (good choice IMO, neither would be better) so that is why OC cannot be "regulated".

I guess what I'm trying to say is all this time I thought I would be breaking the law towithin a 1,000 feet of a"public demonstration" ( Alabama Code 13A-11-59). Until it hit me right in the face.

The fact is that law can only apply to CC!!!:celebrateDue to lack of constitutional power!

Good thing I watched that vid, I'd of never thunk this.

Anyone care to get the AG's opinion on this? (I'm going out of state tomorrow)

If they try to say it goes for OC too, Any able/willing to file suite? (you don't have to get arrested first like many think).

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

steveman01 wrote:
I was watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElHCW2fin4E&feature=related

I don't remember what part it was cause there is like nine parts to the vid. But the officer (i'm guessing Chief) in the vid said something like "since OC is legal, the no firearms signs on privatebusinesses would be void, and only CC'ers could be stopped from entering/shopping". Now we know that's a lie because it would only apply to public property. But it got me thinking. The "supreme" court ruled that the state could not regulate both OC and CC but only one or the other, right? (If someone knows where please cite, cause I forgot) In which they chose to regulate CC, (good choice IMO, neither would be better) so that is why OC cannot be "regulated".

I guess what I'm trying to say is all this time I thought I would be breaking the law to go near a "public gathering". Until it hit me right in the face.

The fact is that law can only apply to CC!!!:celebrateDue to lack of constitutional power!

Good thing I watched that vid, I'd of never thunk this.

Anyone care to get the AG's opinion on this? (I'm going out of state tomorrow)

If they try to say it goes for OC too, Any able/willing to file suite? (you don't have to get arrested first like many think).
I really like this idea. Why hasn't anyone else replied to it?

eye95

imported post

He is attempting to abbreviate "public demonstration." In Alabama, it is illegal to carry while attending a demonstration or, if notified by a LEO that a demonstration is going on, carry within 1000 feet of a demonstration.

steveman01

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Okay, "public demonstration" makes a lot more sense then "public demon," but I was prepared to look up "witch doctor" in the telephone book just in case.
:lol:I used "public demon" because I thought it fit the "profile". This public gathering (demonstration) law makesusout to bea public demon, so I knick-named it.

Kingfish

imported post

A "public gathering" is not the same as a "public demonstration".

When you mention "public gathering" it conjures images of Georgia's very recently changed law where it was unlawful to carry just about anywhere or within 200 yards of the premises of just about anywhere.

Alabama law is concerning DEMONSTRATIONS and nothing more.

4 : a public display of group feelings toward a person or cause

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

kingfish wrote:
A "public gathering" is not the same as a "public demonstration".

When you mention "public gathering" it conjures images of Georgia's very recently changed law where it was unlawful to carry just about anywhere or within 200 yards of the premises of just about anywhere.

Alabama law is concerning DEMONSTRATIONS and nothing more.

4 : a public display of group feelings toward a person or cause

That is a dangerous definition. So, if we all show up to Starbucks with OCDO t-shirts on, it would be a demonstration. This leaves WAY to much discretion to the LEOs.

steveman01

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
That is a dangerous definition. So, if we all show up to Starbucks with OCDO t-shirts on, it would be a demonstration. This leaves WAY to much discretion to the LEOs.
Exactly! OC with political/religious sign in hand and BAM your done for....It's not the definition that is dangerous, it is the law and law enforcers that is.

Kingfish

imported post

Think about why the law was written and the way it is written.

It is a holdover from the Jim Crow days.

The idea was to keep the undesirables in their place. It was never intended to be used against the good 'ol boys.

So yes, it COULD be used against a single person with a political t-shirt.

Get your law repealed!!!!

aadvark

imported post

That is part of the problem with Public Officials..., they think they have ALL of the Authority that there is to be had.

I called The City of Tuscaloosa about this matter and they were very rude to me.

Maybe Alabama will follow Georgia and repeal Code of Alabama 1975 13A-11-59, in much the same way Georgia repealed Georgia Code 16-11-127.