Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Having an issue with OC need advice

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    To start off, I've been following this Open Carry for awhile and really support it. A friend and I decided to give it a shot. We both grew up around guns and hunting so we know how to safely handle firearms. I'm 19 and just got a Smith and Wesson M&P40 mainly for Backpacking and hiking and also to TRY OC out. I don't have to much support from my family. I just got the gun today and ever since I've been getting phone calls from family members cursing me out and saying I'm going to get shot or arrested on site by police. They keep threatening me saying they will call the cops to come out and tell me it's illegal. My mom has a sheriff friend and he said it's illegal in sparks/Reno Nevada which I know it's not. I know there's places that it's not allowed and I've been reading the laws and feel comfortable on knowing them. So, I'm posting this to get any advice you guys may have for me. I really don't know how to explain it to my family since they won't let me talk or twist my words around. I just need some help here. Any help would be APPRECIATED!!!

    Thanks, TyNV

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    500

    Post imported post

    just do it until its normal. you'll get used to it. the haters will eventually get tired of the effort

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    Print out all the Nevada laws that pertain to OC, especially anything that the state constitution might say about guns. Highlight the most relevant parts and mail copies to all your relatives.

  4. #4
    Regular Member MarlboroLts5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    407

    Post imported post

    Here's an idea.....show them around this site. Take them thru some of the threads aboutself defense, the different laws in the states. Show them statistics of crime in areas where carrying openly or concealed is outlawed...Chicago, DC....areas where it may be partially "allowed"...California, for example. Educate them, prove to them that you've done your research, and you know what your talking about.

    Most of all....dispel their fears and the myths with proven, documented facts. The best place to get any of that is right here.
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

    -Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    guntersville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    TyNV wrote:
    I'm 19 and just got a Smith and Wesson M&P40 mainly for Backpacking and hiking and also to TRY OC out.:celebrateCongrats!
    I don't have to much support from my family. Bummer
    I've been getting phone calls from family members cursing me out and saying I'm going to get shot or arrested on site by police. Don't rule it out! Pay Attn. But don't let it get to you. This is one of the many reason's we OC (to inform). "When the people fear their government there is tyranny"!!
    They keep threatening me saying they will call the cops to come out and tell me it's illegal. Who cares? tell them you'll call a lawyer to come out pack'n and tell them it's LEGAL...:shock:
    My mom has a sheriff friend and he said it's illegal in sparks/Reno Nevada which I know it's not. I know there's places that it's not allowed and I've been reading the laws and feel comfortable on knowing them. Good! Cause if your not comfortable, your not ready... The last thing you want to do is tote around a gun sweating, shaking, pale as a ghost, and ready to vomit...you'll be more likely to get shot looking like a junkysearchin' for a fixthan a LAC...just be cool man...Smoke a joint if you have too....JUST KIDDING hahaha

    Try doing instead of talking, once they see everything go smoothly they'll come around. If they're Hoplophobes, then it's hopeless. Just go on and do whatcha gotta do. They're just scared and the only way to fix it, is to show them there is nothing to be afraid of (after all, your carrying a freakin gun!). Also just make sure your prepared to use it mentally.

    Try this on for size: Weighing the Pro's and Con's...

    I would rather getkidnapped forOC than get shot, butt raped, and sent to loony bin to "deal with my problems".

    I would rather be dead than live knowing I will never be able to exercise the essential liberty and god given right to carry a weapon!

    Then recommend some reading material for them, like John Lock, Thomas Jefferson, the Declaration of Independence, and constitutions, ect.

    Then OC your *ss off, wait for the :what:,and be cool man!!!


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    guntersville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    DOUBLE POST...SoRY

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    steveman01 wrote:
    DOUBLE POST...SoRY
    No problem. I really liked your advice and I did listen to everyone who called me since that was the only thing I was able to do ( I could not get one word in) and I've weighed the pro's and con's. I still support the idea and feel comfortable trying it out and tend to do so.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    Well let's see, you 19, that makes you a legal adult.

    Tell those family members you are an adult and will do what YOU want and they can't stop you. If they call you up to cuss you out about OC, hang up on them.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Valdosta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    I seriously doubt that you will ever change your family's opinion about firearms. Unless you have some sort of mental problem, their behaviour seems very extreme to me. Are they afraid of firearms and anti-gun or is their concern about you having a firearm? Do you have children that they may have concerns for?

    I don't mean to be nosey, but how you handle the situation depends on which of those is their concern. Since you purchased a firearm, I would assume you aren't a felon! If their concern is your being new to firearms, if that is true, enroll in a course.

    If they are anti-gun, I don't see it improving until they tire of harrassing you over your ownership of a firearm; If they ever do.

    This won't change your situation, but you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    guntersville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    TyNV wrote:
    I really liked your adviceGlad we could help
    I've weighed the pro's and con's. I actually meant that (and everything following)to be for your argument to your family(when you get an ear) you throw in the pro's and let them throw in the con's and show them who's list is biggerThen start the reading recommendations. If it all works out they'll follow your footsteps.(They gotta watch you jump first) I'm happy to know there is a new OC'er out there. Enjoy your new found safety and freedom!
    Let us know how it goes....

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    open4years wrote:
    I seriously doubt that you will ever change your family's opinion about firearms. Unless you have some sort of mental problem, their behaviour seems very extreme to me. Are they afraid of firearms and anti-gun or is their concern about you having a firearm? Do you have children that they may have concerns for?

    I don't mean to be nosey, but how you handle the situation depends on which of those is their concern. Since you purchased a firearm, I would assume you aren't a felon! If their concern is your being new to firearms, if that is true, enroll in a course.

    If they are anti-gun, I don't see it improving until they tire of harrassing you over your ownership of a firearm; If they ever do.

    This won't change your situation, but you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.
    I seriously doubt I'll change their views also. It's my mom side of the family that's mostly anti-gun. My dad got me the gun since I wanted it for hiking and backpacking mostly ( we have tons of mountain lions and some other problems out here). I also wanted to try out OC. I've been around guns my whole life (Weatherby Vanguard .30-06, Remington VLS .223, etc) this isn't my first gun. Also, I do not have children.


  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    guntersville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    open4years wrote:
    you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.

    Absolutely not!!! Because of them we got the "gun control act", they wrote it. They just in it for the $$$$, give it to someone else.

    See thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/43544.html


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    steveman01 wrote:
    open4years wrote:
    you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.
    Absolutely not!!! Because of them we got the "gun control act", they wrote it. They just in it for the $$$$, give it to someone else.
    I'm not a member of the NRA and do not plan on joining for awhile.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Valdosta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    I seriously doubt that you will ever change your family's opinion about firearms. Unless you have some sort of mental problem, their behaviour seems very extreme to me. Are they afraid of firearms and anti-gun or is their concern about you having a firearm? Do you have children that they may have concerns for?

    I don't mean to be nosey, but how you handle the situation depends on which of those is their concern. Since you purchased a firearm, I would assume you aren't a felon! If their concern is your being new to firearms, if that is true, enroll in a course.

    If they are anti-gun, I don't see it improving until they tire of harrassing you over your ownership of a firearm; If they ever do.

    This won't change your situation, but you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Valdosta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    My apologies for the double post. My browser locked up.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Valdosta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    TyNV wrote:
    open4years wrote:
    I seriously doubt that you will ever change your family's opinion about firearms. Unless you have some sort of mental problem, their behaviour seems very extreme to me. Are they afraid of firearms and anti-gun or is their concern about you having a firearm? Do you have children that they may have concerns for?

    I don't mean to be nosey, but how you handle the situation depends on which of those is their concern. Since you purchased a firearm, I would assume you aren't a felon! If their concern is your being new to firearms, if that is true, enroll in a course.

    If they are anti-gun, I don't see it improving until they tire of harrassing you over your ownership of a firearm; If they ever do.

    This won't change your situation, but you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.
    I seriously doubt I'll change their views also. It's my mom side of the family that's mostly anti-gun. My dad got me the gun since I wanted it for hiking and backpacking mostly ( we
    have tons of mountain lions and some other problems out here). I also wanted to try out OC. I've been around guns my whole life (Weatherby Vanguard .30-06, Remington VLS .223, etc) this isn't my first gun.* Also, I do not have children.
    Something doesn't compute for me. You said your Dad is fine with guns and bought you this handgun. So, I assume that either your parents are divorced, or will be getting one soon!

    Since you've been around guns your whole life AND you have valid reasons for SD, just from animals alone, why the problem? You mentioned some long guns, have you ever owned a handgun before?

    More questions! Did you tell your family that you intend to OC this gun? What are they saying to you? Is it "you don't need a pistol" or "if you carry that gun around, you're going to get in trouble" or "you will end up shooting yourself from messing around with that gun"??

    I honestly feel for you. I have a sister and her husband that want to make my life h---. If I bought something, they would put it down, etc.

    I won't bore you with the details, but it reached a point where life was miserable. I cut off all contact with them. That was 5 years ago. All I have is my 80 year old Mom in a nearby town, but I found peace.

    I hope you find peace too. If someone wouldn't let me say a word, I would tell them to call me back when we can have a conversation as I would like to share my thoughts and feelings with you.

    So, you've

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    560

    Post imported post

    My advice to you is to get a good retention holster, and practice drawing from it till you're confident that you can do so without a hitch. With OC, you'll be in public places, and the extra protection of someone else not being able to just slip your pistol out of the holster is pretty helpful.

    As for dealing with your family, how about email? They won't let you get a word in edgewise, but if you can shoot out a batch email addressing their concerns with facts and proof, then perhaps they'll respond via email (thus allowing you to respond back, and a conversation is born), or at least you'll have some solid info delivered to them for them to think about. Then when they call you to gripe, you can do a broken record routine "did you read the email? then call me back when you do".

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    Just do it.

    But, do it for the right reasons.

    Make sure that you are not trying to show anyone anything. You are OCing because it is lawful, because you have trained in the handling of your handgun, and because you want to have it handy should the need to use it arise. Be prepared to be the cooler head in every situation, particularly if the situation involves an uninformed LEO challenging your right to carry. Always be polite. The most disarming action you can ever take is being courteous to others.

    Just my 40% of a nickel.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    330

    Post imported post

    I am curious about how the family found out and why they have decided to contact and threaten you. If they do infact call the cops in order to have you arrested, I would think about filing charges against them for ..............Dang, I had it and as soon as I got ready to type it, it was gone. There is a charge you can bring them up on if they keep bothering you and do infact call the cops just to have you arrested for legal OC. If I think of it, I'll get back to you.

    In other words turn the tables on them. Otherwise go about your daily business with the confidence and knowledge that it is completly legal and sane to carry. Use a good retention holster, possibly something with a thumb-break and practice your draw.

    Good luck and carry on.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    open4years wrote:
    TyNV wrote:
    open4years wrote:
    I seriously doubt that you will ever change your family's opinion about firearms. Unless you have some sort of mental problem, their behaviour seems very extreme to me. Are they afraid of firearms and anti-gun or is their concern about you having a firearm? Do you have children that they may have concerns for?

    I don't mean to be nosey, but how you handle the situation depends on which of those is their concern. Since you purchased a firearm, I would assume you aren't a felon! If their concern is your being new to firearms, if that is true, enroll in a course.

    If they are anti-gun, I don't see it improving until they tire of harrassing you over your ownership of a firearm; If they ever do.

    This won't change your situation, but you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.
    I seriously doubt I'll change their views also. It's my mom side of the family that's mostly anti-gun. My dad got me the gun since I wanted it for hiking and backpacking mostly ( we
    have tons of mountain lions and some other problems out here). I also wanted to try out OC. I've been around guns my whole life (Weatherby Vanguard .30-06, Remington VLS .223, etc) this isn't my first gun. Also, I do not have children.
    Something doesn't compute for me. You said your Dad is fine with guns and bought you this handgun. So, I assume that either your parents are divorced, or will be getting one soon!

    Since you've been around guns your whole life AND you have valid reasons for SD, just from animals alone, why the problem? You mentioned some long guns, have you ever owned a handgun before?

    More questions! Did you tell your family that you intend to OC this gun? What are they saying to you? Is it "you don't need a pistol" or "if you carry that gun around, you're going to get in trouble" or "you will end up shooting yourself from messing around with that gun"??

    I honestly feel for you. I have a sister and her husband that want to make my life h---. If I bought something, they would put it down, etc.

    I won't bore you with the details, but it reached a point where life was miserable. I cut off all contact with them. That was 5 years ago. All I have is my 80 year old Mom in a nearby town, but I found peace.

    I hope you find peace too. If someone wouldn't let me say a word, I would tell them to call me back when we can have a conversation as I would like to share my thoughts and feelings with you.

    So, you've
    My parents are divorced.

    I mostly have long guns for hunting and I do own a Browning Buckmard .22. I love that thing for target shooting.

    I did tell my family that I wanted to try out OC. The weird part was they were fine until I actually got the gun. That's when things hit the fan. My dad knows the firearm is mostly for Hiking and backpacking trips, but, the others think it's all for OC and don't believe me it's mostly for Hiking. They did say "Your going to get shot or arrested on site by police". They think the worse out of everything they encounter.

    I'm taking your advice about "I would tell them to call me back" to hear my view and opinion.

    Thanks for the post! I really Appreciate it.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    Just do it.

    But, do it for the right reasons.

    Make sure that you are not trying to show anyone anything. You are OCing because it is lawful, because you have trained in the handling of your handgun, and because you want to have it handy should the need to use it arise. Be prepared to be the cooler head in every situation, particularly if the situation involves an uninformed LEO challenging your right to carry. Always be polite. The most disarming action you can ever take is being courteous to others.

    Just my 40% of a nickel.
    Thanks. I understand everything you said.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,250

    Post imported post

    Original Poster.. This is easy. I'm a young man too so I understand. First inform them of the law and it's language by phone- not by mail. Be prepared to impress your family members, first- by reciting word for word your authority under the law. Second, explain that you are not paranoid- yet do provide reasons as to why your safety is in jeopardy. "My neighbors car was just vandalized." or "A place in my complex was robbed in broad daylight!" or something similar. You first need to inform them of the authority and then inform them of the risks.

    Remember that some of them won't get it. Maybe some cousins will but your uncle Bill doesn't. Or your mom and dad get it but your grandparents refuse it..

    You'll have to live with that. Like tattoos or piercings- it's not for everybody. Try your best to respect their wishes. If certain family members don't like you carrying your pistol- please don't OC over their house for Thanksgiving dinner. Just leave it in the car or what-have-you. This will keep the pressure off the remaining supportive family members.

    When it's all said and done you'll have to agree to disagree with a few people and come to terms with it.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    31

    Post imported post

    rmansu2 wrote:
    I am curious about how the family found out and why they have decided to contact and threaten you. If they do infact call the cops in order to have you arrested, I would think about filing charges against them for ..............Dang, I had it and as soon as I got ready to type it, it was gone. There is a charge you can bring them up on if they keep bothering you and do infact call the cops just to have you arrested for legal OC. If I think of it, I'll get back to you.

    In other words turn the tables on them. Otherwise go about your daily business with the confidence and knowledge that it is completly legal and sane to carry. Use a good retention holster, possibly something with a thumb-break and practice your draw.

    Good luck and carry on.
    My mom called everyone and then I started to get phone calls that were nothing more than cursing and yelling( by them) I just listened.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    95

    Post imported post

    TyNV wrote:
    My mom called everyone and then I started to get phone calls that were nothing more than cursing and yelling( by them) I just listened.
    If it's legal to do so in your state, record the calls.
    Play 'em back at the next family gathering; just sit there and grin.

    Then mention the laws about telephone threats, harassment, that nice detective you talked to, and jail time...

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,250

    Post imported post

    No don't "take on" your family members. That's bananas. Nuts! Stay safe and keep open carrying. Keep your family members near at heart. At the age of nineteen, you will still need your family for many many many years to come. You will rely on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •