• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Having an issue with OC need advice

TyNV

imported post

To start off, I've been following this Open Carry for awhile and really support it. A friend and I decided to give it a shot. We both grew up around guns and hunting so we know how to safely handle firearms. I'm 19 and just got a Smith and Wesson M&P40 mainly for Backpacking and hiking and also to TRY OC out. I don't have to much support from my family. I just got the gun today and ever since I've been getting phone calls from family members cursing me out and saying I'm going to get shot or arrested on site by police. They keep threatening me saying they will call the cops to come out and tell me it's illegal. My mom has a sheriff friend and he said it's illegal in sparks/Reno Nevada which I know it's not. I know there's places that it's not allowed and I've been reading the laws and feel comfortable on knowing them. So, I'm posting this to get any advice you guys may have for me. I really don't know how to explain it to my family since they won't let me talk or twist my words around. I just need some help here. Any help would be APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks, TyNV

bomber

imported post

just do it until its normal. you'll get used to it. the haters will eventually get tired of the effort

Flyer22

imported post

Print out all the Nevada laws that pertain to OC, especially anything that the state constitution might say about guns. Highlight the most relevant parts and mail copies to all your relatives.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Here's an idea.....show them around this site. Take them thru some of the threads aboutself defense, the different laws in the states. Show them statistics of crime in areas where carrying openly or concealed is outlawed...Chicago, DC....areas where it may be partially "allowed"...California, for example. Educate them, prove to them that you've done your research, and you know what your talking about.

Most of all....dispel their fears and the myths with proven, documented facts. The best place to get any of that is right here.

steveman01

imported post

TyNV wrote:
I'm 19 and just got a Smith and Wesson M&P40 mainly for Backpacking and hiking and also to TRY OC out.:celebrateCongrats!
I don't have to much support from my family. :cry:Bummer
I've been getting phone calls from family members cursing me out and saying I'm going to get shot or arrested on site by police. Don't rule it out! Pay Attn. But don't let it get to you. This is one of the many reason's we OC (to inform). "When the people fear their government there is tyranny"!!
They keep threatening me saying they will call the cops to come out and tell me it's illegal. Who cares? tell them you'll call a lawyer to come out pack'n and tell them it's LEGAL...:shock:
My mom has a sheriff friend and he said it's illegal in sparks/Reno Nevada which I know it's not. I know there's places that it's not allowed and I've been reading the laws and feel comfortable on knowing them. Good! Cause if your not comfortable, your not ready... The last thing you want to do is tote around a gun sweating, shaking, pale as a ghost, and ready to vomit...you'll be more likely to get shot looking like a junkysearchin' for a fixthan a LAC...just be cool man...:cool:Smoke a joint if you have too....JUST KIDDING hahaha:lol:

Try doing instead of talking, once they see everything go smoothly they'll come around. If they're Hoplophobes, then it's hopeless. Just go on and do whatcha gotta do. They're just scared and the only way to fix it, is to show them there is nothing to be afraid of (after all, your carrying a freakin gun!). Also just make sure your prepared to use it mentally.

Try this on for size: Weighing the Pro's and Con's...

I would rather getkidnapped forOC than get shot, butt raped, and sent to loony bin to "deal with my problems".

I would rather be dead than live knowing I will never be able to exercise the essential liberty and god given right to carry a weapon!

Then recommend some reading material for them, like John Lock, Thomas Jefferson, the Declaration of Independence, and constitutions, ect.

Then OC your *ss off, wait for the :what:,and be cool man!!!:cool:

TyNV

imported post

steveman01 wrote:
DOUBLE POST...SoRY
No problem. I really liked your advice and I did listen to everyone who called me since that was the only thing I was able to do ( I could not get one word in) and I've weighed the pro's and con's. I still support the idea and feel comfortable trying it out and tend to do so.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well let's see, you 19, that makes you a legal adult.

Tell those family members you are an adult and will do what YOU want and they can't stop you. If they call you up to cuss you out about OC, hang up on them.

open4years

imported post

I seriously doubt that you will ever change your family's opinion about firearms. Unless you have some sort of mental problem, their behaviour seems very extreme to me. Are they afraid of firearms and anti-gun or is their concern about you having a firearm? Do you have children that they may have concerns for?

I don't mean to be nosey, but how you handle the situation depends on which of those is their concern. Since you purchased a firearm, I would assume you aren't a felon! If their concern is your being new to firearms, if that is true, enroll in a course.

If they are anti-gun, I don't see it improving until they tire of harrassing you over your ownership of a firearm; If they ever do.

This won't change your situation, but you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.

steveman01

imported post

TyNV wrote:
I really liked your adviceGlad we could help:D
I've weighed the pro's and con's. I actually meant that (and everything following)to be for your argument to your family(when you get an ear) you throw in the pro's and let them throw in the con's and show them who's list is bigger:DThen start the reading recommendations. If it all works out they'll follow your footsteps.(They gotta watch you jump first) I'm happy to know there is a new OC'er out there. Enjoy your new found safety and freedom!
Let us know how it goes....

TyNV

imported post

open4years wrote:
I seriously doubt that you will ever change your family's opinion about firearms. Unless you have some sort of mental problem, their behaviour seems very extreme to me. Are they afraid of firearms and anti-gun or is their concern about you having a firearm? Do you have children that they may have concerns for?

I don't mean to be nosey, but how you handle the situation depends on which of those is their concern. Since you purchased a firearm, I would assume you aren't a felon! If their concern is your being new to firearms, if that is true, enroll in a course.

If they are anti-gun, I don't see it improving until they tire of harrassing you over your ownership of a firearm; If they ever do.

This won't change your situation, but you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.
I seriously doubt I'll change their views also. It's my mom side of the family that's mostly anti-gun. My dad got me the gun since I wanted it for hiking and backpacking mostly ( we have tons of mountain lions and some other problems out here). I also wanted to try out OC. I've been around guns my whole life (Weatherby Vanguard .30-06, Remington VLS .223, etc) this isn't my first gun. Also, I do not have children.

TyNV

imported post

steveman01 wrote:
open4years wrote:
you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.

Absolutely not!!! Because of them we got the "gun control act", they wrote it. They just in it for the $$$$, give it to someone else.
I'm not a member of the NRA and do not plan on joining for awhile.

open4years

imported post

open4years

imported post

TyNV wrote:
open4years wrote:

I seriously doubt I'll change their views also. It's my mom side of the family that's mostly anti-gun. My dad got me the gun since I wanted it for hiking and backpacking mostly ( we
have tons of mountain lions and some other problems out here). I also wanted to try out OC. I've been around guns my whole life (Weatherby Vanguard .30-06, Remington VLS .223, etc) this isn't my first gun.  Also, I do not have children.

Something doesn't compute for me. You said your Dad is fine with guns and bought you this handgun. So, I assume that either your parents are divorced, or will be getting one soon!

Since you've been around guns your whole life AND you have valid reasons for SD, just from animals alone, why the problem? You mentioned some long guns, have you ever owned a handgun before?

More questions! Did you tell your family that you intend to OC this gun? What are they saying to you? Is it "you don't need a pistol" or "if you carry that gun around, you're going to get in trouble" or "you will end up shooting yourself from messing around with that gun"??

I honestly feel for you. I have a sister and her husband that want to make my life h---. If I bought something, they would put it down, etc.

I won't bore you with the details, but it reached a point where life was miserable. I cut off all contact with them. That was 5 years ago. All I have is my 80 year old Mom in a nearby town, but I found peace.

I hope you find peace too. If someone wouldn't let me say a word, I would tell them to call me back when we can have a conversation as I would like to share my thoughts and feelings with you.

So, you've

NightOwl

imported post

My advice to you is to get a good retention holster, and practice drawing from it till you're confident that you can do so without a hitch. With OC, you'll be in public places, and the extra protection of someone else not being able to just slip your pistol out of the holster is pretty helpful.

As for dealing with your family, how about email? They won't let you get a word in edgewise, but if you can shoot out a batch email addressing their concerns with facts and proof, then perhaps they'll respond via email (thus allowing you to respond back, and a conversation is born), or at least you'll have some solid info delivered to them for them to think about. Then when they call you to gripe, you can do a broken record routine "did you read the email? then call me back when you do".

eye95

imported post

Just do it.

But, do it for the right reasons.

Make sure that you are not trying to show anyone anything. You are OCing because it is lawful, because you have trained in the handling of your handgun, and because you want to have it handy should the need to use it arise. Be prepared to be the cooler head in every situation, particularly if the situation involves an uninformed LEO challenging your right to carry. Always be polite. The most disarming action you can ever take is being courteous to others.

Just my 40% of a nickel.

rmansu2

imported post

I am curious about how the family found out and why they have decided to contact and threaten you. If they do infact call the cops in order to have you arrested, I would think about filing charges against them for ..............Dang, I had it and as soon as I got ready to type it, it was gone. There is a charge you can bring them up on if they keep bothering you and do infact call the cops just to have you arrested for legal OC. If I think of it, I'll get back to you.

In other words turn the tables on them. Otherwise go about your daily business with the confidence and knowledge that it is completly legal and sane to carry. Use a good retention holster, possibly something with a thumb-break and practice your draw.

Good luck and carry on.

TyNV

imported post

open4years wrote:
TyNV wrote:
open4years wrote:

I seriously doubt I'll change their views also. It's my mom side of the family that's mostly anti-gun. My dad got me the gun since I wanted it for hiking and backpacking mostly ( we
have tons of mountain lions and some other problems out here). I also wanted to try out OC. I've been around guns my whole life (Weatherby Vanguard .30-06, Remington VLS .223, etc) this isn't my first gun. Also, I do not have children.

Something doesn't compute for me. You said your Dad is fine with guns and bought you this handgun. So, I assume that either your parents are divorced, or will be getting one soon!

Since you've been around guns your whole life AND you have valid reasons for SD, just from animals alone, why the problem? You mentioned some long guns, have you ever owned a handgun before?

More questions! Did you tell your family that you intend to OC this gun? What are they saying to you? Is it "you don't need a pistol" or "if you carry that gun around, you're going to get in trouble" or "you will end up shooting yourself from messing around with that gun"??

I honestly feel for you. I have a sister and her husband that want to make my life h---. If I bought something, they would put it down, etc.

I won't bore you with the details, but it reached a point where life was miserable. I cut off all contact with them. That was 5 years ago. All I have is my 80 year old Mom in a nearby town, but I found peace.

I hope you find peace too. If someone wouldn't let me say a word, I would tell them to call me back when we can have a conversation as I would like to share my thoughts and feelings with you.

So, you've
My parents are divorced.

I mostly have long guns for hunting and I do own a Browning Buckmard .22. I love that thing for target shooting.

I did tell my family that I wanted to try out OC. The weird part was they were fine until I actually got the gun. That's when things hit the fan. My dad knows the firearm is mostly for Hiking and backpacking trips, but, the others think it's all for OC and don't believe me it's mostly for Hiking. They did say "Your going to get shot or arrested on site by police". They think the worse out of everything they encounter.

I'm taking your advice about "I would tell them to call me back" to hear my view and opinion.

Thanks for the post! I really Appreciate it.