• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Having an issue with OC need advice

TyNV

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Just do it.

But, do it for the right reasons.

Make sure that you are not trying to show anyone anything. You are OCing because it is lawful, because you have trained in the handling of your handgun, and because you want to have it handy should the need to use it arise. Be prepared to be the cooler head in every situation, particularly if the situation involves an uninformed LEO challenging your right to carry. Always be polite. The most disarming action you can ever take is being courteous to others.

Just my 40% of a nickel.
Thanks. I understand everything you said.

cscitney87

imported post

Original Poster.. This is easy. I'm a young man too so I understand. First inform them of the law and it's language by phone- not by mail. Be prepared to impress your family members, first- by reciting word for word your authority under the law. Second, explain that you are not paranoid- yet do provide reasons as to why your safety is in jeopardy. "My neighbors car was just vandalized." or "A place in my complex was robbed in broad daylight!" or something similar. You first need to inform them of the authority and then inform them of the risks.

Remember that some of them won't get it. Maybe some cousins will but your uncle Bill doesn't. Or your mom and dad get it but your grandparents refuse it..

You'll have to live with that. Like tattoos or piercings- it's not for everybody. Try your best to respect their wishes. If certain family members don't like you carrying your pistol- please don't OC over their house for Thanksgiving dinner. Just leave it in the car or what-have-you. This will keep the pressure off the remaining supportive family members.

When it's all said and done you'll have to agree to disagree with a few people and come to terms with it.

TyNV

imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
I am curious about how the family found out and why they have decided to contact and threaten you. If they do infact call the cops in order to have you arrested, I would think about filing charges against them for ..............Dang, I had it and as soon as I got ready to type it, it was gone. There is a charge you can bring them up on if they keep bothering you and do infact call the cops just to have you arrested for legal OC. If I think of it, I'll get back to you.

In other words turn the tables on them. Otherwise go about your daily business with the confidence and knowledge that it is completly legal and sane to carry. Use a good retention holster, possibly something with a thumb-break and practice your draw.

Good luck and carry on.
My mom called everyone and then I started to get phone calls that were nothing more than cursing and yelling( by them) I just listened.

groats

imported post

TyNV wrote:
My mom called everyone and then I started to get phone calls that were nothing more than cursing and yelling( by them) I just listened.

If it's legal to do so in your state, record the calls.
Play 'em back at the next family gathering; just sit there and grin.

Then mention the laws about telephone threats, harassment, that nice detective you talked to, and jail time... :)

cscitney87

imported post

No don't "take on" your family members. That's bananas. Nuts! Stay safe and keep open carrying. Keep your family members near at heart. At the age of nineteen, you will still need your family for many many many years to come. You will rely on them.

TyNV

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
No don't "take on" your family members. That's bananas. Nuts! Stay safe and keep open carrying. Keep your family members near at heart. At the age of nineteen, you will still need your family for many many many years to come. You will rely on them.
I completely agree with you! I would never "take on" my family. I just wish they would show some support.

cscitney87

imported post

Impress your family members by showing initiative to educate the uneducated.

I do agree that you should not simply abstain from communication. You should be sure to maintain all normal contact. You don't want anybody to see you detract from the family en whole after starting to carry a pistol. Everybody will speculate as to exactly why you carry if you do not tell them why you carry. Let grandmother know and the rest of the family will know in under 5 hours. She'll call everyone. Refer her to the county Sheriff to verify that crime as struck in the area. If you supply them with the Sheriff's phone number they will stop the "calling the cops" threats.

open4years

imported post

steveman01 wrote:
open4years wrote:
 you might consider joining the NRA. Without the NRA, this forum might not exist because we wouldn't have firearms to talk about.

Absolutely not!!! Because of them we got the "gun control act", they wrote it. They just in it for the $$$$, give it to someone else.

See thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/43544.html

I've read that post before. I failed to check and see if it was yours, so don't take this personal, if it was.

That was one post, from one person who is upset that the NRA hasn't done everything the poster thinks they should have done. The NRA has accomplished a heck of a lot for gun owners. They can't just ask for everything to be done and then it is done! They have to lobby and fight for us. They fight the Brady group, Bloomberg, etc.

The NRA is funded by members. To sit back and say that I'll join the NRA AFTER they have done all I want them to do, is frankly silly. If you want to keep your guns and want more pro-gun bills to pass, you need to SUPPORT the NRA, not bash it. The annual fee gives you the choice of several magazines and your gun rights are fought for. The membership fee is the cost, or less, than many magazines alone.

This is all I'll say as this thread is not about the NRA.