Thread: Man with handgun in Chicago kills intruder and saves own life

Post imported post

Saw this on fox news and thought ya'll might enjoy it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26...est=latestnews

Post imported post

Great article...hopefully that willcome in to play indeciding the McDonald case!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Wow that actually brightened my day up! Awesome story.

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

"Self-defense isn't just a right, it's a duty," said attorney Joel Brodsky. "If this man is prosecuted for saving his own life it's not just a travesty, it's justice turned inside out."

Well said.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

Excellent article! When I read it earlier today there were 410 comments. I read through 10 pages and found only one negative comment (could have been sarcasm). The one negative comment stated that maybe the guy was looking for something to eat or something like that (implying that the man was an illegal alien). Anyway, great story and just in time for the SCOTUS ruling coming up soon.
    The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.

John F. Kennedy

McX

Post imported post

i read the story, but dismiss it as a hoax, as everyone knows there are no guns, nor crimes in chicago.

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    i read the story, but dismiss it as a hoax, as everyone knows there are no guns, nor crimes in chicago.
    lol
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Post imported post

Fantastic news. What is even more fantastic is that there are not (as yet) any aggressive statements from a power-hungry DA about charges...knock on wood.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Post imported post

I think they should charge the old guy. Think about it. If those idjuts charge an old war vet who is 80 years old with a crime for defending himself and his wife from almost certain death......whoa....I think a lot of Sheeple would wake up to how asinine the Chicago Mafia is and the Oduma administration! There is no way the Chicago despots would want that to happen!
    The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.

John F. Kennedy

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Here is a later version with a little more detail from the Sun-Times.
    http://tinyurl.com/2wq95jb

"Man, 80, 'did what he had to do,' killing home invader Intruder had a history of drug and weapons convictions, records show Comments
    May 26, 2010
    By KIM JANSSEN Staff Reporter An 80-year-old Army veteran shot and killed an armed man who’d broken in to the two-flat where he and his wife live in East Garfield Park early this morning and fired at him.
    He did what his son said “he had to do” after having vowed not to be victimized again following a robbery months earlier.

Neither the man nor his wife was hurt.
    He was questioned by police and released without any charges being filed.
    The dead man has a history of drug and weapons convictions. Police said they are continuing to investigate.
    When he returned home, the man, 80 — who walked with the aid of a walking stick and wore a T-shirt emblazoned with President Obama’s face and name — told a reporter he didn’t want to talk about what had happened.
    His 57-year-old son, though, said his father was “sorry that it happened, but it had to be him or us.”
    The son said the intruder, armed with a pistol, came in through a rear window and ran up a rear staircase, banging on his locked door before running downstairs and being shot in a confrontation with the older man.
    The intruder shot first before the veteran fired back and killed him, the son said and police confirmed.
    “Evidently, he missed,” the son said of the intruder. "My father had no choice. It was him or the other guy.
    “I heard boom-boom-boom, and there he was by the back door,” said the son, who was upstairs sleeping at the time of the break-in shortly after 5 a.m.
    Walking slowly from the police car that brought them home, the couple returned to their home at noon. They slowly climbed the steps to their front door and went inside.
    A couple of months ago, the man — a Korean war veteran with three children and six grandkids — had been robbed at gunpoint at his home by three intruders, his son said. The robbers took $150, he said — and his father bought a gun and vowed never to be a victim again.
    “If homeowners can’t have guns to defend themselves and their families, there’s going to be more home invasions,” the son said. “My father’s glad he had a weapon. He did what he had to do.”
    The son said he recognized the intruder from the neighborhood.
    Though police hadn’t publicly identified the dead man, his mother said it was Anthony Nelson, 29, of the 3300 block of West Walnut.
    Nelson had a history of drug and weapons convictions and was last released from prison in December, Lenora Nelson said and Illinois Department of Corrections records confirmed. Nelson was free on parole, the records show.
    Nelson was studying to be a carpenter, his mother said, and was due to start a job next week clearing out homes.
    She said he ate his favorite dinner with her Tuesday night — steak burritos — and that she hadn’t seen him since 9 p.m.
    Of the man who shot her son, she said she has “no feelings for him at all.”
    Neighbors applauded the elderly man’s actions.
    “It’s a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead,” said Curtis Thompson, who lives next to the couple.
    Thompson reflected on the break-in and added, “It could have been us.”
    “I’d have done the same thing," said another neighbor, Audrey Williams, who has known the couple for more than 40 years. "They say we've got to give up our guns. But that's crazy."
    The break-in happened at 5:22 a.m., according to police, when an armed man entered the home in the 600 block of North Sawyer Avenue on Chicago’s West Side, awakening the homeowner, who shot him.
    Neighbors said the elderly couple are longtime residents of the block.
    “They’re a nice, loving couple,” another neighbor, Shaquite Johnson, said of the elderly man and woman."

Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

That was really good reporting for once.

Post imported post

Looks like this man found a cure for repeat offenders.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.