• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how can I ship my legal long guns from CA. to HI.?

4BNBAD

imported post

30/30 lever action.
We moved to HI last year, left long guns in friends safe in So. Cal. I've exhausted all the shippers DHL, FED-EX UPS
USPS all tell me can't do it. If this isn't gun control I don't know what to call it. Help how to get my long guns to my residence in HI.?

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Best I can tell, you'll need to ship between FFL's....i.e., gun shop to gun shop. I personally never had to ship a firearm of anykind, they have always traveled with me. And you have 72 hours to register with HPD.

DocWest8404

imported post

Honestly dude, if you intend on leaving hawaii, IE military on orders, I would just leave your guns in Cali. there is only one range on Oahu, and last I heard, they are trying to shut that one down cause people are too stupid to hit thier targets, and instead shoot the people on the trail two hills over.

I would just leave your guns where they are, unless you don't plan on leaving Hawaii.

4BNBAD

imported post

I'm an old man 68 been hunting a LONG TIME I'll get my ticket punched here. I have no reason to go to mainland except to visit my other old friends.

4BNBAD

imported post

I have just returned from local gun store they will accept an FFL transfer but won't hand over rifle until I have a permit from Police dept. I do not want to do this. Although I purchased all of my long guns from FFL gun store new and registered in my name on Mainland I prefer no one knowing what I have I do not trust Obama and his corrupt administration. He pays no heed to 2nd amendment.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

4BNBAD,

Well, if you move to oppressive 'gun registration required' HI -- whetheryou take your guns with you or buy a new one(s) when you get there -- to keep them in HI legally you WILL need to register them, so 'they' WILL know what you have either way you do it. I'm sure there MUST be some 'illegal' guns there with people who have refused (or forgot) to register them, but who knows what the stats are on registered vs. unregistered. And, the unregistered peoplerisk arrest, gun confiscationor whatever.

I will face the same issue myself (unless laws change by the time I get there) soeither I take a gun with me or leave it here on the mainland and buy a new one there. Then register it.

Like anywhere, you should have at least ONE gun (one is enough for me as one gun will get me another in times of crisis, etc.) but whatever it is, it'll have to be registered. Sad state of affairs in HI but what can you do.

-- John D.

4BNBAD

imported post

4BNBAD , here, I won't register my guns in HI no one needs to know what I keep in my house. I'll take my chances always afraid of the gun grabbers. me retired USMC VIET NAM VET
I've been hunting since 12 years old I'll get a pal to disassemble my ruger 10/22 and ship in several boxes via USPS
i'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS GOES.

4BNBAD

imported post

I'D REALLY LIKE TO GET MY RUGER RED LABEL 12 GA. HERE
i CALLED IN 3 BEARDED TOMS BIG FAT BIRDS MEMORIAL DAY COMING AND NOTHING TO DEEP FRY. I HAVE A FELLOW HUNTER COMING OVER WITH A BOW SUNDAY THESE TOM'S COME IN SO CLOSE i CAN HIT THEM WITH A ROCK.

4BNBAD

imported post

FUNNY I CALLED ATF OFFICE IN HONOLULU TO SEEK SUGGESTIONS FOR SHIPPING GUNS HERE THE AGENT WAS CLUELESS SORTA LIKE NO BUMMER

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

By the time I get there -- and HI still doesn't haveSHALL-ISSUE CC and no OC (the McDonald v. Chicago case at the SCOTUS presently goes poorly for us) -- then maybe I will end up being a test case...and try again. :(

Don't WANT to be but I can't believe HI has gotten away with denyingits resident citizens their 2nd Amendment rights for so long. IMO, a state MUST allow/offer one of the two forms of carry: OC (with no permit) or CC (permit issue is debatable). HI allows neither.

How does this relate to you (and me, when my time comes) getting our guns over there without registering them?

Well, while I'm sitting in jail, preparing my "Hawaii Behaving Badly" case -- for denying 2nd Amendment rights and therefore being unconstitutional -- I can add "getting gun registration repealed" to the list. ;)

-- John D.

P.S. I'm a RVN vet also (Army), but I'm a young guy of 60. Still, might be seeing you someday at theSpark M Matsunaga VA Medical Center (next toTripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu). Aloha! :lol: