• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Chicago shooting deflates anti-gun philosophy everywhere

Dave Workman

imported post

Why Chicago shooting deflates anti-gun philosophy everywhere[/font] 

The incident, which cost the life of recidivist felon Anthony Nelson, known in the neighborhood as “Big Ant,” is bringing a tidal wave of public support for the 80-year-old man who shot him with a handgun, which is essentially banned by law in the Windy City.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m5d27-Why-Chicago-shooting-deflates-antigun-philosophy-everywhereincluding-Seattle

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/39ua9ut

mrjam2jab

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Most of the comments on the two newspaper articles support the elderly gentleman.

So, the question everyone has on their mind is - will Mayor Daley shove a gun up the old man's ass to show that "gun control" works?

Not the gun...just the bayonet. ;)

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

junglebob wrote:
Notso wrote:
I suppose that even if they don't charge him with the gun violation, he'll lose his firearm?
He is alive though. And as someone else in a similar situation commented, they can keep the gun, I have more.
That's true, but the thought of having myproperty stolen from me, by my govt because I justly defended my life somewhat sickens me.

IA_farmboy

imported post

Notso wrote:
junglebob wrote:
Notso wrote:
I suppose that even if they don't charge him with the gun violation, he'll lose his firearm?
He is alive though.   And as someone else in a similar situation commented, they can keep the gun, I have more.
That's true, but the thought of having my property stolen from me, by my govt because I justly defended my life somewhat sickens me.

I would say the say thing, only without the "somewhat". My property is not to be taken by the government excepting just compensation or due process of law. Since the guy was not charged with a crime the firearm should be returned. Given the difficulty in obtaining a replacement firearm in Illinois there is no "just compensation" for taking a person's self defense arms, returning the firearm, or one just like it, is the right thing to do.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

For what purpose was the weapon siezed? Evidence? They have nothing to determine or prove. Meanwhile, this old fella is defenseless against another such attacker.

Chicago is an illigitimate criminal enterprise more than a government. It thrives on misuse of authority under color of law. Daley should have been tarred , feathered 'n run out on a rail long ago. Why they tolerate this thuggery I'll never know.

junglebob

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
For what purpose was the weapon siezed? Evidence? They have nothing to determine or prove. Meanwhile, this old fella is defenseless against another such attacker.

Chicago is an illigitimate criminal enterprise more than a government. It thrives on misuse of authority under color of law. Daley should have been tarred , feathered 'n run out on a rail long ago. Why they tolerate this thuggery I'll never know.
I am sure they seized the handgun because it wasn't registered. They haven't registered handguns since 1968 I believe. If they let him keep it some of the other "slaves" might go out and buy handguns. If the Supreme Court decision turns out favorably there probably will a big surge in handgun ownership in Chicago, especially if the shootings continue.

Dave Workman

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
For what purpose was the weapon siezed?  Evidence?  They have nothing to determine or prove.  Meanwhile, this old fella is defenseless against another such attacker.

Chicago is an illigitimate criminal enterprise more than a government. It thrives on misuse of authority under color of law.  Daley should have been tarred , feathered 'n run out on a rail long ago. Why they tolerate this thuggery I'll never know.

People here are apparently not familiar with homicide investigations.
Police ALWAYS take the firearm as material evidence. It's part of the "crime scene" and there must be a complete investigation, probably an inquest, the prosecutor will have to look at the evidence, and so forth.

Now, YOU (collectively) may not like it, but that's the way it works. In this case, cops will likely keep the gun because it wasn't registered. As I noted in the column, state stature appears to protect the older gent, but we will see if there is any kind of charge leveled against him. At his age, I doubt it, but who knows?

When you shoot someone, no matter what the circumstances, the firearm becomes part of the chain of evidence, and it is going to become part of that package, period. If it was self-defense, and barring any lengthy investigation, chances are you will get the gun back in a few months. But it is going to be in an evidence locker for a while.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

People here are apparently not familiar with homicide investigations.
Police ALWAYS take the firearm as material evidence. It's part of the "crime scene" and there must be a complete investigation, probably an inquest, the prosecutor will have to look at the evidence, and so forth.

Now, YOU (collectively) may not like it, but that's the way it works. In this case, cops will likely keep the gun because it wasn't registered. As I noted in the column, state stature appears to protect the older gent, but we will see if there is any kind of charge leveled against him. At his age, I doubt it, but who knows?

When you shoot someone, no matter what the circumstances, the firearm becomes part of the chain of evidence, and it is going to become part of that package, period. If it was self-defense, and barring any lengthy investigation, chances are you will get the gun back in a few months. But it is going to be in an evidence locker for a while.
Self defense is not criminal homicide. Gun registration is unconstitutional. Chicago is a criminal enterprise. End of story. :cuss:

Mr H

imported post

But not all homicide is criminal.

Kudos to the vet for protecting his family (and taking out a career badguy, saving the citizens the bill for a trial).

But I agree with DW that this is SOP, where the weapon is considered evidence... at least for the time being. I just hope they will make the proper determination that this was a justified protective act, return the weapon, and let the family live in peace.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

What is the point of retaining the weapon? They already know who shot the BG and what gun was used. Do theysieze a LEO's firearm in the same circumstances? No. A LEO has no more 'right' to retain his arms than any other citizen. This duality under color of law is tyranny. It's also major B.S.

What's it going to take... another Revolution?

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
What is the point of retaining the weapon? They already know who shot the BG and what gun was used. Do theysieze a LEO's firearm in the same circumstances? No. A LEO has no more 'right' to retain his arms than any other citizen. This duality under color of law is tyranny. It's also major B.S.

What's it going to take... another Revolution?
I would say probably so.