• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More headaches for Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Badger Guns

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/42659-2.html

Yard Sale wrote:
rottman43055 wrote:
Another angle on race I think about is I bet there are black men who are afraid to OC because of law enforcement in some areas. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
racistmilwaukeepolice.jpg

M

McX

imported post

the only comments of substance i can offer; the majority of the people who come, and show an interest in OC, at least here, are minority. considering they are 'blessed' with living in some of the worst areas of town, i can see their interest as valid. but also i do wonder how they would be treated as open carriers, by law enforcement, and even the public at large. we would recognize them, and show little concern. others? that would be quite a debate!

jamesisel

imported post

McX wrote:
the only comments of substance i can offer; the majority of the people who come, and show an interest in OC, at least here, are minority. considering they are 'blessed' with living in some of the worst areas of town, i can see their interest as valid. but also i do wonder how they would be treated as open carriers, by law enforcement, and even the public at large. we would recognize them, and show little concern. others? that would be quite a debate!

I was wondering about this too, never carried in WI before but.......I'll be finding out firsthand when I come home for a visit this 4th of July weekend

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

johnny amish wrote:
It's sad but true, racism is alive and well in this country. We have been fighting this plague for more than 200 years. Good for the shop owner to stand up like that.

Not just this country, it's a human race thing. Just think the Holocaust, Darfur etc... it goes on and on.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Unfortunately racism will never end. I think of racism in terms of just plain ole animal behavior. How many dogs bark at each other and fight just because they are dogs? It isn't just one color against another color either, it is one color against same color on all fronts. I call that "Internal racism".

I wish we had a more diverse open carry community. It would be nice to see an open carry event filled with people from various cultures and origins....all there for the same cause.:exclaim:

johnny amish

imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
Unfortunately racism will never end. I think of racism in terms of just plain ole animal behavior. How many dogs bark at each other and fight just because they are dogs? It isn't just one color against another color either, it is one color against same color on all fronts. I call that "Internal racism".

I wish we had a more diverse open carry community. It would be nice to see an open carry event filled with people from various cultures and origins....all there for the same cause.:exclaim:
I agree, but it is up to us everyday with every person we see to do our best to spread our message. We can cross the racial and culture gaps if we are vigilant in our efforts and don't let anyone stand in our way. Carry on

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

" I agree, but it is up to us everyday with every person we see to do our best to spread our message. We can cross the racial and culture gaps if we are vigilant in our efforts and don't let anyone stand in our way. Carry on"

I agree Johnny. I agree.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

johnny amish wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:

I agree, but it is up to us everyday with every person we see to do our best to spread our message. We can cross the racial and culture gaps if we are vigilant in our efforts and don't let anyone stand in our way. Carry on
Did you know that originally, Gun Control was meant to disarm African Americans who had been given their freedom? From there it spread to All americans.

See the video "No Guns for Negroes"

http://www.jpfo.org/

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
johnny amish wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:

Did you know that originally, Gun Control was meant to disarm African Americans who had been given their freedom? From there it spread to All americans.

I sure did. I have that documentary. The gun control for blacks goes back to the end of the Civil War (and probably before that) when laws were passed to prevent them from possessing arms. Everyone should watch the documentary. I especially liked the part where the black men (forget what their group was called) took their shotguns to school to stop the racists from keeping their kids from going to school. Now that was GUN CONTROL! These gentlemen also were involved with Martin Luther King Jr.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
johnny amish wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:

I sure did. I have that documentary. The gun control for blacks goes back to the end of the Civil War (and probably before that) when laws were passed to prevent them from possessing arms. Everyone should watch the documentary. I especially liked the part where the black men (forget what their group was called) took their shotguns to school to stop the racists from keeping their kids from going to school. Now that was GUN CONTROL! These gentlemen also were involved with Martin Luther King Jr.

Didn't a lot of it start in Tennessee?

1. 1970 Tennessee amended their Constitution from everyone has a right to keep and bear arms to everyone has a right to keep and bear arms and the legislature can make laws with a view to prevent crime.

2. They legislated that the only pistol which could be carried was the army or navy pistol. Expensive for poorer blacks.

3. They legislated that the pistol only be carried openly in the hand. See a black with a gun in his hand they had a reason to shoot.

4. They then banned the sale of all guns which were not army or navy. Again too expensive for blacks.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
johnny amish wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:

1. 1970 Tennessee amended their Constitution from everyone has a right to keep and bear arms to everyone has a right to keep and bear arms and the legislature can make laws with a view to prevent crime.

2. They legislated that the only pistol which could be carried was the army or navy pistol. Expensive for poorer blacks.

3. They legislated that the pistol only be carried openly in the hand. See a black with a gun in his hand they had a reason to shoot.

4. They then banned the sale of all guns which were not army or navy. Again too expensive for blacks.
Are you trying to insinuate that racism is alive and well in this country? Bahhhh! <--Sarcasm

It is sad. I haven't looked, are those statutes still in effect?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
johnny amish wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:

Are you trying to insinuate that racism is alive and well in this country? Bahhhh! <--Sarcasm

It is sad. I haven't looked, are those statutes still in effect?

The saturday night special laws are no longer. The army navy carried openly in the hand was removed from State law in 1989. However, many cities and municipalities have the law on the books. In fact Belle Meade TN, home of Albert Gore and the majority white Belle Meade Country Club, has the law on their books and have decided not to remove it as of yet. They know it is a racist law.

bellemeadeordinance2010-2page1.jpg

bellemeadeordinance2010-2page2.jpg

PT111

imported post

Documentaries like these tend to leave a lot of stuff out and use emotions to cloud over the actual issues or thoughts. Lots of conjecture has been made about decisions and laws passed after the Civil War and rarely is the whole story put forward. It is very much like the stuff Michael Moore and Al Gore produce. After the Civil war the freed slaves were not as much of a problem as the "Po White Trash" to use a term from GWTW and carpetbaggers. Both of these groups used the freed slaves as fronts for their own personal gain. Much like the companies set up in present day with a minority as the head but not even knowing what is going on in order to take advantage of minority contract awards.

Just as our President is nothing more than a figurehead for a cetain group set up for their own personal gain the freed slaves were used to grab power, land, money and everything else for the carpetbaggers, PWT and other undesirables.Many laws were passed trying to keep from losing everything and some did reflect racism but were not actually intended that way. The problems that most of the South faced were not the result of the freeing of the slaves but the status given to the freed slaves and transferred to others. Much like thesports agents that mae it sound like they are looking out for a plyers best interest when in fact the only thing they care about is their cut.

M

McX

imported post

nice little letter. mentions the discriminatory law(s), but then seeks to discriminate against a law abiding firearm carrying citizen, nasty little slap at kwik in the document too. i guess when people examine, and adhere to the absolute letter of the law, it truly pizzes off the elected officials. absolutely loved the; if your distressed, or see something unusual, call the cops! trying to enlist the sheeple to harrass carriers?

MK

imported post

I am glad to see this business owner speak out like that but I also wonder if the sign itself may scare some customers away. Still though, it was the right thing to do to let his community know what is going on and thathe is upset about it.

If African Americans are being stopped and investigated for no other reason than for leaving that store, I hope they are taking steps to protect themselves against unwarranted search and seizure by exercising their rights. If he hasn't already, this business owner may want to provide a pamphlet for his customers with information about as well as directions to where they can learn more about the laws and their protections from unreasonable authoritative intrusions.

I hope to see more people of differing ethnic backgrounds out open carrying. I am a middle aged white man and haven't hada single negative open carry incident yet. I often wonder how different my experiences would be if I were Latino or African American.

MKEgal

imported post

The newspaper and TV reports showed officers stopping all colors of people. One of the
reasons lots of blacks were being stopped when leaving this store is that it's the closest to
the city of Milwaukee (all of half a block, IIRC), so it's the one that people with limited
transportation (read: inner-city poor residents, aka blacks) will go to. More customers of
a certain race means that when the police pull over every Xth customer, there will be
more customers of that race pulled over.

The other reason they were being stopped is that the police run license plates on the
vehicles as they're sitting in the parking lot, and stop ones that belong to felons. They're
not supposed to posess guns, which includes of course handling one in a gun shop. They're
most likely there with their family member for a straw purchase.

I agree racism is still a problem in (too)many places, but I don't think this is one of them.